Cycling Books :Do you read them ?

Did any of you guys read The Crooked Path to Victory: Drugs and Cheating in Professional Bicycle Racing by Les Woodland ?

Bjørn P.Dal said:
Did any of you guys read The Crooked Path to Victory: Drugs and Cheating in Professional Bicycle Racing by Les Woodland ?
I have... Very interesting book. Once you read it you realise that occurences like the Festina scandal or the Fuentes affair are just turns of the wheel...

I second everyone's recommendations on:

1. French Revolutions; and
2. The Escape Artist.

The first is highly entertaining (remember the 'drrrr... thwack') :D . The second is very interesting, a good read and very emotional.

French Revolutions is hilarious. I loved it.
Bobke II also is very funny in places.
Lance Armstrong's War very interesting.
The Yellow Jersey is a good novel about an over the hill cyclist who comes back to ride the Tour. hated the way it ended, though.
I found The Race by Dave Shields very entertaining, especially the Tour segments.
I enjoyed Heft on Wheels.

Happy Reading

The rider by Tim Krabbé (in English, German and Dutch... and maybe more languages??) Than the books by former Alpe d'Huez winner Peter Winen...

Great reading!

Rough Ride - Paul Kimmage
Two Wheels - Greg Moody
(Reading) - Flying Scotsman - Graeme Obree

One mile at a time sounds good by Dwight Smith

Tales from the ToolBox sound like a good book too but I have to ask if DiabloScott is the author. Diablo ?

lw

lwedge said:
Tales from the ToolBox sound like a good book too but I have to ask if DiabloScott is the author. Diablo ?

Nope - although when the book came out I bought a whole bunch of copies and gave them for Christmas gifts... that was fun. I keep one around to show people for kicks. It does have some interesting stories from an insider's POV but it's not great literature.

Note to readers:
LWedge has recognized that I share the same first and last name as the ex-Team Motorola mechanic who wrote "Tales from the Toolbox".

DiabloScott said:
Nope - although when the book came out I bought a whole bunch of copies and gave them for Christmas gifts... that was fun. I keep one around to show people for kicks. It does have some interesting stories from an insider's POV but it's not great literature.

Note to readers:
LWedge has recognized that I share the same first and last name as the ex-Team Motorola mechanic who wrote "Tales from the Toolbox".
That's the scoop I have on the book as well. I might see if I can pick one up used.... And then I can say I have exchanged thoughts and philosofies with the author.:D

lw

lwedge said:
That's the scoop I have on the book as well. I might see if I can pick one up used.... And then I can say I have exchanged thoughts and philosofies with the author.:D

lw

Let me know if you want it autographed.

It's a real collecters item now but Russell Mockridge's 'My World on Wheels' is a great read with terrific insights into European road and track racing in the 1950's. The chapters on his suffering in the 1955 Tour de France and the 6 day circuit are very well written. You can still find the odd copy on ebay.

If you like a bit of a literary approach once in a while as well, read "Need for the Bike" by Paul Fournel. It is a gem of a book and spells out so well what makes riding so great.

I saw an earlier reference to "Push Yourself Just a Little Bit More" by Johnny Green.....has anybody read this, and what did you think?