Cycling Computer Survey

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by coffee_minion, Oct 6, 2015.

1. coffee_minion

coffee_minion Member

Hi fellow cyclists! My friends created this new smart, integrated cycling computer called SpeedForce and it's launching on Indiegogo around late October. So far only a handful of us are able to give feedback on it and we would definitely love to hear from even more cyclists about this product too.

If you guys would take a minute to take this survey, that would be great! They have worked on this prototype for over a year already and we would like to hear your opinions on it.

The link to the project can be found in the beginning of the survey: http://goo.gl/gsEJ07

Thank you so much!

Tags:

2. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

So, if you're off in the hills and you rely on a cell phone for GPS and directions - how do you get maps when you have no cellphone signal? Do you have integration with apps like Navigon where you can download maps or do you just have to limit yourself to places with cell towers?

3. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

Interesting product and I might even be tempted to buy one.

However, the project page is lacking in details. I own several bikes and for obvious reasons this is limited to one bicycle. Also, are there different stem lengths and angles available? Will this have ant+ to integrate with power meters?

My guess is that the headlight is also pretty limited. I suppose it will make you visible, but for riding in dark conditions you will still need a high power light that you can adjust the angle on.

4. coffee_minion

coffee_minion Member

The way the GPS navigation works is you pre-plan the route first before you start riding and you can push it to SpeedForce using BLE. SpeedForce comes in two different modes, Turn-by-Turn (TBT) and Off The Road (OTR). TBT is the most accurate, but it requires signal and service. If you're in the mountains and you're using TBT, when you don't have signal, SpeedForce will switch it to OTR and continue directing you with the route you planned ahead of time.

Hope that answers your question and let me know if you need more clarification.

5. coffee_minion

coffee_minion Member

Cool thanks for considering it :)

Yes, it uses ANT+. The project page is still lacking details since they plan to release all the information once they officially launch it. For now, we just gave general specifics.

Regarding your comment on different stems, so far we will have two models for SpeedForce. One is for mountain bikes and another for road bikes.

As for the headlight, I believe the light's power is 4 watts, but I will need to ask my friend again. :)

6. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

Integrate a action camera and I would be sold.

7. BobCochran

BobCochran Well-Known Member

Crowdsource funding "projects" and their sales pitches for electronics items generally over-promise and under-deliver on functionality. You can fund some electronics project and you'll never get everything the vendor swears they will deliver.

Thanks a lot

Bob

8. coffee_minion

coffee_minion Member

Definitely understand where you're coming from. I've contributed to a few before and it fell below my expectations. I wouldn't be talking about this project if they didn't finish making a prototype already. They actually first developed an app and later on made a hardware to go with it which is this SpeedForce.

Thanks for taking a look at it though :) Any feedback is really appreciated. Hope you can keep an eye out for this project.

9. coffee_minion

coffee_minion Member

Any Bay Area cyclists here going to Biketober Fest Marin County? My friends will be having booth there to show their prototype. Grab a beer and check it out.

Information: http://www.biketoberfestmarin.com/

10. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Gawd, another made in China piece of crap. Really? What's the purpose of the light? It's too dim to even use it as a light to see the road with, I can get a 150 lumen light for $40. And the GPS function...arrows? I don't want no stinking arrows, I want to see a GPS generated map with guidance arrows.

11. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

How much to set me up on a date with the girl with the Cervelo? :D

Arggh... It doesnt look removable.

Btw why wont you all new technology ppl dont go to a defense contractor for funding and bum Us broke ppl? :D

There are some defense Contractors that actually specialize on "maturing technologies".