Cycling computers

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Erdefen, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. Erdefen

    Erdefen Guest

    I'm looking for info on the above, I would like to have something I can clip on to the handlebars
    and with readouts big enough to read without using my reading glasses. I would like it to have 2
    readouts one to give info on the bike, eg, instantaneous speed, ave speed etc, the other display to
    give info on my body eg instantaneous heart rate, memory of heart rate with maximums etc.

    Does such a thing exist? Does anyone have experience of using such a device with ref to reliability,
    accuracy, price etc. Recommendations and/or constructive criticism would be appreciated. Is there a
    website I can consult? As I am new to biking and of advancing years I feel I need to be reassured by
    the info that this type of device might give me and might enable me to increase my fitness level
    safely Regards Erdefen

    --
    (Antispam, drop pants to EMail) All outgoing Emails checked for Virus with Norton.

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Erdefen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for info on the above, I would like to have something I can clip on to the handlebars
    > and with readouts big enough to read without using my reading glasses. I would like it to have 2
    > readouts one to give info on the bike, eg, instantaneous speed, ave speed etc, the other display
    > to give info on my body eg instantaneous heart rate, memory of heart rate with maximums etc.
    >
    > Does such a thing exist? Does anyone have experience of using such a device with ref to
    > reliability, accuracy, price etc. Recommendations and/or constructive criticism would be
    > appreciated. Is there a website I can consult?

    This might fit the bill.

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300003349

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Erdefen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for info on the above, I would like to have something I can clip on to the handlebars
    > and with readouts big enough to read without using my reading glasses. I would like it to have 2
    > readouts one to give info on the bike, eg, instantaneous speed, ave speed etc, the other display
    > to give info on my body eg instantaneous heart rate, memory of heart rate with maximums etc.
    >
    > Does such a thing exist? Does anyone have experience of using such a device with ref to
    > reliability, accuracy, price etc. Recommendations and/or constructive criticism would be
    > appreciated. Is there a website I can consult? As I am new to biking and of advancing years I feel
    > I need to be reassured by the info that this type of device might give me and might enable me to
    > increase my fitness level safely Regards Erdefen
    >
    > --
    Erdefen, Can't help with the computer stuff, I'm afraid, but would be interested to know what you
    ended up doing about buying a bike. Did you go for new?...which model did you get?...Did you use
    your LBS or Half*rds ? Cheers, Dave.

  4. In message <[email protected]>, Erdefen <[email protected]> writes

    Look at Polar (www.polar.fi) There's a selection of cyclist specific HRMs, none of them cheap!
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  5. Erdefen <[email protected]> writes:

    >I'm looking for info on the above, I would like to have something I can clip on to the handlebars
    >and with readouts big enough to read without using my reading glasses. I would like it to have 2
    >readouts one to give info on the bike, eg, instantaneous speed, ave speed etc, the other display to
    >give info on my body eg instantaneous heart rate, memory of heart rate with maximums etc.

    >Does such a thing exist? Does anyone have experience of using such a device with ref to
    >reliability, accuracy, price etc. Recommendations and/or constructive criticism would be
    >appreciated. Is there a website I can consult? As I am new to biking and of advancing years I feel
    >I need to be reassured by the info that this type of device might give me and might enable me to
    >increase my fitness level safely

    I'm sure such a device exists, and I'm sure it's very expensive!

    As an old git with a heart problem who mustn't exceed a certain amount of exertion I have the same
    problem. But the problem with HRMs is that my problems (angina, atherosclerosis) are only loosely
    linked to heart rate. For example, generally speaking, it would be dangerous for me to exceed
    150bpm, risky to exceed 140bpm for some time, and perfectly safe to trudge along at 130bpm for
    hours. Except that sometimes my heart is a bit wobbly, and exceeding 100bpm feels pretty unpleasant,
    and I need to sit down and rest. And usually 140bpm feels strenuous, but on a good day it feels
    fine. According to my cardiologist, what it feels like is more important then numerical bpm, which
    seems sensible to me.

