Cycling Club AGM - Board - any advice ??

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
We had the local cycling club agm last night.
As with a lot of voluntary positions, the committee twisted arms of various people in order to go forward for election.
I duly got myself elected to be committee for the next 12 months.

I would be very interested to hear from other members of clubs and to hear about their policies about trying to attaract more members, funding, committee work, and the like.

My initial view is that it is tough going trying to attract members and trying to retain existing membership.
The constraint on peoples time through work/family life make it harder for clubs to get new blood and to get people to volunteer to do work for the club.

Therefore I would appreciate any observations from club members and/or club committee members regarding how their club tries to address these issues.

Thanks.

limerickman said:
We had the local cycling club agm last night....
My initial view is that it is tough going trying to attract members and trying to retain existing membership.
The constraint on peoples time through work/family life make it harder for clubs to get new blood and to get people to volunteer to do work for the club.

LimerickMan:

We formed a club last year, mainly people in work. Our first aim was to do a charity run from Mizzen Head to Malin Head to raise funs for a local hospice. We did that and had great crack but the steam has gone out of the club since, and we had no real activites during the summer. We're finding it hard to inject some enthusiasm into things, maybe the spring will improve peoples form. By the way we're based in Cork, mostly around the city but a few lads from North Cork as well.

limerickman said:
We had the local cycling club agm last night.
As with a lot of voluntary positions, the committee twisted arms of various people in order to go forward for election.
I duly got myself elected to be committee for the next 12 months.

I would be very interested to hear from other members of clubs and to hear about their policies about trying to attaract more members, funding, committee work, and the like.

Therefore I would appreciate any observations from club members and/or club committee members regarding how their club tries to address these issues.

Thanks.
No secret solutions. 5% of the volunteers do 95% of the work keeping the club running. Celebrate your volunteers.

Thanks fellas.
I realise that 95% of the club activities is down to the work of the 5% as you say Sprout.
This has always been the case, I suppose.

Cod : I remember hearing coverage of the event on the radio (I think it was Philip Cawley on Today FM, who gave your event regular mentions on his afternoon show, Cherynobol wasn't it ???).
If you're looking to do it again in 2006 - please feel free to drop me a line and I will try to put people your way.