Cycling Clothing Questions

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Micheal Artindale, Feb 10, 2005.

  1. First, am i correct that the combination of shorts and jersey is called a
    bib short?

    For those whom have worn them, a few questions.

    1) how should they fit? snug, tight, loose?

    2) do you, or should you wear anything under them?

    3) what do you do when you have to make use of a tree (take a pee).

    Any other suggestions, I am thinking of getting a pair in the spring.

    Thanks,

    Micheal
     
    Tags:


  2. tcmedara

    tcmedara Guest

    Micheal Artindale wrote:
    > First, am i correct that the combination of shorts and jersey is
    > called a bib short?
    >
    > For those whom have worn them, a few questions.
    >
    > 1) how should they fit? snug, tight, loose?
    >
    > 2) do you, or should you wear anything under them?
    >
    > 3) what do you do when you have to make use of a tree (take a pee).
    >
    > Any other suggestions, I am thinking of getting a pair in the spring.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Micheal


    1) Not entirely sure what you are getting at with your description of "bib
    short", but this should clear it up:

    http://tinyurl.com/5khle (Link to Performance)

    2) Like any other short

    3) Never tried 'em put I've heard you either pull up a leg or stop and let
    off one of the straps. I'm sure the choice depends on the situation at
    hand.
     
  3. "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > First, am i correct that the combination of shorts and jersey is called a
    > bib short?
    >
    > For those whom have worn them, a few questions.
    >
    > 1) how should they fit? snug, tight, loose?
    >

    Shorts should fit like shorts. The top is just there to hold them up.

    > 2) do you, or should you wear anything under them?
    >

    No

    > 3) what do you do when you have to make use of a tree (take a pee).
    >

    The jersey has to come off.

    > Any other suggestions, I am thinking of getting a pair in the spring.
    >

    I like'em. No chafing around the waist. There is the possible chance of
    getting a nipple chafed.
     
  4. small change

    small change Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > No
    >
    >> 3) what do you do when you have to make use of a tree (take a pee).
    >>

    > The jersey has to come off.


    why off, why not just up? Surely if girls can figure out how to pee when
    wearing a leotard OVER tights without taking everything off*** a guy should
    be able to figure out how to pee in bib shorts without taking a shirt off...

    penny

    **the things you learn from (real) dancers....
     
  5. "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > 2) do you, or should you wear anything under them?
    > >

    > No
    >

    Ok, I jumped the gun on this. See below......

    > > Any other suggestions, I am thinking of getting a pair in the spring.
    > >

    >There is the possible chance of
    > getting a nipple chafed.
    >

    A wicking type undershirt can prevent this.
     
  6. Micheal Artindale wrote:
    > First, am i correct that the combination of shorts and jersey is called a
    > bib short?
    >


    What you describe would be called a skin suit. Usually worn by roadies
    in a time trial situation.

    A bib short is a pair of shorts with suspenders built in.

    > For those whom have worn them, a few questions.
    >
    > 1) how should they fit? snug, tight, loose?


    I buy mine lose enough to be able to bring the front down enough to use
    a tree, but the sizing charts all say I should wear a size smaller than
    That.


    > 2) do you, or should you wear anything under them?


    A good undershirt, something like:
    <http://www.defeet.com/apparel.php?catid=30>


    > 3) what do you do when you have to make use of a tree (take a pee).


    See answer to 1)

    > Any other suggestions, I am thinking of getting a pair in the spring.


    Wash them after every ride! then again, one shouldnt have to mention
    that. I like to treat the padding with ASOS chamie cream but thats one
    of those personal preference sort of things.

    Once You try Bibs, you'll wounder how you ever put up with regular
    shorts getting all bunched up all the time.

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Micheal
    >



    Jason
     
  7. "small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > No
    > >
    > >> 3) what do you do when you have to make use of a tree (take a pee).
    > >>

    > > The jersey has to come off.

