cycling clothing...benefits?..training recommendations

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by kjoel, Mar 4, 2005.

1. kjoel

kjoel New Member

hello again all,

I have been cycling for some time casually and after finally building my dream bike (Bianchi Reparto Course alluminum frame, carbon fiber fork, etc.) I have gone past the point of being a casual cyclist. my question is...what do you recommend for a starting training routine and how much benefit is there in wearing the cycling specific clothing? I can see the benefits of it allowing your body to breathe better and decreased wind resistance...but what other benefits are there...and what do you recommend for wardrobe(have cycling specific shoes with cleats, and a cycle helmet already).

thanks all for the advice. will post pics and details of my bike soon as the film is developed.

Kevin

Tags:

2. neil0502

neil0502 New Member

For training, you'll probably want to post a narrowly focused question to the training forum. You should get all kinds of useful information there.

For clothing: cycling specific gloves, shorts and jerseys are good for warmer weather. Spring and fall conditions call for arm and leg warmers. Nippier days call for full-fingered gloves and tights. Winter is another animal, calling for things like mittens, balaclavas, neoprene booties, helmet covers, etc., etc.

Ear warmers are also good. Just headbands--wool, felt, neoprene, polypropylene . . . whatever.

Good eye protection (sunglasses) are important.

The rest of it is just to ride . . . .

Have fun!

3. JeremyLaBarge3

JeremyLaBarge3 New Member

I would highly recomend quality bike shorts. I have notice the shrinkage factor is much less after rides compared to riding with workout shorts.

4. neil0502

neil0502 New Member

Well, there is that . . . but honestly, you ought to be showering up before shrinkage or non-shrinkage is an issue . . . and there is a tendency for plumpage to occur during that time, so . . . :cool:

5. triguy98

triguy98 New Member

Down here during the summer season (9 months out of the year) the coolmax and related knock offs are life savers. The ventilation and cooling efficency will make or break the ride vs t shirt and shorts. No name (performance, nashbar, supergo, etc) coolmax jerseys work fine, though theyre not too stylish.

And bike socks go a LONG way in keeping the feet from turning into wet balls of soggy flesh. I LOVE my bike socks. As long as their coolmax or soemthing, theyre good. NO cotton.

6. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

A good pair of shorts is key. In addition to aerodynamics and drying, they don't rub against your skin like gym shorts do. They also have some padding, which makes longer rides a lot more enjoyable.