Cycling Clubs in East Kent

Simonb

Guest
Any recommendations? We're moving to Ramsgate in August. Are there any clubs
which are particularly active and don't focus entirely on time trialling.

Simonb wrote:
> Any recommendations? We're moving to Ramsgate in August. Are there any clubs
> which are particularly active and don't focus entirely on time trialling.

San Fairy Ann? they run AUK events but not sure where based.

ps great news about the move ;-)

MartinM wrote:

> San Fairy Ann? they run AUK events but not sure where based.

I was considering SFA when we thought we might be moving closer to
Maidstone, but it's a bit of a long way away.

> ps great news about the move ;-)

Ta! Lots of house for the money; looking forward to easy access to northern
France/ Belgium in the spring.

Simonb wrote:
> Any recommendations? We're moving to Ramsgate in August. Are there any clubs
> which are particularly active and don't focus entirely on time trialling.

Hmm, that rules out Thanet RC, then.

You could try VC Deal, who I think are more into road racing. And
they're certainly no slouches - they have an ex-pro among their number.
I see them about locally quite a lot and they usually have a contingent
in local events that I've taken part in (ie sportive and AUK rides).
http://activfolkestone.com/vcdeal/

I ride with Canterbury CC - we would be considered fast by the average
CTC Sunday afternoon pootlers but slow by serious roadies (most of our
members are, ahem, "veterans"). But you're more than welcome to come
out and join us one Sunday morning if you fancy it - we meet outside
Canterbury post office at 8.30am. We don't really go in for proper
racing as a club.
http://www.canterburycycleclub.net/

There's also VC Elan, based somewhere locally, but I don't know much
about them and I think they might be mostly into triathlons. Likewise
Deal Tri.
http://www.dealtri.co.uk/

San Fairy Ann that Martin mentioned are, I think, based in Ashford or
thereabouts. I think they are a similar level to us, but are a bigger
club and certainly very active.

here's a list of contacts that might be useful - though I don't think
it's particularly up to date:
http://www.kent.gov.uk/sp/cycling/cyc-contacts.htm

d.

Simonb wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
>
> > San Fairy Ann? they run AUK events but not sure where based.

> I was considering SFA when we thought we might be moving closer to
> Maidstone, but it's a bit of a long way away.

and looking at the website it seems a bit hard core, Ok they organise
an AUK but so does my club ;-)

davek sounds like the man to ask

MartinM wrote:
> davek sounds like the man to ask

Tbh, I don't know much about other clubs in this area but I did ask
m'colleagues this morning and the consensus view was that VC Deal would
probably be most suitable for Simon's needs. Their Sunday rides are
usually split into two groups - during racing season, one group rides
70-90 miles at an average 20mph (probably faster, in truth), and they
won't wait if they drop you. Then there's the /really/ hardcore
group....

No, only joking - the second group takes it somewhat slower (around
15mph average) and usually does a shorter ride. I've ridden with them a
couple of times and they're a nice bunch.

By comparison, we did 96km (60 miles?) this morning (well, /I/ did that
distance - the others did less because they all live rather closer to
where the group meets) at an average of about 16mph (my computer shows
25kmh dead) - that's fairly fast by our usual standards but (a) we did
one of our flatter routes, and (b) I was really flying today and towing
the oldies along for long stretches. Definitely had a bit of zip in my
legs this morning. Even had to slow down a few times cos I was in
danger of dropping everyone. I wish I felt that good more often...

d.

davek wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
> > davek sounds like the man to ask

> Tbh, I don't know much about other clubs in this area but I did ask
> m'colleagues this morning and the consensus view was that VC Deal would
> probably be most suitable for Simon's needs. Their Sunday rides are
> usually split into two groups - during racing season, one group rides
> 70-90 miles at an average 20mph (probably faster, in truth), and they
> won't wait if they drop you. Then there's the /really/ hardcore
> group....
>
> No, only joking - the second group takes it somewhat slower (around
> 15mph average) and usually does a shorter ride. I've ridden with them a
> couple of times and they're a nice bunch.
>
> By comparison, we did 96km (60 miles?) this morning (well, /I/ did that
> distance - the others did less because they all live rather closer to
> where the group meets) at an average of about 16mph (my computer shows
> 25kmh dead) - that's fairly fast by our usual standards but (a) we did
> one of our flatter routes, and (b) I was really flying today and towing
> the oldies along for long stretches. Definitely had a bit of zip in my
> legs this morning. Even had to slow down a few times cos I was in
> danger of dropping everyone. I wish I felt that good more often...

what's the housing market like round there ? ;-) seriously I do
occasionally get very good club runs; it comes down to having enough
slower riders to stand their ground and not be tempted to tear it up.
Club runs are the one chance for all abilities and persuasions to come
together when it doesn't matter too much.

Simonb wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
>
> > San Fairy Ann? they run AUK events but not sure where based.

> I was considering SFA when we thought we might be moving closer to
> Maidstone, but it's a bit of a long way away.
>
> > ps great news about the move ;-)

> Ta! Lots of house for the money; looking forward to easy access to northern
> France/ Belgium in the spring.

and the Invicta 400! have pencilled that one in as none of the other
biggies are convenient for Alpine exploits around the same time.