    >
    > why off, why not just up? Surely if girls can figure out how to pee when
    > wearing a leotard OVER tights without taking everything off*** a guy

    should
    > be able to figure out how to pee in bib shorts without taking a shirt

    off...
    >

    You have a point. My g/f, and a few friends can have their bra off in
    seconds, without ever taking their tops off.
     
  8. gabrielle

    gabrielle Guest

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:43:27 -0500, Micheal Artindale wrote:

    > First, am i correct that the combination of shorts and jersey is called a
    > bib short?


    I believe in these parts it's called "GRS".

    gabrielle
     
  9. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Bib shorts look like bib overalls for skiing only they are short and not
    padded all over like skiing overalls. I don't see too many riders with
    bib shorts on to be honest here on LI. I usually wear either padded
    baggies or combo jersey/lycra padded shorts by Fox. I never wear
    anything under them because they are meant to be seamless. If you sport
    anything with seems underneath your seamless shorts you are defeating
    their purpose. As far as pissing is concerned, for my legs rolling up
    the lycra or the baggies is more of a contest than just simply loosing
    the belt and dropping them down a bit. Same as I'd do for a quick shag!

    Peace.

    tcmedara wrote:
    > Micheal Artindale wrote:
    >
    >>First, am i correct that the combination of shorts and jersey is
    >>called a bib short?
    >>
    >>For those whom have worn them, a few questions.
    >>
    >>1) how should they fit? snug, tight, loose?
    >>
    >>2) do you, or should you wear anything under them?
    >>
    >>3) what do you do when you have to make use of a tree (take a pee).
    >>
    >>Any other suggestions, I am thinking of getting a pair in the spring.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Micheal

    >
    >
    > 1) Not entirely sure what you are getting at with your description of "bib
    > short", but this should clear it up:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/5khle (Link to Performance)
    >
    > 2) Like any other short
    >
    > 3) Never tried 'em put I've heard you either pull up a leg or stop and let
    > off one of the straps. I'm sure the choice depends on the situation at
    > hand.
    >
    >
    >


    --
    David R Marlborough
    DJ Mackelicious
    http://walkingwounded.blogspot.com/
     
  10. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I agree. I sport Nike Dry-Fit tees.

    Peace.

    [email protected] wrote:
    > "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>>2) do you, or should you wear anything under them?
    >>>

    >>
    >>No
    >>

    >
    > Ok, I jumped the gun on this. See below......
    >
    >
    >>>Any other suggestions, I am thinking of getting a pair in the spring.
    >>>

    >>
    >>There is the possible chance of
    >>getting a nipple chafed.
    >>

    >
    > A wicking type undershirt can prevent this.
    >


    --
    David R Marlborough
    DJ Mackelicious
    http://walkingwounded.blogspot.com/
     
  11. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Dude, you should have learned that trick during those back seat sessions
    in high school! :) Yeah, chicks can become MacGivers when they want to
    but if they get a flat all of a sudden they are "clueless." LOL

    Peace.

    [email protected] wrote:
    > "small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>[email protected] wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>No
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>3) what do you do when you have to make use of a tree (take a pee).
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>The jersey has to come off.

    >>
    >>why off, why not just up? Surely if girls can figure out how to pee when
    >>wearing a leotard OVER tights without taking everything off*** a guy

    >
    > should
    >
    >>be able to figure out how to pee in bib shorts without taking a shirt

    >
    > off...
    >
    > You have a point. My g/f, and a few friends can have their bra off in
    > seconds, without ever taking their tops off.
    >


    --
    David R Marlborough
    DJ Mackelicious
    http://walkingwounded.blogspot.com/
     
  12. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Yeah, this is what I see every now and then and it tends to be an old
    schooler sporting this on the trail.

    Peace.

    Slatibartfast wrote:
    >
    > A bib short is a pair of shorts with suspenders built in.
    >


    --
    David R Marlborough
    DJ Mackelicious
    http://walkingwounded.blogspot.com/
     
  13. jack

    jack Guest

    "small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > No
    > >
    > >> 3) what do you do when you have to make use of a tree (take a pee).
    > >>

    > > The jersey has to come off.

