cycling cleats questions

mikewang

Jan 29, 2010
Hello - I'm a student at Art Center College of Design studying product design. This term I am working on the redesigning of cycling cleats. I'm currently in the research phase, and wanted to get some user input. (It's quite difficult to get interviews in person from cyclists, as it is pretty awkward to chase after one and try to get them to stop and answer questions!) I've listed some questions that are important to the development of my design, and would really appreciate if you could spare a few minutes to give me your input.

1) What drove your buying decision when purchasing cycling cleats for bikes with cageless pedals?

2) What are the most important factors in terms of choosing cycling cleats? Price, function, material, color, aesthetics?

3) How important is brand loyalty? Do you tend to stick with one brand after it works? What affects your decision if you choose to stay with that same model or change to another one?

4) What type of gear, specifically, do you use?

5) Do you find any of the features on your shoes to be useless?

6) Does it bother you that it's difficult to walk in the cleats after getting off the bike?

7)If you could change something about the existing cycling cleats, what would it be and why?

If you could, it would be great to get some of your info, like first name, gender, age, city, etc. for the presentation of my research.... THANKS SO MUCH!

here's my 2¢ ----
1) primary: mimimum foot-to-axle distance to maximize efficiency. Went directly to Time pedals in the late 80's. secondary: maximum surface area contact at shoe/pedal interface to minimize surface pressure and 'hot spots'
2) three things are most important to me: 1. function 2. function 3. function ok, durability too.
3) I've stuck with Time ever since the late 80's. They're updated designs have focused on the same areas that made them great choices back then. I've had no reason to change, and I've kept the same interface over the years. This helps with shoe choice as well. I'd have gone to another brand, though, if a clearly superior design was presented.
4) type of gear? I'm assuming this applies only to pedals. Time. That's it. I've a couple of pairs of their later models [Impact] but have a good stock of 1st & 2nd gen Time pedals & compatible shoes [Carnac] to last my lifetime. I do like the newer shoes, though. They work with the newer model Times with the 3-hole cleat pattern. Shoes are definitely advancing.
5) interesting question. never really thought of it. Nothing that strikes me as useless on my shoes pops into my head. They're actually quite efficient, design-wise.
6) no. I don't tend to walk much in my cycling shoes - only at pit stops to fill bottles & such - no issue for me.
7) I would be interested in tighter holding power possibly - make it less likely to pull out. durability is always a primary driver. Not a big thing, though. I've been totally content with what has been available.
Good school there. Lots of talent. I had a friend who went there after GMI way back when. Really awesome hanging out with those guys with car drawings all over their walls!
Hope you have fun!

mikewang said:

1) What drove your buying decision when purchasing cycling cleats for bikes with cageless pedals?

Good quality, light weight, walkability

2) What are the most important factors in terms of choosing cycling cleats? Price, function, material, color, aesthetics?

function, price, walkability

3) How important is brand loyalty? Do you tend to stick with one brand after it works? What affects your decision if you choose to stay with that same model or change to another one?

I usually try new stuff just to see if it's good, and enjoy having something a little outside of the most popular.

Time RXS for road, several types of generic SPD-compatable for MTB and tandem

No, my Sidi road shoes and Specialized MTB shoes seem to be totally functional. I do think they should have a larger/taller heel pad to make it easier to walk in.

6) Does it bother you that it's difficult to walk in the cleats after getting off the bike?

There are several brands of pedals that have an excellent reputation and would have served my needs. Therefore, I choose pedals based on decent walkability. I wouldn't buy cleats (like speedplay) that are difficult to walk in.

7)If you could change something about the existing cycling cleats, what would it be and why?

I'd have to say the Time cleats are very functional and easy to use as-is.

If you could, it would be great to get some of your info, like first name, gender, age, city, etc. for the presentation of my research.... THANKS SO MUCH!

Cam, M, 55, small city in the Northwest US

I didn't expect such thought out answers. thank you guys so much for the replies!

mikewang said:
Hello - I'm a student at Art Center College of Design studying product design. This term I am working on the redesigning of cycling cleats. I'm currently in the research phase, and wanted to get some user input. (It's quite difficult to get interviews in person from cyclists, as it is pretty awkward to chase after one and try to get them to stop and answer questions!) I've listed some questions that are important to the development of my design, and would really appreciate if you could spare a few minutes to give me your input.

bike w/poor rear shock had too much bob, not allowing my feet to feel planted on the pedals

function, price, asthetics in that order

i am VERY brand loyal, and will normally stick with a company aftyer one dud purchase. But I'm not opposed to trying new things if I think they'll function better.

shimano M424, M545 & DeoreXT M770 pedals & cleats / Shimano M038 & Specialized BG Comp shoes

no.

my cleats are SPD so it's not that difficult (a main reason I chose SPD!!)

no. they work really good and are compatible with all my pedals

Russ, male, 38, central Alberta