Cycling Coaches in Sydney

Enriss said:
I'm trying to draw comparisons here between cycling and rowing. You drew a comparison between rowing and gymnastics.

Rowing and cycling have a lot in common. The enormous advantage gained from the linear pedalling style by the introduction of the arms into the crank power production could be best described as that advantage gained by rowers when they switch from fixed to sliding seated rowing. The lower back state adopted by rowers also applies in linear pedalling and completely eliminates even the worst 'on the bike' lower back pain.

Alex Simmons said:
What's all this "I'm not hands on" stuff?

If you buy a budget priced training plan, of course there's no ongoing support - that's quite a clear expectation when you buy such a plan. It's budget priced for a reason.

But I am very hands on for coaching clients who pay for that service.

Just ask Jayson Austin, who set a new world record for the Masters hour this year. Many hours of 1 on 1 work with him, at the velodrome, my ergo and outdoor rides as well. How do you think we got him to a CdA of 0.180 m^2? Or all the work on refining pacing to a fine art? Not to mention making sure he avoided accidents in the lead up!!

Hi Alex

According to your website, there is only email comunication, or if you purchase a level 5 package then you get phone comunication too. If you purchase a level 6 Pro package then its email, phone, IM.

So i still dont see anywhere where it says you are hands on.
If you do take that approach, even if you have to pay for it, you should list it as it would defintely make people like myself look into it a bit more.

When i first wrote this section, i did reply to you that i wanted someone hands on.
But you didnt tell me you did that?
I didnt ask about pricing or look at pricing for coaching, it wasnt something i was too worried about at the time.

Gretzky1 said:
When i first wrote this section, i did reply to you that i wanted someone hands on.
Point taken on the website info, it could be better and is going to be revamped.

As for hands on, you wanted someone to ride with to look at pedaling technique and also for strength training, which really isn't necessarily feasible for many coaches to do who are not local to you, even in based in Sydney. And that is not email or telephone stuff anyway.

Which is why I provided information and suggestions on how you might locate someone local and suitable if that's what you were looking for, as well as other means to gather that level of information (e.g. join a club).

Nevertheless, I still ride occasionally with some clients if it makes sense to and fits my own commitments/schedule. Obviously I can't with those interstate or international clients (mind you I did ride with one client in the USA not so long ago).

But in general, most of my clients know how to ride but don't necessarily know how to train and that's where I can have the biggest impact. Live coaching support comes with higher levels or as an add on service. I will also see some clients when we schedule performance tests on my ergo bike. I will also have phone calls with them, frequency varies depending on level.

I will also be becoming involved with a dedicated indoor training studio before long, providing coaching direction for that. A few others things coming up too, like power training camps.

Alex Simmons said:
Nah - it's all the core strength, stretching, big gear hills and one-legged riding I do. ;)

... and I divuldged all that info over beers in Santa Rosa and you said you'd never spill the beans. Sheesh! :p

swampy1970 said:
... and I divuldged all that info over beers in Santa Rosa and you said you'd never spill the beans. Sheesh! :p
The only beans I spilled were from the burritos I was eating :p

Alex Simmons said:
Point taken on the website info, it could be better and is going to be revamped.

As for hands on, you wanted someone to ride with to look at pedaling technique and also for strength training, which really isn't necessarily feasible for many coaches to do who are not local to you, even in based in Sydney. And that is not email or telephone stuff anyway.

Which is why I provided information and suggestions on how you might locate someone local and suitable if that's what you were looking for, as well as other means to gather that level of information (e.g. join a club).

Nevertheless, I still ride occasionally with some clients if it makes sense to and fits my own commitments/schedule. Obviously I can't with those interstate or international clients (mind you I did ride with one client in the USA not so long ago).

But in general, most of my clients know how to ride but don't necessarily know how to train and that's where I can have the biggest impact. Live coaching support comes with higher levels or as an add on service. I will also see some clients when we schedule performance tests on my ergo bike. I will also have phone calls with them, frequency varies depending on level.

I will also be becoming involved with a dedicated indoor training studio before long, providing coaching direction for that. A few others things coming up too, like power training camps.

All that sounds pretty good Alex, might have to keep an eye on your website to see when you get it all set up :)

Btw, where abouts are you based? Syd. Melb or?

Im not worried where they are based in sydney, i go riding in centenial park in the city a bit as well as out west along m7 track. So travel doesnt bother me for coaching, did it for enough years when i used to play soccer haha

But anyway, make sure you keep me, as well as everyone else updated in how the training studio is coming along :)

I'm in Sydney (inner west).

Which means, AFAIK, that I'm the only cycling coach in Sydney to have responded to this thread :p

Alex Simmons said:
I'm in Sydney (inner west).

Which means, AFAIK, that I'm the only cycling coach in Sydney to have responded to this thread :p

Haha thats probably because you are the only coach in sydney who uses this forum :D

Gretzky1 said:
Haha thats probably because you are the only coach in sydney who uses this forum :D

Man up and commit to a program and stop carrying on like a little cry baby who thinks he's a gifted special athlete :eek: andy is as good as it gets for us non elite riders, suck it up and use his services to your advantage.

baker3 said:
Man up and commit to a program and stop carrying on like a little cry baby who thinks he's a gifted special athlete :eek: andy is as good as it gets for us non elite riders, suck it up and use his services to your advantage.

Maybe you should read the whole thread dude & tell me one place i said im a gifted athelete.

And who is andy?