Cycling Classes, the real deal.

TrekDedicated

Jun 17, 2004
My friends, I have experience a revelation in my cycling training.

Cycling classes. Ironically, my overweight friend dragged me to the class my college offers. Now, I was never cocky in thinking these classes would be a 'walk in the park', but I thought they would be pretty easy/good work out.

Man, I was given a wake up call, and it was a good one. This class is going to help my technique and my cycling ability. I know it was not my bike nor my pedals, but I could see problems with my form, which I assume transfer to my road bike. I could also see/feel where my body is truly weak on the bike. Having a instructor have set intervals and keeping to a strict routine was a discipline I have never really had, so it was 'nice'. And I feel I am going to be so much more prepared for my cycling races.

Yes, there were only a few guys, so I felt a little out of place, but the rewards my body is going to receive is well worth it.

I would strongly recommend adding a cycling class to your routine, you'll learn exactly what you need to work on (ie form and weak parts of your riding)

What kind of classes are these? Are they spinning classes? (Stationary fixed wheel and loud music). Only a few males an the rest females...and you feel out of place??? Just sit on the back and enjoy the view....:eek: :D :rolleyes:

Induray said:
Only a few males an the rest females...Just sit on the back and enjoy the view....:eek: :D :rolleyes:

This is TRUE !!!!! I take classes of RPM (a Body Training Sytem of Les Mills, similar to spinning) twice a week and help me a lot. Now I´m starting with the training rollers (here is winter and the weather is very bad)

Good luck with your classes and like Induray said: enjoy the view !!!!

Marcelo

Induray said:
What kind of classes are these? Are they spinning classes? (Stationary fixed wheel and loud music). Only a few males an the rest females...and you feel out of place??? Just sit on the back and enjoy the view....:eek: :D :rolleyes:
That's what it's all about. I teach an indoor cycling class, and while I can't enjoy the view as much as you lucky few guys in the back of the class;) , I can say that it really is a great workout.
I took some of the workouts that I do with my athletes and just apply them to the class and tone them down a bit to meet the needs of more recreational individuals.

Orange Fish said:
I teach an indoor cycling class, and while I can't enjoy the view as much as you lucky few guys in the back of the class;) , I can say that it really is a great workout.
Maybe you should add some "aerobar position" work to the routine. ;)

You know, to help the triatheletes in the group and give a more well-rounded cycling experience to everyone else. :)

Induray said:

I guess if that's what spinning classes are, then yes, it's a spinning class.

I should clarify, I felt out of place cause it was my first time, so I didn't know 'the ropes'.. Oh I enjoyed the 'view'. There are some attractive females, now I just need the courage to talk to them! lol.

frenchyge said:
Maybe you should add some "aerobar position" work to the routine. ;)

You know, to help the triatheletes in the group and give a more well-rounded cycling experience to everyone else. :)
haha! thanks for the tip! ;) I'll keep that one in mind as I get a few more people in the class.

just curious if this is a college course or just a class outside of school...i saw that it was a college offered class, but is it a credit? it'd be great to get credit for cycling :)..wonder if the college i'm going to attend has that course...

Some schools may offer it, but I wouldn't guess so. It's pretty expensive to purchase spin/indoor cycling bikes, so it's probably not in the budget of many schools. Most of the classes are done at fitness centers anyway.

tehpr3chr said:
just curious if this is a college course or just a class outside of school...i saw that it was a college offered class, but is it a credit? it'd be great to get credit for cycling :)..wonder if the college i'm going to attend has that course...

Hey, I'm in summer classes right now, and this is just a class the fitness center offers. During the main school year, the school does offer fitness classes for credit, but cycling isn't one of them.

But, don't cycle for credit.. lol

I go to UW-Madison and they offer both a road cycling class and a mtn biking class. They are basic and they dont expect you to ride very far but it is definatly fun to get credit for something I would be doing anyway. They also have spinning classes at the gym, but not for credit.