Cycling Clubs in East Kent

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simonb, Jul 15, 2005.

  1. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Any recommendations? We're moving to Ramsgate in August. Are there any clubs
    which are particularly active and don't focus entirely on time trialling.

    Tags:

  2. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Simonb wrote:
    > Any recommendations? We're moving to Ramsgate in August. Are there any clubs
    > which are particularly active and don't focus entirely on time trialling.

    San Fairy Ann? they run AUK events but not sure where based.

    ps great news about the move ;-)

  3. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > San Fairy Ann? they run AUK events but not sure where based.

    I was considering SFA when we thought we might be moving closer to
    Maidstone, but it's a bit of a long way away.

    > ps great news about the move ;-)

    Ta! Lots of house for the money; looking forward to easy access to northern
    France/ Belgium in the spring.

  4. davek

    davek Guest

    Simonb wrote:
    > Any recommendations? We're moving to Ramsgate in August. Are there any clubs
    > which are particularly active and don't focus entirely on time trialling.

    Hmm, that rules out Thanet RC, then.

    You could try VC Deal, who I think are more into road racing. And
    they're certainly no slouches - they have an ex-pro among their number.
    I see them about locally quite a lot and they usually have a contingent
    in local events that I've taken part in (ie sportive and AUK rides).
    http://activfolkestone.com/vcdeal/

    I ride with Canterbury CC - we would be considered fast by the average
    CTC Sunday afternoon pootlers but slow by serious roadies (most of our
    members are, ahem, "veterans"). But you're more than welcome to come
    out and join us one Sunday morning if you fancy it - we meet outside
    Canterbury post office at 8.30am. We don't really go in for proper
    racing as a club.
    http://www.canterburycycleclub.net/

    There's also VC Elan, based somewhere locally, but I don't know much
    about them and I think they might be mostly into triathlons. Likewise
    Deal Tri.
    http://www.dealtri.co.uk/

    San Fairy Ann that Martin mentioned are, I think, based in Ashford or
    thereabouts. I think they are a similar level to us, but are a bigger
    club and certainly very active.

    here's a list of contacts that might be useful - though I don't think
    it's particularly up to date:
    http://www.kent.gov.uk/sp/cycling/cyc-contacts.htm

    d.

  5. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Simonb wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    >
    > > San Fairy Ann? they run AUK events but not sure where based.

    > I was considering SFA when we thought we might be moving closer to
    > Maidstone, but it's a bit of a long way away.

    and looking at the website it seems a bit hard core, Ok they organise
    an AUK but so does my club ;-)

    davek sounds like the man to ask

  6. davek

    davek Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > davek sounds like the man to ask

    Tbh, I don't know much about other clubs in this area but I did ask
    m'colleagues this morning and the consensus view was that VC Deal would
    probably be most suitable for Simon's needs. Their Sunday rides are
    usually split into two groups - during racing season, one group rides
    70-90 miles at an average 20mph (probably faster, in truth), and they
    won't wait if they drop you. Then there's the /really/ hardcore
    group....

    No, only joking - the second group takes it somewhat slower (around
    15mph average) and usually does a shorter ride. I've ridden with them a
    couple of times and they're a nice bunch.

    By comparison, we did 96km (60 miles?) this morning (well, /I/ did that
    distance - the others did less because they all live rather closer to
    where the group meets) at an average of about 16mph (my computer shows
    25kmh dead) - that's fairly fast by our usual standards but (a) we did
    one of our flatter routes, and (b) I was really flying today and towing
    the oldies along for long stretches. Definitely had a bit of zip in my
    legs this morning. Even had to slow down a few times cos I was in
    danger of dropping everyone. I wish I felt that good more often...

    d.

  7. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    davek wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    > > davek sounds like the man to ask

    > Tbh, I don't know much about other clubs in this area but I did ask
    > m'colleagues this morning and the consensus view was that VC Deal would
    > probably be most suitable for Simon's needs. Their Sunday rides are
    > usually split into two groups - during racing season, one group rides
    > 70-90 miles at an average 20mph (probably faster, in truth), and they
    > won't wait if they drop you. Then there's the /really/ hardcore
    > group....
    >
    > No, only joking - the second group takes it somewhat slower (around
    > 15mph average) and usually does a shorter ride. I've ridden with them a
    > couple of times and they're a nice bunch.
    >
    > By comparison, we did 96km (60 miles?) this morning (well, /I/ did that
    > distance - the others did less because they all live rather closer to
    > where the group meets) at an average of about 16mph (my computer shows
    > 25kmh dead) - that's fairly fast by our usual standards but (a) we did
    > one of our flatter routes, and (b) I was really flying today and towing
    > the oldies along for long stretches. Definitely had a bit of zip in my
    > legs this morning. Even had to slow down a few times cos I was in
    > danger of dropping everyone. I wish I felt that good more often...

    what's the housing market like round there ? ;-) seriously I do
    occasionally get very good club runs; it comes down to having enough
    slower riders to stand their ground and not be tempted to tear it up.
    Club runs are the one chance for all abilities and persuasions to come
    together when it doesn't matter too much.

  8. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Simonb wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    >
    > > San Fairy Ann? they run AUK events but not sure where based.

    > I was considering SFA when we thought we might be moving closer to
    > Maidstone, but it's a bit of a long way away.
    >
    > > ps great news about the move ;-)

    > Ta! Lots of house for the money; looking forward to easy access to northern
    > France/ Belgium in the spring.

    and the Invicta 400! have pencilled that one in as none of the other
    biggies are convenient for Alpine exploits around the same time.