Cycling College

numminummi

Oct 12, 2010
Hi!

I'm an economic student in Denmark finishing my bachelor this summer. I'm considering to take the first year of my masters degree abroad (USA or AUsssss). However I would like to find a place where I could combine it with my cycling. I'm riding cat2 - hopefully upgrading this season.

Are you aware of a college that has some kind of a team or similar?

Hello nummi!

Plenty of teams in the USA! I do not claim to be an expert on the subject, but collegiate cycling is governed by USA Cycling. Check out their website at:

http://www.usacycling.org/ncca/

Colleges are either division I or II, and 11 conferences exist (see map on the above website). You may also want to consider the climate, city, and talent pool in which you plan on riding. Of course, do not ignore the strength of the masters program when considering. Personally, I would love to spend two years in Colorado or California.

you will need something like Jack Black's School of Rock situation, otherwise concentrate on your studies and give a shot to cycling after you have your Diploma,

I think the cycling mecca of America is in Colorado. I think if you wanted the best that cycling has to offer that's where I would head. Please note, that's just a personal opinion. But, Colorado weather is not as good year round so there is a lot of indoor training done there, if you prefer to train outside most of the year then California is the place you ought to go.

In Colorado the best is supposedly Fort Lewis College; in California there is none from what I could find out which surprised me. Anyway see this: http://bicycling.about.com/od/professionalcycling/tp/collegiate_cycling.htm Not sure how accurate that site is.

Sorry for all the postings; this is the 2nd time this has happened, not sure what's happening, I press reply once and all these postings post up, then when this happens the edit key is missing so I can't delete the post till later. Weird to say the least.

Originally Posted by Froze .

Sorry for all the postings; this is the 2nd time this has happened, not sure what's happening, I press reply once and all these postings post up, then when this happens the edit key is missing so I can't delete the post till later. Weird to say the least.

I have removed them for you, if it happens again please message me.

Originally Posted by numminummi .

Hi!

I'm an economic student in Denmark finishing my bachelor this summer. I'm considering to take the first year of my masters degree abroad (USA or AUsssss). However I would like to find a place where I could combine it with my cycling. I'm riding cat2 - hopefully upgrading this season.

Are you aware of a college that has some kind of a team or similar?
University of Arizona in Tucson. Year round outdoor riding. Maybe you can hook up with alienator.

kdelong said:
University of Arizona in Tucson. Year round outdoor riding. Maybe you can hook up with alienator.

The cycling team at the University is a club, not part of the athletic program. Such is the state of "athletics" in the US. With that said, there are loads of teams and loads of racing in Tucson, year round. The area is known for its road riding and MTB trails, but there is also a lot of CX during the fall/winter/spring. Likewise there are loads of group rides, and on a number of those group rides you're likely to ride with some pros. In fact we are home to what is arguably the most competitive "group" ride in the country, "The Shootout" (with a hefty sprint on Pistol Hill Rd), which has drawn people like Tom Danielson. In the winter and spring, there are a fair number of pro teams here training. Oh, yeah. We've got plenty of mountains with long climbs, steep climbs, and fast descents. Mt. Lemmon--the most boring but longest of them all--is a 25-ish mile long climb with an elevation gain of about 6000ft. The descent is fast and can be done without using brakes.