Cycling Books?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by abbo7, Apr 9, 2006.

1. abbo7

abbo7 New Member

Hi guys, I am new to the forum and new to cycling (well road cycling anyway). I am currently looking into buying a Bianchi Veloce or perhaps Eros. While I have done some research on these bikes and multiple others I am still in need of some more information. Are there any good books which help explain the ins and outs of cycling for a beginner? Thanks, Adam.

Tags:

2. kaikane

kaikane New Member

Most of the books I've seen don't really cover beginning cycling. Seems like they're geared to more competitive cycling: like Chris Carmichael's "The Ultimate Ride", still a good book BTW (even for a beginner).
    You might take a look at "Bicycling Magazine's 1000 All time Best Tips." Has a lot of packed in a small package.
    Also read Bicycling magazine. They have tons of info every month. :)

3. cali-largeguy

cali-largeguy New Member

[
    As stated most of the cycling books deal with experienced riders. Although there are a few out there for beginners. A good one is Bicycle Maintenance as it talks about you got it, taking care of your bike. Also explains what is and is not important. Go to any Borders or Barnes and Noble and look in the sports section. You should find a good variety of cycling books, both fiction and non-fiction. As an avid reader I've purchased most of them and tend to reread them when I need a little motivation.

4. dbosler

dbosler New Member

5. kaikane

kaikane New Member

6. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

7. abbo7

abbo7 New Member

Thanks for all the info everyone! Looks like I have some reading to do.

8. strummer_fan

strummer_fan New Member

One of the best books about getting serious on a bike is "The Complete Book of Long-Distance Cycling : Build the Strength, Skills, and Confidence to Ride as Far as You Want " by Ed Burke and Ed Pavelka.

The early chapters discuss gear, and then it discusses starting a sensible riding program to build up one's skills and fitness level.

It is a great book for the newer cyclist who wants to do that first 50 mile ride, 100 mile ride, or even longer rides and tours.

see:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=1579541992&itm=1

Cheers!

9. strummer_fan

strummer_fan New Member

The folks at Bicycling magazine also have a book targeted at beginning cyclists called The New Cyclist's Handbook... see:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1579542514/qid=1144817911/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/102-4831535-4527316?n=283155

That might be more of what you are looking for.