    >
    > why off, why not just up? Surely if girls can figure out how to pee when
    > wearing a leotard OVER tights without taking everything off*** a guy

    should
    > be able to figure out how to pee in bib shorts without taking a shirt

    off...

    My GF use to wear her tights over her leotards because it was easier to pee.
     
  14. jack

    jack Guest


    > 3) what do you do when you have to make use of a tree (take a pee).


    Make sure you're alone by that tree.

    Roadie friend of mine was in a open class race where men and women were
    racing at the same time. The race was over a hundred miles long. The race
    is neutral for the first 25 miles. (Have to stay behind a pace car.) The
    race passes under a viaduct around the 20 mile mark. This is where everyone
    ducks into the bushes under viaduct to take a pee. My friend had already
    scouted the area knew exactly which bush to go to. He planned it to
    minimize his pee time so that he can catch up to the neutral pace car
    quickly. During the race everything went according to plan. He found his
    bush and headed straight for it. He pulled his d*ck out and was just about
    to start when he heard a pissing sound next to him. He looked next to him
    and saw one of the girl racers squatting and let it rip. This stopped him
    cold and he couldn't piss. Even after the girl was done and gone, he
    couldn't go. Finally after 5 or so minutes he relieved himself. He did
    eventually catch the neutral pace car but was so exhausted he couldn't make
    the breakaway in the first group when the neutral car pulled over.
     
  15. small change

    small change Guest

    jack wrote:
    > "small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> [email protected] wrote:
    >>
    >>> No
    >>>
    >>>> 3) what do you do when you have to make use of a tree (take a pee).
    >>>>
    >>> The jersey has to come off.

    >>
    >> why off, why not just up? Surely if girls can figure out how to pee
    >> when wearing a leotard OVER tights without taking everything off***
    >> a guy should be able to figure out how to pee in bib shorts without
    >> taking a shirt off...

    >
    > My GF use to wear her tights over her leotards because it was easier
    > to pee.


    Well duh, but I said I learned the trick from a dancer, think Joffrey, ABT
    or Alvin ailey.They don't wear right over their leotards, it looks funny.

    ps
     
  16. jack

    jack Guest

    "small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > jack wrote:
    > > "small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >> [email protected] wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> No
    > >>>
    > >>>> 3) what do you do when you have to make use of a tree (take a pee).
    > >>>>
    > >>> The jersey has to come off.
    > >>
    > >> why off, why not just up? Surely if girls can figure out how to pee
    > >> when wearing a leotard OVER tights without taking everything off***
    > >> a guy should be able to figure out how to pee in bib shorts without
    > >> taking a shirt off...

    > >
    > > My GF use to wear her tights over her leotards because it was easier
    > > to pee.

    >
    > Well duh, but I said I learned the trick from a dancer, think Joffrey, ABT
    > or Alvin ailey.They don't wear right over their leotards, it looks funny.
    >
    > ps
    >


    GF was a dancer too. She wore her stuff that way so that she could get out
    of line take a quick pee and not miss her place do the across the floor
    stuff.
     
  17. dardruba

    dardruba Guest

    So, what fazed him?
    Women need to pee too.
    Do you guys not have mixed group rides when a toilet stop
    is called. Men to the front and women behind is our call.

    Its just a routine. There may even be no trees around, just get on
    with it, or stand and stare at the far horizons.

    We have the same sort of problems with clothing at cross country
    ski races where cold wet clothing needs to be replaced quickly.
    Just do it, a flash of white goosepimply skin in a sportsbra is
    commonplace, you can even see it on TV sometimes.
     
  18. jack

    jack Guest

    "dardruba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > So, what fazed him?
    > Women need to pee too.
    > Do you guys not have mixed group rides when a toilet stop
    > is called. Men to the front and women behind is our call.


