Cycling clubs in Sydney

RossB

New Member
Aug 20, 2003
As a new cyclist, I'm looking for a cycling club in Sydney to join. Ideally, I would like to find a club which caters to beginners as well as experienced cyclists, which has some skills training rides, as well as longer bunch rides, and is located centrally or in the eastern suburbs. The Randwick-Botany club looks ideal, but are there any other clubs that could also be suitable?

Outside of clubs, are there any other regular rides - e.g. shop rides - that cater for newer cyclists and which don't average more than 20-25kph, and which don't expect tight bunch riding skills and fast paceline manoevres?

Ross,

Go to a newsagent and buy a magazine called "Australian Cyclist" In the middle of the mag, they have
many different rides and events for Sydney and all over Australia....this will be a good
start....also coming up on the 30th Nov.03, there is the Cycle Sydney ride where about 6000+
cyclists will leave North Sydney oval and riding to Parramatta..it's a good day out and well catered
for and will help out a charity. The bunching can be a bit tight in the city area but i beleive this
year the route has changed a little due to Tunnel work in the city and the RTA & Police have decided
to give us more lanes than before.good luck and happy riding!!

"RossB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> As a new cyclist, I'm looking for a cycling club in Sydney to join. Ideally, I would like to find
> a club which caters to beginners as well as experienced cyclists, which has some skills training
> rides, as well as longer bunch rides, and is located centrally or in the eastern suburbs. The
> Randwick-Botany club looks ideal, but are there any other clubs that could also be suitable?
>
> Outside of clubs, are there any other regular rides - e.g. shop rides - that cater for newer
> cyclists and which don't average more than 20-25kph, and which don't expect tight bunch riding
> skills and fast paceline manoevres?

Good advice from DJ.
Randwick Botany seem a reasonable group.
Sydney Cycling Club, who circulate around centenial park are not a friendly bunch though. When my wife and I tried joining them for a Saturday ride we found them thoroughly objectionable.
They even have a designated ride *****. Others have mentioned their behaviour in the letters column in Bicycling.
Some shops run training rides. Ashfield Cycles (I haven't ridden with) and Stanmore Cycles (really friendly, will stop when you have a flat) organise rides on Saturday mornings and I am sure there are plenty of others.