cycling clothes

wow

Jun 16, 2004
While i was shopping for some new cycling clothing for the winter, i noticed that cycling clothes typically doesn't come with hoods. I've seen a couple of cycling jackets with hoods that can be tucked into the collar, but on the tags it says that it doesn't recommend the use of the hood while riding - is there a reason for this? Should i not wear my running jacket that has a hood on it while i'm on the bike??

wow said:
While i was shopping for some new cycling clothing for the winter, i noticed that cycling clothes typically doesn't come with hoods. I've seen a couple of cycling jackets with hoods that can be tucked into the collar, but on the tags it says that it doesn't recommend the use of the hood while riding - is there a reason for this? Should i not wear my running jacket that has a hood on it while i'm on the bike??

the hood would blow up like a spinnaker. Not cool.

ed073 said:
the hood would blow up like a spinnaker. Not cool.

Also makes it hard to hear, and see what's behind you. Not too safe.
If you're thinking of wearing a hood to keep your head warm or dry either get a thin skull cap under your helmet, or a helmet cover.

I've tried riding with a jacket with a hood. It really does blow up like a parachute. Very annoying, lots of drag and no matter what I did, I couldn't tuck it away so that the wind didn't catch it and blow it right back out again.