Cycling compulsory?

Mike Causer <[email protected]> writes:

> What does this sign mean?
> http://www.mikecauser.com/images/ely-sign.jpg
>
> "No cycling" looks like this:
> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/sign053.htm
>
> and a bar across a sign negates its meaning. So I reckon it means that
> cycling is compulsory.
>
> Location: the river waterfront in Ely, Cambs.

Doesn't surprise me, mind. There's a stretch of the Taff Trail in
Cardiff that splits up into two for a hundred yards or so. One of the
branches is no cycling, and has a sign saying that. Pretty much every
cyclist I've seen has taken that branch, because they think the sign
means 'bikes this way'. I guess in the Ely case, someone decided that
desired results were more important than the correct methods.

They are laughing at me, not with me

Mike Causer wrote:
> What does this sign mean?
> http://www.mikecauser.com/images/ely-sign.jpg
>
> "No cycling" looks like this:
> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/sign053.htm
>
> and a bar across a sign negates its meaning. So I reckon it means that
> cycling is compulsory.

actually accordong to the HC the red circle with a diagonal bar isn't
universal; for example red circle with bike in = no cycling, whereas
red circle with diagonal line and left turn = no left turn. And the
Ghostbusters logo?

Mike Causer wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:40:24 +0000, Peter wrote:
>
>> "Mike Causer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:p[email protected]...
>>> What does this sign mean?
>>> http://www.mikecauser.com/images/ely-sign.jpg

>> Is it not just a sign with a bit of red tape stuck on it? peter

> Yes, there are lots like it along the waterfront. The red of the circle
> and of the stripe are very clearly different.
>

> Mike

According to link there are no variants of this sign permitted.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/02311398.gif

Does the tape therefore render this sign unlawful?

Tunk wrote:
> Mike Causer wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:40:24 +0000, Peter wrote:
>>
>>> "Mike Causer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:p[email protected]...

>>> Is it not just a sign with a bit of red tape stuck on it? peter

>> Yes, there are lots like it along the waterfront. The red of the circle
>> and of the stripe are very clearly different.
>>

>> Mike
>>

> According to link there are no variants of this sign permitted.
>

> http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/02311398.gif
>

> Does the tape therefore render this sign unlawful?

Oops, sorry, I've only just received the first few posts.

> Doesn't surprise me, mind. There's a stretch of the Taff Trail in
> Cardiff that splits up into two for a hundred yards or so. One of the
> branches is no cycling, and has a sign saying that. Pretty much every
> cyclist I've seen has taken that branch, because they think the sign
> means 'bikes this way'. I guess in the Ely case, someone decided that
> desired results were more important than the correct methods.

Is that the bit opp the old bakery?

Dave

Dave L <[email protected]> writes:

>> Doesn't surprise me, mind. There's a stretch of the Taff Trail in
>> Cardiff that splits up into two for a hundred yards or so. One of the
>> branches is no cycling, and has a sign saying that. Pretty much every
>> cyclist I've seen has taken that branch, because they think the sign
>> means 'bikes this way'. I guess in the Ely case, someone decided that
>> desired results were more important than the correct methods.
>>

> Is that the bit opp the old bakery?

Not sure about the bakery - it's by the Taff Meade Embankment.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...4266,-3.182715&spn=0.001024,0.003358&t=h&om=1

"Far be it from thee to do such a thing,
to slay the righteous with the wicked"

"Mike Causer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:40:24 +0000, Peter wrote:
>
>> "Mike Causer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:p[email protected]...
>>> What does this sign mean?
>>> http://www.mikecauser.com/images/ely-sign.jpg

>> Is it not just a sign with a bit of red tape stuck on it? peter

> Yes, there are lots like it along the waterfront. The red of the circle
> and of the stripe are very clearly different.

Do you have a local govt cycling officer you can ask?

It's looks so amateur that it's either (1) the council or (2) mischief
makers*...

(* occasionally one and the same).

peter

MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:

>accordong to the HC the red circle with a diagonal bar isn't
> universal; for example red circle with bike in = no cycling, whereas
> red circle with diagonal line and left turn = no left turn. And the
> Ghostbusters logo?

