Cycling clubs in Victoria

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
Hey

I only know closely about 2 of the clubs listed here and losely of a third (I think this list came from CSV http://www.vic.cycling.org.au/ on their links page, thanks CSV (even if it wastn from there):) )

Blackburn CC - My club....the guys there are fantastic. They arent the biggest club, but they run one of the best road race seasons (no criteriums though :<), and they organise allot of the BIGGER races in Melbourne like the race up the 1:20 (a road up the dandenongs, fantastic ride up and down, im going to do it after I post this) and road races at Metec in Kilsyth (they're run like a criterium). They also have a very good track racing tournament at their velodrome in Nunawading. Go there, Watch, Meet the guys JOIN BLACKBURN :D

Carnegie Cycling Club - I race at this clubs events twice a week, once at Sandown Raceway on tuesdays, and once at Glenvale Crescent on sundays. Fantastic races, well organised, El Presidente is a champion, although they dont really organise any races apart from criteriums like those 2. Expect to see 200+ riders at each race.

Coburg CC - Only stumpled on this clubs website thismorning and they've piqued my interest enough to start roping in friends to race in their tour of the southern grampions in training for the Baw Baw classic. They run Track and Road races as well as some larger tour's with good prize money.

Originally posted by Timberwolf
"although they dont really organise any races apart from criteriums like those"

I'm a Blackburn member too, so concur with your comments on Blackburn, but you obviously haven't been racing very long - Carngie run road races all through winter, plus 2 lots of track racing and two crits a week during summer.

Of all the clubs, Carneige run the most races by far. But Blackburn will make some effort to make you welcome if you're considering joining....

As yet another Blackburn member, I would like to add that Blackburn are the club with the most regular track racing for juniors during the summer, almost every Saturday. The track training is also superb, catering for a wide range of ages, abilities, etc.

As for road racing,the racing is not so regular (only every couple of weeks) and besides that I don't know much... I will, however, be competing more seriously in the road scene this season as opposed to my traditional 1 crit per season I've been doing for the last 3 years... ;)

Now I just need to figure out who you two are... :rolleyes:

hmmmmm...........I was gonna start cycling and join the Latrobe Valley Cycling club. But the site's old and i cant find any contacts on it....what now!..?

Also, how old r u guys. Im 14.

thanks

Originally posted by Bluey_27
hmmmmm...........I was gonna start cycling and join the Latrobe Valley Cycling club. But the site's old and i cant find any contacts on it....what now!..?

thanks

I'm a big 17 year old. :p

Coburg is a small club (about 50 members). We have road racing every week from May to October as part of the northern combine (Brunswick,Coburg,Preston,Northcote, Hawthorn,Melton and Sunbury). Problem is lack of number in the depths of winter when only 30 riders turn up.

We recently ran a "summer" (actually in March) road race in Coleraine (4yrs from Melbourne) and attracted 100 riders.

Is this the same with Blackburn/Carnegie ie nobody rocks up in the depths of winter to do road races?

We will start with 120+ riders at our first road race and will loose 5 per week for the rest of the season.

Some will be doing opens, but the rest do not want to race in winter! Any comments?

Originally posted by luke1972
Coburg is a small club (about 50 members). We have road racing every week from May to October as part of the northern combine (Brunswick,Coburg,Preston,Northcote, Hawthorn,Melton and Sunbury). Problem is lack of number in the depths of winter when only 30 riders turn up.

We recently ran a "summer" (actually in March) road race in Coleraine (4yrs from Melbourne) and attracted 100 riders.

Is this the same with Blackburn/Carnegie ie nobody rocks up in the depths of winter to do road races?

We will start with 120+ riders at our first road race and will loose 5 per week for the rest of the season.

Some will be doing opens, but the rest do not want to race in winter! Any comments?

Coleraine may seem 4yrs from Melbourne, actually it is 4hrs drive.

thanks

The site has been updated!

looks pretty old 2 me................nothin new...

Sorry you are right. It looks like they do not have any contact details on their own site.

thanks

The club committee meets on the third Tuesday of the month at 7:30 pm at the Morwell Club, Morwell. All members and prospective members are welcome.
2003/4 Executive Committee

President: Darren Spiteri (cluster) Ph 5176 2555

Vice President: Vacant

Secretary: Alex Townley - [email protected]

Treasurer: Sharon Gibson - [email protected]

Originally posted by Kylie-Anne
The club committee meets on the third Tuesday of the month at 7:30 pm at the Morwell Club, Morwell. All members and prospective members are welcome.
2003/4 Executive Committee

President: Darren Spiteri (cluster) Ph 5176 2555

Vice President: Vacant

Secretary: Alex Townley - [email protected]

Treasurer: Sharon Gibson - [email protected]

Yeah, I've posted on their forum and I might be going 2 the meeting this Monday.
Thanks

I'm new to cycling... im actually into triathlon (please dont crucify me yet). im pretty keen to do some cycling races and st kilda is the closest club to me but it seems carnegie or blackburn are more active clubs.

does anyone know what the atmosphere is like in these clubs for women's racing? im 20, have been on a road bike for a year and havent ridden anywhere else besides beach rd to Mt Eliza, and Kew Blvd.

Thanks,
Su

Originally posted by su22
I'm new to cycling... im actually into triathlon (please dont crucify me yet). im pretty keen to do some cycling races and st kilda is the closest club to me but it seems carnegie or blackburn are more active clubs.

does anyone know what the atmosphere is like in these clubs for women's racing? im 20, have been on a road bike for a year and havent ridden anywhere else besides beach rd to Mt Eliza, and Kew Blvd.

Thanks,
Su

I cannot speak for Blackburn or Carnegie but Coburg is another active club. We start our road racing on 1 May and run a race every week until the last week end of October. You can visit www.coburgcycling.com for more information. Blackburn and Carnegie also offer road racing, I think St Kilda do not run any road racing at all.

Originally posted by luke1972
I cannot speak for Blackburn or Carnegie but Coburg is another active club. We start our road racing on 1 May and run a race every week until the last week end of October. You can visit www.coburgcycling.com for more information. Blackburn and Carnegie also offer road racing, I think St Kilda do not run any road racing at all.

Su

Blackburn, Carnegie and St Kilda definitely have the most chicks riding...would say Blackburn and St Kilda have about 10 girls actively racing....Carnegie has about 20 but they are by far the largest Melb club.

As for which club to join...they will all welcome new female members, of all standards! Check out the websites, ask around...

But if you're planning to race some of the Blackburn races you may want to get out and do some training in the hills :)