Cycling Coaches in Sydney

Gretzky1

Aug 14, 2009
Hey guys

Does anyone know of any decent cycling coaches in the Sydney area?
Preferably around South Western Sydney, say Liverpool?

Thanks in Advance :)

Gretzky1 said:
Hey guys

Does anyone know of any decent cycling coaches in the Sydney area?
Preferably around South Western Sydney, say Liverpool?

Thanks in Advance :)
What's your definition of decent? And what sort of coaching are you looking for? Thre are various sorts of coaching, e.g. skill cycle through to high performance.

There really isn't a local coaching register/list, which is a bit frustrating. CA must have the data since they accredit coaches but I'm not aware of a list, which would probably be pretty handy for folks.

Normally people find someone through their club. Who's based around there? Marconi?

I live in Sydney but not Liverpool way, I live inner west. Mind you, my clients are based in Europe, the US, and all around Australia.

Thanks for replying Alex

Well im new back to cycling, bought my bike a couple of months ago, first time i have been on a bike in about 13 or so years.

So just looking for some beginner training advice, make sure im pedalling right and also some strength training.

Being 30yrs old, im not looking to be the next cadell or lance, but if i could get some good fitness up then maybe join in some of the competitions around for some fun.

My definition of decent, is not a guy who mostly does professionals who train 6 days a week.
But not someone who is a blow in who doesnt know wat his talking about.

Hope this helps

Gretzky1 said:
Thanks for replying Alex

Well im new back to cycling, bought my bike a couple of months ago, first time i have been on a bike in about 13 or so years.

So just looking for some beginner training advice, make sure im pedalling right and also some strength training.

Being 30yrs old, im not looking to be the next cadell or lance, but if i could get some good fitness up then maybe join in some of the competitions around for some fun.

My definition of decent, is not a guy who mostly does professionals who train 6 days a week.

Hope this helps
Cool. You'll be so hooked before you know it :)

I'd suggest joining one of the local clubs to help get back into the swing of it. Clubs here are really the way to shorten the learning curve. An occasional club run will sort out the basics, most clubs have a few people able to provide such advice. Clubs can be found here:
Cycling NSW Affiliated Clubs

I'd say Bankstown, Macarthur, Lidcombe Auburn or Marconi are the likely candidates.

They'll have different attributes, some will be more racing focussed, others will have a wider variety of rides available etc etc. They'll also show you the best cycle routes for training as most will have developed a list of options over many years. Visit their websites, give them a call, as if they have any accredited coaches (e.g. Cycle Skill). Coaches must be licenced with CA anyway, so they will all be members of a club (itself a requirement of CA membership).

You could also contact Cycling Australia and see if they have a list of accreditated Cycle Skill coaches in your area.

The third option is talking with your LBS. Usually they have one or two people they know that provide coaching support.

As for pedalling technique and strength, neither really matter all that much, so if you have a coach that is focussed on those things, then I wouldn't rank them as decent.

What matters much more is:
1. your bike being well set up for you (hopefully you have a good LBS that can help) but let me know if you want to know the best person to help with that.
2. riding with consistency
3. the effort level when you ride
4. gradually building up the workload

If you'd like a training plan (you feel ready for that) then have a look at the plans (just click the link in my sig line). They are customised for anyone, beginner to elite.

Alex Simmons said:
Cool. You'll be so hooked before you know it :)

I'd suggest joining one of the local clubs to help get back into the swing of it. Clubs here are really the way to shorten the learning curve. An occasional club run will sort out the basics, most clubs have a few people able to provide such advice. Clubs can be found here:
Cycling NSW Affiliated Clubs

I'd say Bankstown, Macarthur, Lidcombe Auburn or Marconi are the likely candidates.

They'll have different attributes, some will be more racing focussed, others will have a wider variety of rides available etc etc. They'll also show you the best cycle routes for training as most will have developed a list of options over many years. Visit their websites, give them a call, as if they have any accredited coaches (e.g. Cycle Skill). Coaches must be licenced with CA anyway, so they will all be members of a club (itself a requirement of CA membership).

You could also contact Cycling Australia and see if they have a list of accreditated Cycle Skill coaches in your area.

The third option is talking with your LBS. Usually they have one or two people they know that provide coaching support.

As for pedalling technique and strength, neither really matter all that much, so if you have a coach that is focussed on those things, then I wouldn't rank them as decent.

What matters much more is:
1. your bike being well set up for you (hopefully you have a good LBS that can help) but let me know if you want to know the best person to help with that.
2. riding with consistency
3. the effort level when you ride
4. gradually building up the workload

If you'd like a training plan (you feel ready for that) then have a look at the plans (just click the link in my sig line). They are customised for anyone, beginner to elite.

Thanks for the info Alex.
I was thinking about a club, but thought they were more involved around the racing side of things.

I know macarthur club does a fair bit of riding along the M7 Track which is the main track i use for cycling.

What i meant by coaches looking at my pedalling technique and that, i was meaning along the lines of someone who knows if im doing it completely wrong or just need a reminder to keep it consistent. That kind of thing.

Will defintely look up the clubs & see how i go from there.