It means "I ain't afraid of no ghost" © Ray Parker Jr

Tom
--
Return address is dead. Real address is at
http://toomanybikes.com/address.jpg

[email protected] wrote:

>Mike Causer wrote:
>> What does this sign mean?
>> http://www.mikecauser.com/images/ely-sign.jpg
>>
>> "No cycling" looks like this:
>> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/sign053.htm
>>
>> and a bar across a sign negates its meaning. So I reckon it means that
>> cycling is compulsory.
>>

>Surely it would mean end of no-cycling restriction.

It's a bodged job trying to mean no cycling. Of course the official
sign is a cycle in a red circle like other prohibition signs.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs04.htm

An end of no cycling sign would be a rectangular sign with the no
cycling sign in grey crossed by diagonal black lines similar to the
end of no parking zone sign here.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/sign175.htm

Tunk wrote:
> Mike Causer wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:40:24 +0000, Peter wrote:
>>
>>> "Mike Causer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:p[email protected]...

>>> Is it not just a sign with a bit of red tape stuck on it? peter

>> Yes, there are lots like it along the waterfront. The red of the
>> circle and of the stripe are very clearly different.
>>
>> Mike

> According to link there are no variants of this sign permitted.
>
> http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/02311398.gif
>
> Does the tape therefore render this sign unlawful?

No, but *putting* the tape on there without authority probably is..

it could be the council thinking (albeit outside proper policies and that
Vienna convention on traffic signs) to make the sign look more like a safety
sign as found in labs etc - OTOH it could be a "concerned local" taking
matters into their own hands.

Alex
--
Mr R@T / General Lighting
Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom

And talking of signs, what does this one mean?
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/sign071.htm

Next question, what does the very similar one but with a bicycle above
the parent/child pedestrian mean? (Similar to
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/sign077.htm but without the "Only" and
peds instead of the bus, and not the segregated path one.) This one
isn't shown on the Highway Code website, but I pass a couple on my commute.

Now what's the difference between the two?

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd wrote:

> And talking of signs, what does this one mean?
> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/sign071.htm

Pedal cycles only. No pedestrians.

> Next question, what does the very similar one but with a bicycle above
> the parent/child pedestrian mean? (Similar to
> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/sign077.htm but without the "Only" and
> peds instead of the bus, and not the segregated path one.) This one
> isn't shown on the Highway Code website, but I pass a couple on my commute.

Mixed use path (Pedestrians and Cycles).

And, more importantly...

Pedestrians have priority.

> Now what's the difference between the two?

Should be obvious now...

Ta,

-Alex

"Paul Boyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> And talking of signs, what does this one mean?
> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/sign071.htm

route to be used by pedal cycles only

> Next question, what does the very similar one but with a bicycle above the
> parent/child pedestrian mean? (Similar to
> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/sign077.htm but without the "Only" and peds
> instead of the bus, and not the segregated path one.) This one isn't
> shown on the Highway Code website, but I pass a couple on my commute.

From your description, sounds like route to be used by pedal cycles &
pedestrians only.
Do you mean like the one shown here?
http://www.17beechroad.freeserve.co.uk/WarringtonCycleCampaign/facility-of-the-month/July2001.htm

Cheers, helen s

> Now what's the difference between the two?
>
> --
> Paul Boyd
> http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On 16/08/2006 17:28, Alex said,

> Pedal cycles only. No pedestrians.

Hmmm....

> Should be obvious now...

I should have mentioned that this is a loaded question :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On 16/08/2006 17:34, wafflycat said,

>> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/sign071.htm

> route to be used by pedal cycles only

Yes, that's what I understood. Just trying to get a general consensus
here....

....before I moan at the council for allowing pedestrians to use a narrow
overgrown cycle-only path which for once is actually very useful.
Trouble is I'm scuppered already because of the number of cyclists who
use the pavement on the opposite side of the road :-(

> Do you mean like the one shown here?
> http://www.17beechroad.freeserve.co.uk/WarringtonCycleCampaign/facility-of-the-month/July2001.htm

That's the one, and I've got a shared use bus stop by me as well!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/