Cycling clothes without looking a berk?

In news:[email protected],
congokid <[email protected]> typed:
> In message <[email protected]>, david
> kenning <[email protected]> writes
>
>> Anyway, about wool - it's what they used to wear before
>> lycra was invented, isn't it. Merino wool, specifically.
>
> I have a 100 per cent merino wool shirt from Swobo - very
> cosy worn underneath anything in winter.

I have a black merino polo neck that I once bought without
thinking if I actually _really_ wanted to look like an
existentialist philosopher, which is however exceedingly
warm and comfortable. It gets worn only on the bike now, and
is most comfy, if a little inappropriate looking.

"congokid" <[email protected]> wrote <snip>
> They look pretty skin-tight to me: http://www.endura.co.uk/tights-
> multi.html

That photo does seem to show them as tight, but the reality
is close fitting around the ankles and calfs, and looser
above the knee. There is a small amount of flapping when
cycling directly into a headwind but they are definately a
more "flattering" cut.

Fundamentally, if they are tights then they'll be tight,
these are a little more forgiving than most.

Jon

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 12:06:24 +0000 (UTC), "david kenning"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee wrote:
>> Wool is the same wet or dry as is fleece. That's shy
>> sheep don't grow cotton and why cotton is ideal for
>> tropical climates. Maybe tropical sheep have it??
>
>Interesting thought.
>
>Anyway, about wool - it's what they used to wear before
>lycra was invented, isn't it. Merino wool, specifically.

Yeah? That 's handy. Merino wool is bloody cheap down here.
--
Matt K Dunedin, NZ

congokid <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In message <[email protected]>, Doki
> <[email protected]> writes
> >What do you lot wear for riding a bike then?

lycra top lycra bibshorts ^^^^^^^^^ and when it gets
cold/wet, lycra Roubaix tights/Nevis jacket

I may look a ******** but at least it is functional. Why is
it unacceptable to walk around with an ONCE/whatever top but
OK to wear a (whatever football shirts are made of)
O2/Vodafone top around shopping centres/in pubs/on holiday?

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:14:26 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Tchibo cycling jacket

I bought one of those last week[along with some shorts and a
cape]. Haven't had the chance to use it that much yet, but
it seems promising so far.

I've got a kind of innate aversion to really expensive
cycling apparel. 18 quid is about the limit for me!

garryb

> I may look a ********

"There's nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so".

Shakespeare.

Old Bill had it right. You only look a ******** in your own
mind or in the mind of a ********. You should see my mates
and me when we breeze into some hotel or cafe for coffee
etc. on our sunday spin. Lycra, Goretex etc. etc. and nobody
ever remarks on it. It's because we are so used to it we are
not thinking.."Do they think we're Dickheads, or
Richardheads to be correct.?"

"MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I may look a ******** but at least it is functional. Why
> is it unacceptable to walk around with an ONCE/whatever
> top but OK to wear a (whatever football shirts are made
> of) O2/Vodafone top around shopping centres/in pubs/on
> holiday?

The point is I don't perceive myself as looking a "berk"
when dressed in lycra cycling clothes and cycling footwear
when on a bike ride, even during a cafe stop. I might feel a
prat carrying out my job dressed like that (so don't) but
equally I'd feel a prat doing my job in swimming trunks,
climbing gear, football boots, Micky Mouse suit etc. (unless
they were the most appropriate for the job).

--
Regards, Pete

"Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> What do you lot wear for riding a bike then? I'd prefer to
> avoid lycra and so on ;). I've been riding around in jeans
> and army surplus trousers (p'raps I shouldn't have bought
> the lightweight summer clobber) and keep finding that my
> legs have frozen. Any ideas on something normal looking
> and a bit warmer?

Lowe Alpine powerstretch tights. There's a picture of
them here:

http://www.sportsnett.no/wsp/sportsnett/webon.cgi?func=show-
&table=PRODUCT&func_id=LOW28

Not so tight you feel or look like a sausage, more than
comfortable and stretchy enough for cycling or hiking (10%
Lycra), and have the advantage of not being shiny. It's
important to some of us.

Mine have pockets fore and aft. Have to be cinched at the
ankle to avoid getting caught in the chain, but other than
that not flappy enough to be annoying.

Some people might find them too warm, I suppose, but I
have no complaints on that score and I tend to overheat
pretty quickly.

MartinM wrote:
> I may look a ******** but at least it is functional. Why
> is it unacceptable to walk around with an ONCE/whatever
> top but OK to wear a (whatever football shirts are made
> of) O2/Vodafone top around shopping centres/in pubs/on
> holiday?

I tend to think people wearing football shirts look like
dickheads. (I'm also always amused when a football player is
accused of bringing the game into disrepute - how can it
possibly be brought any further into disrepute?)