    Yes we have mixed groups rides and yes women have to go too. The usual
    exercise is for women to go to a different tree or bush. Even in this race
    you'll see the women who have to go, go together as a group toward one spot
    and the guys to another. Public urination is illegal in this State and we
    don't want bad publicity for this race. The idea is get secluded from the
    road so that cars passing won't see a mass pissing exercise. What was
    funny in this situation was my friend went to the trouble of scouting the
    area to find a secluded spot closer to the road to minimize his down time
    from the pace car. What he didn't realized was that the girl, who he
    didn't know, either followed him or scouted the same spot. He didn't
    anticpate a girl squatting inches beside him with her shorts to her knees
    doing her business. This race is different because of the neutral zone.

    Women and men have different psychology when it comes to racing and pissing.
    For guys in a race that is not neutralized, the attitude is too bad if you
    have to go. Just piss in your pants. I've seen plenty of that. The
    dripping of pee off the shoe is unmistakable. On the other hand one of my
    female racer friends in an all women's race had to go badly. She managed to
    negociate a neutral stop for the women who had to go. All you needed was
    one women to say no and the deal would have been off. I personally would
    have said no because she is one of the strongest racers. And yes she did
    win.
     
  19. small change

    small change Guest

    jack wrote:
    > "dardruba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> So, what fazed him?
    >> Women need to pee too.
    >> Do you guys not have mixed group rides when a toilet stop
    >> is called. Men to the front and women behind is our call.

    >
    > Yes we have mixed groups rides and yes women have to go too. The
    > usual exercise is for women to go to a different tree or bush. Even
    > in this race you'll see the women who have to go, go together as a
    > group toward one spot and the guys to another. Public urination is
    > illegal in this State and we don't want bad publicity for this race.
    > The idea is get secluded from the road so that cars passing won't
    > see a mass pissing exercise. What was funny in this situation was
    > my friend went to the trouble of scouting the area to find a secluded
    > spot closer to the road to minimize his down time from the pace car.
    > What he didn't realized was that the girl, who he didn't know, either
    > followed him or scouted the same spot. He didn't anticpate a girl
    > squatting inches beside him with her shorts to her knees doing her
    > business. This race is different because of the neutral zone.


    Physiologically, it's way easier for a guy to pee while riding.. a guy can
    just hang it off the side, ya know?

    For me, sounds like yet another reason *not* to race.

    Penny





    >
    > Women and men have different psychology when it comes to racing and
    > pissing. For guys in a race that is not neutralized, the attitude is
    > too bad if you have to go. Just piss in your pants. I've seen
    > plenty of that. The dripping of pee off the shoe is unmistakable.
    > On the other hand one of my female racer friends in an all women's
    > race had to go badly. She managed to negociate a neutral stop for
    > the women who had to go. All you needed was one women to say no and
    > the deal would have been off. I personally would have said no
    > because she is one of the strongest racers. And yes she did win.
     
  20. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    small change wrote:
    > jack wrote:
    >
    >>"dardruba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>>So, what fazed him?
    >>>Women need to pee too.
    >>>Do you guys not have mixed group rides when a toilet stop
    >>>is called. Men to the front and women behind is our call.

    >>
    >>Yes we have mixed groups rides and yes women have to go too. The
    >>usual exercise is for women to go to a different tree or bush. Even
    >>in this race you'll see the women who have to go, go together as a
    >>group toward one spot and the guys to another. Public urination is
    >>illegal in this State and we don't want bad publicity for this race.
    >>The idea is get secluded from the road so that cars passing won't
    >>see a mass pissing exercise. What was funny in this situation was
    >>my friend went to the trouble of scouting the area to find a secluded
    >>spot closer to the road to minimize his down time from the pace car.
    >>What he didn't realized was that the girl, who he didn't know, either
    >>followed him or scouted the same spot. He didn't anticpate a girl
    >>squatting inches beside him with her shorts to her knees doing her
    >>business. This race is different because of the neutral zone.

    >
    >
    > Physiologically, it's way easier for a guy to pee while riding.. a guy can
    > just hang it off the side, ya know?


    Would that be to the left or right?

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws
     
Loading...
Loading...