Cycling clubs , No thanks

Cube1959

May 23, 2013
let me start by saying i am not having a go at all cycling clubs , or your club , maybe you can name your club here and tell everyone about it .. I have been cycling again for a year after over 20 years off a bike , i am loving it . i go out on my own most of the time as i like the fact i can go at my own pace , i have been out with a couple of m8's , but if i go out in the week they are in work .. I was talking to a m8 about cycling clubs , he had enquired about one by him , he said the answer was you are welcome to join if you can keep an average pace of 19 mph or you will get left behind .. So he said forget it !! If i am out and about and a cyclist is off his bike with a flat etc , i stop and ask if they are ok or need anything , There was an old guy stood by his bike being sick , around 10 guys all in the same tops went past him , i stopped and asked if he needed me to phone someone .. A club came past me and were banning on the side of a van , and pointing at the driver , i asked what that was all about , he said they were coming past on the inside and one had hit his mirror and fallen off , they felt he should have left more room , they went of down the road weaving in and out of traffic .. The clubs round here tend to take up all the road , if on a cycle path and coming towards you , they will ride 3 abreast and give you little room , they tend to look at you like you shouldn't be there , i always give a nod or wave to fellow cyclist's .. You get no reaction from clubs , what the hell is wrong with these people , do they feel because they are all in the same kit they are something special , maybe i should get of my bike as they come past and tilt my head , . So over to the clubs , and give an honest answer as to what your club is like .. For me i will remain a solo cyclist , and continue to be safe helpful and polite ..

Originally Posted by Cube1959 he said the answer was you are welcome to join if you can keep an average pace of 19 mph or you will get left behind .

You will get left behind no matter what on your first "club" ride... Some of these guys are pro's and they've been training for years. If you dont get left behind you are a freak... A F-R-E-A-K!
big-smile.png

0.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube1959 .
they will ride 3 abreast and give you little room

Yep its more aerodynamic this way. It also causes lots more accidents!
big-smile.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube1959 .
So over to the clubs , and give an honest answer as to what your club is like ..

Much much worst... and thats the "pro" club. The amateur one is even worst...
big-smile.png

+1 on riding solo... Unless its touring were it kinda gets "phycho"
sad.png

There are, despite Volnix's uninformed claims, group rides which have a "no drop" policy, which is to say if a rider falls behind for whatever reason, the group won't leave that rider behind. Not all areas may have such rides, but finding them is a simple matter of asking clubs what their average speed is, if they have a no drop policy, and so on. Certainly there are also groups who don't have pros riding, and I'd wager to say that most don't have pros riding.

Agreed with A on this. All types of rides and riders out there.

Go ask the staff at a few bikeshops, they'll point you toward better bunch rides.

Originally Posted by ambal
Go ask the staff at a few bikeshops, they'll point you toward better bunch rides.
Thats how I found the club rides here... The one of just two clubs here actually...
confused.png

Our club have an advanced, intermediate and sunday club. The sunday club will not drop you, thats not what they are aabout. Its for ave speed of 12-15 mph, any fitness level and for any of the intermediates that had a heavy night before. Usually about 30 miles in a distance. They will stop at the top of any climb. Its also chaparonnef by an intermediate rider to dispence tips and encouragement. Then if youre up to it you can advance to the intermediates.

The advanced chain gang, they will drop you like a stone and attack on the climbs....

I'm currently a member of 3 different clubs. All of them have a combination of drop/no drop groups on almost all of their rides. You want to try to hang with the A group, you run the risk of being dropped. But the no-drop B group will pick you up if you decide to wait a few minutes. :D