cycling computer suggestions

Bolo Grubb

Apr 26, 2004
I am wanting to get one that measures cadence, as well as the normal stuff (speed, distance, etc). What brand? Wireless or no? What other features should I look for? What does anyone suggest?

Should I get a heart monitor too? Get that as a separate piece or combined with the cycling computer?

Your thoughts please

Originally posted by Bolo Grubb
I am wanting to get one that measures cadence, as well as the normal stuff (speed, distance, etc). What brand? Wireless or no? What other features should I look for? What does anyone suggest?

Should I get a heart monitor too? Get that as a separate piece or combined with the cycling computer?

If you want a very solid, easy-to-use device for giving a readout of speed and cadence, the Cateye Astrale 8 is as straightforward and dependable as it gets. The cost is very reasonable as well, and this unit is more sturdy and easier to use than some other units with similar features.

On the other hand, if you want a device that adds HR to the mix, the Vetta V100HR does it ALL. You can get speed, cadence, and HR all on the same screen, which makes for an exceptionally tidy and convenient package for training/racing. With the Vetta, you have a choice between a wired harness or fully wireless (even wireless cadence). It costs a bit more, but you get what you pay for.

I've used both, and these are easily two of the best computers on the market.

I have used vettas, cateyes, sigmas, and now have a polar 520 that I come to rely on for everything.

Being a bike-oriented polar, I get speed, cadence, average speed and average cadence, trip distance, plus the usual stuff like calories, heart rate, average heart rate, workout time, intervals, recovery time, and a whole bunch of other stuff that I haven't even figured out yet.

I bought it on E-Bay for something like $135.00 or so, which took me a while to get, but was well worth it.

When I ride, I just watch speed and average speed, but when I get back I can upload all of it into my computer and see charts and full databases of the complete ride, which is really fun cause you just don't have time to check all that **** out when you are grunting and heaving and flailing away. Plus you can enter it into a calendar which becomes an easy way to keep a good bike log. I am so far behind in my real bike log that it is hardly worth keeping any more.

I also use it when I go running, or out for a nasty hike with my 2 year old on my back in his backpack, or anything else when I think it might be fun to see what my heart is doing. I also have it set up for both my road bike and my mountain bike, and a push of the button toggles it back and forth.

I have sold most all of my other computers on E-Bay.

As far as the wireless goes, I love the clean installation. I occassionally get erroneous readings from one thing or another, and I think that is just the price you pay. The bad readings are far too brief to affect the overall averages or charts that you get with the polar, so they don't bother me too much.

That's my two cents.

whit

Originally posted by Bolo Grubb

Your thoughts please

One thing I hate about cadence measuring computers is the extra wire leading down to my crank. Because of this pet peeve two computers that have my attention are the Shimano Flightdeck and a brand new CatEye CC-CD300DW.

Shimano has a fantastic idea going where they plug the computer into the shifters and then know what gear you're in. Since it knows your speed and your gear, it can tell you cadence without a wire.

The CatEye also has a good idea by having a wireless transmitter on your chainstay to avoid the extra wire. This model also happens to be double wireless so it has no wires what-so-ever.

However if you were looking at getting a HR, I'd recommend buying something separate from your cycling computer. At least that way you can use it for other activities as well.

Cheers.

ok I went and bought the Cateye Astrale 8 and so far I am loving it. Simple to install and use. Gives me what I was looking for in cadence, avg speed, max speed and distance.

I also bought a separate heart rate monitor so I can use it for swimming and running if I choose. Currently I don't swim but you never know.

I have been running a little bit but I think I will pick that up a little more.

Cycling is difinately my favorite.

So to search the web for heart rate training information guides etc