OTOH, I got a lot of admiring glances and comments from a
group of Italian tourists while wandering round Bath in a
Saeco-Cannondale jersey a couple of years ago.

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Why I like OE6 - http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/misc/oe6.html

"Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> What do you lot wear for riding a bike then? I'd prefer to
> avoid lycra and so on ;). I've been riding around in jeans
> and army surplus trousers (p'raps I shouldn't have bought
> the lightweight summer clobber) and keep finding that my
> legs have frozen. Any ideas on something normal looking
> and a bit warmer?

Life will be a lot better just getting used to looking like
a berk and wearing the appropriate kit.

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 09:02:09 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B"
<[email protected]>:

>The point is I don't perceive myself as looking a "berk"
>when dressed in lycra cycling clothes and cycling footwear
>when on a bike ride

No, the point is why should you give a flying f**k on a
rolling doughnut what you look like, as long as you are
comfortable?

--
Guy
===

"Michael Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Life will be a lot better just getting used to looking
> like a berk and wearing the appropriate kit.

And if he did that, he may eventually get round to thinking
he doesn't look like a berk...

Rich

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I tend to think people wearing football shirts look like
> dickheads. (I'm also always amused when a football player
> is accused of bringing the game into disrepute - how can
> it possibly be brought any further into disrepute?)

I am sure we can find incriminating evidence of some of your
previous examples of dress sence!

> OTOH, I got a lot of admiring glances and comments from a
> group of Italian tourists while wandering round Bath in a
> Saeco-Cannondale jersey a couple of years ago.

Comment from group of women in the pub on last CTC pub night
-- 'Oh (with sad inflection), the men with legs are going'.

Why do you think that you will look a berk? Maybe you should remember that
you will look the same whatever you wear. Its the clothing thats
different!If someone tells you that you look silly-thats there opinion only.
John.
http://www.pbase.com/john28july

--
No direct reply option available. "Doki"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What do you lot wear for riding a bike then? I'd prefer to
> avoid lycra and so on ;). I've been riding around in jeans
> and army surplus trousers
(p'raps
> I shouldn't have bought the lightweight summer clobber)
> and keep finding that my legs have frozen. Any ideas on
> something normal looking and a bit warmer?

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Comment from group of women in the pub on last CTC pub
> night -- 'Oh (with sad inflection), the men with legs
> are going'.

To leave them with the ones who may be not only legless
later but also suffer other consequences of too much drink
that will render them useless to ladyfolk ;-)
--
Regards, Pete

[email protected] (MartinM) writes:

>congokid <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> In message <[email protected]>,
>> Doki <[email protected]> writes
>> >What do you lot wear for riding a bike then?

>lycra top lycra bibshorts ^^^^^^^^^ and when it gets
>cold/wet, lycra Roubaix tights/Nevis jacket

>I may look a ******** but at least it is functional. Why is
>it unacceptable to walk around with an ONCE/whatever top
>but OK to wear a (whatever football shirts are made of)
>O2/Vodafone top around shopping centres/in pubs/on holiday?

Where do you guys all go to find out these subtle nuances in
what is acceptable or not in various contexts?

Since I wear pretty much the same everywhere expect at
weddings & funerals I suspect I must be committing all kinds
of serious social gaffes without realising it.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

You are in good company-I actually wear exactly the same clothes daily and
to weddings and funerals.
John.
http://www.pbase.com/john28july

--
No direct reply option available. "Chris Malcolm"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (MartinM) writes:
>
> >congokid <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >> In message <[email protected]>,
> >> Doki <[email protected]> writes
>
> >lycra top lycra bibshorts ^^^^^^^^^ and when it gets
> >cold/wet, lycra Roubaix tights/Nevis jacket
>
> >I may look a ******** but at least it is functional. Why
> >is it unacceptable to walk around with an ONCE/whatever
> >top but OK to wear a (whatever football shirts are made
> >of) O2/Vodafone top around shopping centres/in pubs/on
> >holiday?
>
> Where do you guys all go to find out these subtle nuances
> in what is acceptable or not in various contexts?
>
> Since I wear pretty much the same everywhere expect at
> weddings & funerals I suspect I must be committing all
> kinds of serious social gaffes without realising it.
>

> --
> Chris Malcolm [email protected] +44 (0)131 651 3445
> DoD #205 IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings,
> Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
> [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 18:22:14 -0000, in
<[email protected]>, "John and Pauline
at Thornbury" <[email protected]> wrote:

>You are in good company-I actually wear exactly the same
>clothes daily and to weddings and funerals.

Don't they get a bit smelly ;-)

--
DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which
appears in my inbox is mine to do what I like with. Anything