cycling clubs in london

FLETCHER

Oct 28, 2003
Need to find a CTC or road racing club based in central london - so that I can join in for weekend rides. Most seen to be based out of town.

Does anyone know of one?

Try contacting the CTC or British Cycling directly, they should be able to help.

Originally posted by FLETCHER
Need to find a CTC or road racing club based in central london - so that I can join in for weekend rides. Most seen to be based out of town.

Does anyone know of one?

As a West Londoner I'm replying because I'm aware that the Surrey and West London clubs have a lot of members from Central London. And where I cycle in Surrey I'm always meeting riders from Central London. Probably North London and Chiltern clubs similarly have riders from Central London, and East London or South London clubs.

Maybe you should look at map and decide which is preferred location for rides. The Kent clubs in South London are very strong, have fast TT courses and good mixture of hills, and within reach of coast. The SouthWest clubs in Surrey have the Surrey Hills, North Downs and can easily access coast on flat roads, The West London clubs can access Surrey, Chiltern hills, High Wycombe, Thame or the generally flat areas around Reading, Newbury. The NorthWest London clubs can access Chilterns and other areas from Harrow and also are often in Surrey. I don't know much about East London clubs except that they're very popular. East and North London can use Eastway circuit. West London can use Hillingdon circuit.

Richmond Park in South West London is very popular for training. On a Saturrday there are 4 groups of 20-40 riders each who do around 4 laps - I think they're led by BikeParks which has it's own club.

Big clubs who are very welcoming to new riders and have strong racing connections in Surrey, West London are BikePark (perhaps it's changed it's name, SigmaSport at Kingston, Surrey, VC Meudon (Surrey), TwickenhamCC (WestLondon, Surrey),WillesdenCC(North London, strong Audax contingent), WembleyCC, Kingston Whs. The Archer Road Club in the past had many central London riders but I don't know how active it is.

The Soho CC used to be a strong and friendly club and was based on the cycling shop in Soho, Central London but was more touring than racing.

Did you find one Fletcher? I've been a member of Addiscombe Club until recently which was a great club but am now looking for a new one (boring reason don't ask). I'm not serious - 40-50 miles at 15mph doesme fine. Anyone know of a club like that - I'm Clapham based.