Cycling by smell 2

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Apr 23, 2003.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    A couple of years ago there was a post where said that I could work out my location by the wind
    direction and the smells from certain factories I was encountering.

    During last night's 25 mile ride, there was a similar experience which dealt with working out which
    area I was in by the expensiveness of the various clouds of aftershaves and perfumes!

  2. But *why* were you cycling through the Boots Perfume Counter??! :p

    Pete.
    ---------------------------
    Peter Connolly Derby UK

    > A couple of years ago there was a post where said that I could work out my location by the wind
    > direction and the smells from certain factories I was encountering.
    >
    > During last night's 25 mile ride, there was a similar experience which
    dealt
    > with working out which area I was in by the expensiveness of the various clouds of aftershaves and
    > perfumes!
    >
    > --
    > Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:

    > During last night's 25 mile ride, there was a similar experience which dealt with working out
    > which area I was in by the expensiveness of the various clouds of aftershaves and perfumes!

    How long did it take studying aftershaves and perfumes before you could identify them all by smell
    and thereby know how expensive they are?

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    Bernard Shaw

  4. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    > Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > During last night's 25 mile ride, there was a similar experience which dealt with working out
    > > which area I was in by the expensiveness of the various clouds of aftershaves and perfumes!
    >
    > How long did it take studying aftershaves and perfumes before you could identify them all by smell
    > and thereby know how expensive they are?

    I used to work in the edible oil industry and we had a lab containing loads of various essences
    like ambergris, civet's bum smell, musk, ylang-ylang, Castoreum and all that sort of stuff. Either
    that or from hanging around perfume counters.

  5. >During last night's 25 mile ride, there was a similar experience which dealt with working out which
    >area I was in by the expensiveness of the various clouds of aftershaves and perfumes!

    Eau de Peleton?

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    > A couple of years ago there was a post where said that I could work out my location by the wind
    > direction and the smells from certain factories I was encountering.

    Reminds me of cycling/walking past a chocolate factory on my way to school. Surprising
    sickly stench.

    ~PB

  7. Mark

    Mark Guest

    > Surprising sickly stench.

    Super!

    Mark

  8. Si Davies

    Si Davies Guest

    > > A couple of years ago there was a post where said that I could work out my location by the wind
    > > direction and the smells from certain factories I was encountering.
    >
    > Reminds me of cycling/walking past a chocolate factory on my way to school. Surprising
    > sickly stench.
    >
    > ~PB

    i used to ride home through Bournville - home of Cadbury's chocolate. It is almost enough to put you
    right off chocolate - you can virtually feel it clagging up your air ways as you pass...

  9. Simon Mason wrote:
    > A couple of years ago there was a post where said that I could work out my location by the wind
    > direction and the smells from certain factories I was encountering.
    >
    > During last night's 25 mile ride, there was a similar experience which dealt with working out
    > which area I was in by the expensiveness of the various clouds of aftershaves and perfumes!

    LOL. I cycle through a POSH area on the way to the forest, but they must keep all their windows
    closed to keep out ruffians like me :)

    --
    StainlessSteelRat "I'm not talking about the Slayer. I'm talking about Buffy. You've awakened the
    Prom Queen within. And that crown is going to be mine." -- Buffy

  10. On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:28:47 +0100, Simon Mason did issue forth:

    > civet's bum smell

    And does civet's bum smell nice?

  11. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Simon Mason wrote:
    > > A couple of years ago there was a post where said that I could work out my location by the wind
    > > direction and the smells from certain factories I was encountering.
    > >
    > > During last night's 25 mile ride, there was a similar experience which dealt with working out
    > > which area I was in by the expensiveness of the various clouds of aftershaves and perfumes!
    >
    > LOL. I cycle through a POSH area on the way to the forest, but they must keep all their windows
    > closed to keep out ruffians like me :)

    Same here, but some very posh people stepped out of their air conditioned Mercs and Range Rovers on
    their way to a very expensive restaurant. Their smell was startlingly different to the usual cloud
    of Brut + Tramp I ride through on a Friday night in town. Simon

  12. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:28:47 +0100, Simon Mason did issue forth:
    >
    > > civet's bum smell
    >
    > And does civet's bum smell nice?

    Most of the animal scents stink like mad until they've been diluted to miniscule levels. Simon

  13. On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:43:28 +0100, Simon Mason did issue forth:

    > A couple of years ago there was a post where said that I could work out my location by the wind
    > direction and the smells from certain factories I was encountering.
    >
    > During last night's 25 mile ride, there was a similar experience which dealt with working out
    > which area I was in by the expensiveness of the various clouds of aftershaves and perfumes!