    However, I bought a cheap HRM (low end Polar), and wore it everywhere for a while. As a consequence
    I learned to be able to guess my heart rate to within plus or minus 5 bpm. Now I only wear the thing
    ocassionally, just to check that I'm still guessing right, or to do specific tests to see if the
    ticker is getting better, e.g., recovering faster, or doing same work at lower bpm.

    A cheap cycle computer plus a cheap HRM with a handlebar mount for the HRM "watch" will give you the
    displays you want quite cheaply. Immediate figures are only a rough guide to what you really want to
    know, confused by all sorts of noise factors such as wind, temperature, humidity, fatigue, last
    meal, etc.. Long term trends are much more useful, but for that you don't want more expensive
    devices on your handlebars, you want a proper computer with spreadsheet etc..

    --
    Chris Malcolm [email protected] +44 (0)131 650 3085 DoD #205 School of Informatics, Edinburgh
    University, 5 Forrest Hill, Edinburgh, EH1 2QL, UK. [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/ ]

  6. Erdefen

    Erdefen Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > Can't help with the computer stuff, I'm afraid, but would be interested to know what you ended up
    > doing about buying a bike. Did you go for new?...which model did you get?...Did you use your LBS
    > or Half*rds ? Cheers, Dave.

    I'm afraid I went for a Halford Raleigh P4000 at 250 Pds, it seems OK but it's early days yet, I
    bought it yesterday morning and did approx15 Miles on it, feeling the strain today so given it a
    rest, will try 20Miles tomorrow and see how I get on, thanks for your interest. Cheers Erdefen

    --
    (Antispam, drop pants to EMail) All outgoing Emails checked for Virus with Norton.

  7. Erdefen

    Erdefen Guest

    > I'm sure such a device exists, and I'm sure it's very expensive!
    >
    > As an old git with a heart problem who mustn't exceed a certain amount of exertion I have the same
    > problem. But the problem with HRMs is that my problems (angina, atherosclerosis) are only loosely
    > linked to heart rate. For example, generally speaking, it would be dangerous for me to exceed
    > 150bpm, risky to exceed 140bpm for some time, and perfectly safe to trudge along at 130bpm for
    > hours. Except that sometimes my heart is a bit wobbly, and exceeding 100bpm feels pretty
    > unpleasant, and I need to sit down and rest. And usually 140bpm feels strenuous, but on a good day
    > it feels fine. According to my cardiologist, what it feels like is more important then numerical
    > bpm, which seems sensible to me.
    >
    > However, I bought a cheap HRM (low end Polar), and wore it everywhere for a while. As a
    > consequence I learned to be able to guess my heart rate to within plus or minus 5 bpm. Now I only
    > wear the thing ocassionally, just to check that I'm still guessing right, or to do specific tests
    > to see if the ticker is getting better, e.g., recovering faster, or doing same work at lower bpm.
    >
    > A cheap cycle computer plus a cheap HRM with a handlebar mount for the HRM "watch" will give you
    > the displays you want quite cheaply. Immediate figures are only a rough guide to what you really
    > want to know, confused by all sorts of noise factors such as wind, temperature, humidity, fatigue,
    > last meal, etc.. Long term trends are much more useful, but for that you don't want more expensive
    > devices on your handlebars, you want a proper computer with spreadsheet etc..
    >
    > --
    > Chris Malcolm [email protected] +44 (0)131 650 3085 DoD #205 School of Informatics, Edinburgh
    > University, 5 Forrest Hill, Edinburgh, EH1 2QL, UK. [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/ ]

