Cycling coaches

IzzyG

Jan 14, 2006
Heya guys. I'm thinking of getting a cycling coach. I've been riding seriously for only 2 months and have seen a serious jump in performance. First time I rode, I had trouble keeping 13 mph for 10 miles. Now I average 19 mph for 30 miles and 17 mph for 45 miles. My training has been all over the place though and after experiencing collegiate racing, I'm hooked.

My question is, is it still too early for me to get a coach since I'm still only 2 months into training? I'm thinking that I could still make large gains on my own and should hire a coach only when I hit a plateau that I can't break. However, one of the Cat A riders in my team said that the first year or two is the most crucial in shaping habits and proper techniques/form. He said that coaching oneself can lead to hard to break problems later on. Being a personal trainer myself, I do know that training oneself can be a bad idea if you plan to be the best that you can. I don't intend to give up halfway and so a coach seems like a good idea. Any advice would be awesome.

Another question is, where can I find lists of coaches and such? I see a few online services and Carmichael's but it feels rather impersonal. Anyone tried such services? And what is the average prices for coaching services? Thanks in advance.

Izzy G.

If you haven't already, join a group ride and ask for help there. Just being in a group you will pick up many helpfull hints and who knows might even get someone with a lot of experience to help you on a regular basis.

Try joining a club. Our club here in Perth has training rides during the week whereby novices, kids alike join in and get help from the seasoned campaigners.

IzzyG said:
Another question is, where can I find lists of coaches and such? I see a few online services and Carmichael's but it feels rather impersonal. Anyone tried such services? And what is the average prices for coaching services? Thanks in advance.

Izzy G.
You don't post where you live. I assume since you don't want to go online you want local but can't figure out where you live.

Many cycling coaches in the US will be here:
http://www.usacycling.org/coaches/search.php

If you are in the UK:
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/coa/locate_a_coach.asp

Look up your national federation if you live in another country.

IzzyG said:
Heya guys. I'm thinking of getting a cycling coach. I've been riding seriously for only 2 months and have seen a serious jump in performance. First time I rode, I had trouble keeping 13 mph for 10 miles. Now I average 19 mph for 30 miles and 17 mph for 45 miles. My training has been all over the place though and after experiencing collegiate racing, I'm hooked.

My question is, is it still too early for me to get a coach since I'm still only 2 months into training? I'm thinking that I could still make large gains on my own and should hire a coach only when I hit a plateau that I can't break. However, one of the Cat A riders in my team said that the first year or two is the most crucial in shaping habits and proper techniques/form. He said that coaching oneself can lead to hard to break problems later on. Being a personal trainer myself, I do know that training oneself can be a bad idea if you plan to be the best that you can. I don't intend to give up halfway and so a coach seems like a good idea. Any advice would be awesome.

Izzy G.

Izzy,

Blatant advert time! Since our coaching team (RST/cyclecoach.com) sponsors the forum, you could always try us!

We work with a variety of athletes from beginners who have just started racing, juniors, U23's, Masters, cat 1 to 5, and pro cyclists (including Euro pros and some riders in the TdF).

We offer coaching at a variety of levels from low level interaction to highly detailed analysis, and are about to introduce Training Plans for those who want some guidance but don't want actual coaching. We work (mainly) online but also work one to one with people, and our service can be personal or impersonal (depending on what you want).

Our list of services (and pricing) can be seen here and we offer discounts for teams/groups: http://cyclecoach.com/pageID-training.htm

Please feel free to give me a shout on [email protected] or via private messaging here

Ric