    Reminds me of my trip into work the other day. Riding down the hill from my house, I'm normally
    doing 17mph upwards at this point. The road is fairly wide with parking on the left, so I reckon I
    was at least 12' away from the bus shelter at the point that I nearly gagged on the stench of
    perfume from the solitary passenger waiting at the bus stop.

  14. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:28:47 +0100, Simon Mason did issue forth:
    >
    > > civet's bum smell
    >
    > And does civet's bum smell nice?

    Must do to some, it seems to form the base of plenty of cosmetics.

    Colin

  15. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Si Davies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > i used to ride home through Bournville - home of Cadbury's chocolate. It is almost enough to put
    > you right off chocolate - you can virtually feel it clagging up your air ways as you pass...

    Riding along the A10 at Enfield there used to be an overwhelming pear-drop smell from one of the
    factories from time to time. Of course, like all the really nice smells it was probably
    carcinogenic.

    --
    Dave...

  16. "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> writes:

    >On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:43:28 +0100, Simon Mason did issue forth:

    >> A couple of years ago there was a post where said that I could work out my location by the wind
    >> direction and the smells from certain factories I was encountering.
    >>
    >> During last night's 25 mile ride, there was a similar experience which dealt with working out
    >> which area I was in by the expensiveness of the various clouds of aftershaves and perfumes!

    >Reminds me of my trip into work the other day. Riding down the hill from my house, I'm normally
    >doing 17mph upwards at this point. The road is fairly wide with parking on the left, so I reckon I
    >was at least 12' away from the bus shelter at the point that I nearly gagged on the stench of
    >perfume from the solitary passenger waiting at the bus stop.

    The nose rapidly habituates to existing smells, but is very sensitive to change in smell. That's why
    the faster you travel through a smell gradient in the atmosphere, the stronger the smell seems to
    be. That's why you smell more keenly on a bicycle than when walking, and more on a motorcycle than
    when cycling, and why girls never think they're wearing too much perfume.
    --
    Chris Malcolm [email protected] +44 (0)131 650 3085 School of Artificial Intelligence, Division of
    Informatics Edinburgh University, 5 Forrest Hill, Edinburgh, EH1 2QL, UK

  17. Chris Malcolm <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> writes:
    >>fairly wide with parking on the left, so I reckon I was at least 12' away from the bus shelter at
    >>the point that I nearly gagged on the stench of perfume from the solitary passenger waiting at the
    >>bus stop.
    >The nose rapidly habituates to existing smells,

    It depends. I remember having the misfortune to be trapped on a coach 3 rows away from a lad [1]
    whose aftershave was so strong as to leave a chemical aftertaste in my mouth - that did not
    noticeably abate with time.

    [1] modern sense of "lad".

  18. In message <+Xq*[email protected]>, David Damerell
    <[email protected]> writes
    >It depends. I remember having the misfortune to be trapped on a coach 3 rows away from a lad [1]
    >whose aftershave was so strong as to leave a chemical aftertaste in my mouth - that did not
    >noticeably abate with time.

    What? You mean you still have the taste in your mouth? Ugh!
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  19. W K

    W K Guest

    "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > >Riding along the A10 at Enfield there used to be an overwhelming pear-drop smell from one of
    > > >the factories from time to time. Of course, like all the really nice smells it was probably
    > > >carcinogenic.
    > >
    > > Vaguely remembering my grammar school chemistry - isn't that the smell
    of
    > > esters? And aren't they used as flavourings??
    >
    > Dunno Helen. Where's David Belcher when you need him?

    Huh.

    The answer is yes, but I never thought ethyl ethanoate smellt like pear drops, although it is used
    in quantities as a solvent, so the most likely candidate. I once got all the organic acids and all
    the alcohols out of the cupboard once and had a play. Propyl ethanoate was great- rather bannana-y.

    Mix the lot together and its quite nice, but thats another mad theory of mine.

  20. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > > Vaguely remembering my grammar school chemistry - isn't that the smell
    > of
    > > > esters? And aren't they used as flavourings??
    > >
    > > Dunno Helen. Where's David Belcher when you need him?
    >
    > Huh.
    >
    > The answer is yes, but I never thought ethyl ethanoate smellt like pear drops, although it is used
    > in quantities as a solvent, so the most likely candidate.

    Ethyl ethanoate (or ethyl acetate) doesn't smell of pear drops (we make 220 000 tonnes a year of
    the stuff). The "pear drop" ester is Amyl Acetate (pentyl ethanoate) which can also smell of
    bananas in certain quantities.