I did look at your training packages, but i would prefer a coach that can come out on a ride every now & then to make sure im putting things into practice.
Im defintely more a hands on person rather then just being sent something on email and paying someone for that, i already have a personal trainer friend who can write up plans for me for that kind of thing. So was looking for a coach thats more hands on then anything.

Thanks for your help Alex

Hi..

I am brand new to this cycling and this forum..

Never cycled as a kid and just picking up my 1st bike tomorrow....

I live in beecroft..are there any suitable clubs for a newbie cyclist like me in the area?

gff

getfitfast said:
Hi..

I am brand new to this cycling and this forum..

Never cycled as a kid and just picking up my 1st bike tomorrow....

I live in beecroft..are there any suitable clubs for a newbie cyclist like me in the area?

gff
Not so sure if a club is the right place to start for a complete newbie but here is a good starting reference point:
Links | Bicycle NSW

It lists all sorts of bike associations and contacts - in particular I would suggest looking at the Bicycle User Groups (BUGs) link as that will pop up something in your neighbourhood.

Cycling Adventure for Kids and. Parents: Skill and. Ride Course. Sydney. Olympic ... Contact Tanya Bosch for your cycling coach needs I started aboc Cycle Coaching in 2003 as I wanted to help riders who ... world masters games in Sydney and is no longer coaching riathlon Training, bondi, swim, cycle, bike, run. ... Team Bondi Fit has a great range of coaches with differeent personalities.

ruselrones said:
Cycling Adventure for Kids and. Parents: Skill and. Ride Course. Sydney. Olympic ... Contact Tanya Bosch for your cycling coach needs I started aboc Cycle Coaching in 2003 as I wanted to help riders who ... world masters games in Sydney and is no longer coaching riathlon Training, bondi, swim, cycle, bike, run. ... Team Bondi Fit has a great range of coaches with differeent personalities.
I coach Tanya BTW ;) (that's public knowledge)

ruselrones said:

Ruselrones, you wouldn't happen to be a bot, would you?

Thanks Ruselrones..

The Bondifit training looks great...for newbies like me..it's a bit far but I might commit to it to break the back of leaning to cycle..

Cheers

Team Bondi Fit are committed to making you swim, bike, run or surf better.
We provide experienced coaches that compete & love the sports of swim, bike, run, ocean swim & triathlon.
If you live, work or want to travel to Bondi Beach Australia, Sydney City, Ultimo, Alexandria or anywhere in the Eastern Suburbs, Inner west or lovely Sydney itself - we can help you.

Gretzky1 said:
Thanks for replying Alex

Hope this helps

why do you say that. 30 years old is too late. assume you train every day for 5 years. you can still be carlos saster at 35 and maybe retire 1 year later after you win your first Tour. :D you must be greedy to succeed

Hey..I did a one on one session with Bondifit on Saturday at Cenntenial Park..it was good..but I did feel a bit intimidated with all the fancy cyclists...

I let go of my ego long ago so I'll deal with that..but I'm scared of bumping into someone...

When should I invest in clip on shoes and cycling knicks?

stevechow said:
why do you say that. 30 years old is too late. assume you train every day for 5 years. you can still be carlos saster at 35 and maybe retire 1 year later after you win your first Tour. :D you must be greedy to succeed

Haha because i know im past my prime. Nah, i just know not to expect too much as im doing this for more a fun/fitness thing. It shouldnt take me long to get back, but im not looking at being a tour de france rider, just want something for fun, fitness, and a healthy bit of competition once i get a bit better :D

getfitfast said:
Hey..I did a one on one session with Bondifit on Saturday at Cenntenial Park..it was good..but I did feel a bit intimidated with all the fancy cyclists...

I let go of my ego long ago so I'll deal with that..but I'm scared of bumping into someone...

When should I invest in clip on shoes and cycling knicks?

I would defintely reccomend getting some clipless shoes pretty quick.
You can get some good priced ones at places like www.cellbikes.com.au
They have the shoes & pedals and will even fit them to your bike for you.

And dont worry about the guys that look fancy, looks can be very deceiving ;)

Alex Simmons said:
As for pedalling technique and strength, neither really matter all that much,

Cycling must be the only world sport where technique is almost completely ignored by coaches.

n crowley said:
Cycling must be the only world sport where technique is almost completely ignored by coaches.
Au contraire.

There is a lot of technique to coach in cycling (e.g. track racing, MTB, CX, crits), just not a lot of it relates to pedalling. Track standing starts is a big one for instance.

Alex Simmons said:
Au contraire.

There is a lot of technique to coach in cycling (e.g. track racing, MTB, CX, crits), just not a lot of it relates to pedalling. Track standing starts is a big one for instance.

I would regard that as your start pedalling technique. My explanation for coaches lack of interest in pedalling techniques is ignorance, they can't teach them if they know nothing about them.

n crowley said:
I would regard that as your start pedalling technique. My explanation for coaches lack of interest in pedalling techniques is ignorance, they can't teach them if they know nothing about them.
OK, as an evidence based coach, my obviously limited knowledge is based on the evidence from various studies demonstrating that the fastest cyclists are the one's who push down the hardest on the pedals. So clearly I need to work out how to coach my clients to push down harder on the pedals. What technique drills would you suggest for that, besides simply riding at a higher power?

Are we off track or still talking about coaching in Sydney:D