    Many thanks for that, yes, I know the problem I also have angina although it doesn't sound as
    severe as yours, that's one of the reasons I needed to get fit again as I am overweight, enjoy all
    the wrong foods and have generally let myself go in the last few years. I was in the south of
    France in June, my wife and I had arrived at a small hotel in a place called La Coquille, the temp
    was 28 deg or thereabouts and as we were sitting outside having a cool beer under an umbrella a
    couple of old boys came wobbling in on touring bikes, I would have put their ages at over 75 they
    were drenched in sweat, pale and gasping for breath but looked lean and tanned, after 20 mins they
    were out, recovered, showered, a change of clothes, greeted us with a bonsoir, sat at the table
    next to us, ordered a chilled bottle of white wine which they proceeded to demolish in short order.
    I had a great feeling of guilt and envy for these chaps and felt ashamed to be slobbing about in a
    comfortable car when I knew that I should be doing this kind of thing, so I determined to get
    myself a bike again and build up my fitness etc in the hope one day to emulate these wonderful old
    boys. Cheers

    Erdefen

    --
    (Antispam, drop pants to EMail) All outgoing Emails checked for Virus with Norton.

  8. Erdefen

    Erdefen Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:

    > This might fit the bill.
    >
    > http://www.wiggle.co.uk/product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300003349
    >
    > --
    > Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

    Thanks for that, it seems to meet all the criteria I laid out, however I cannot find a detailed spec
    on it, I have tried the VDO cytec web site and downloaded the details but simple things like
    dimensions, battery life, type of battery(therefore cost), sensors-wired? sensors- wireless ? are
    not discussed, clearly there must be some kind of wheel sensor involved, is it a wheel magnet with
    sensing coil hard wired to the computer? does the heart sensor involve wearing some kind of chest
    harness or is the pulse taken from wrist or ankle? why do these manufacturers not publish a full
    spec these days? do they assume we cannot understand? Here I go ranting again, is it the Meldrew
    syndrome kicking in? I don't BELIEVE it!!!!! Cheers Erdefen

    --
    (Antispam, drop pants to EMail) All outgoing Emails checked for Virus with Norton.

  9. Msa

    Msa Guest

> [...]
    > drenched in sweat, pale and gasping for breath but
    looked
    > lean and tanned, after 20 mins they were out, recovered, showered, a
    change
    > of clothes, greeted us with a bonsoir, sat at the table next to us,
    ordered
    > a chilled bottle of white wine which they proceeded to demolish in short order. I had a great
    > feeling of guilt and envy for these chaps and felt ashamed
    > be slobbing about in a comfortable car when I knew that I should be doing this kind of thing, so I
    > determined to get myself a bike again and build
    up
    > my fitness etc in the hope one day to emulate these wonderful old boys. Cheers
    >
    > Erdefen
    >

    > --
    > (Antispam, drop pants to EMail) All outgoing Emails checked for Virus with Norton.

    I swear by my Polar S710 and it will do all you want and more...but at a price. Do a Google on this
    group and you will find plenty of info that others and myself have written over the past 12 months.
    Any specific questions...ask away!

    --
    Mark

    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak"

  10. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Erdefen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Dave wrote:
    >
    > > Can't help with the computer stuff, I'm afraid, but would be interested
    > > know what you ended up doing about buying a bike. Did you go for new?...which model did you
    > > get?...Did you use your LBS or Half*rds ? Cheers, Dave.
    >
    > I'm afraid I went for a Halford Raleigh P4000 at 250 Pds, it seems OK but
    it's
    > early days yet, I bought it yesterday morning and did approx15 Miles on
    it,
    > feeling the strain today so given it a rest, will try 20Miles tomorrow and
    see
    > how I get on, thanks for your interest. Cheers Erdefen

    No problem! Glad to hear you got a result. When I started regularly cycling again, I did a 4 mile
    round trip, daily, for a couple of months. Minor irritations but nothing more. Since then, I've done
    35 mile mountain bike tracks and all the way upto a 100 mile a day end to end trip. I definitely
    believe that starting off taking it easy and letting muscles get used to the new exercise type layed
    down a good grounding for being able to move upto more extreme distances with minimum fuss. Guess
    what I'm trying to say is take it easy initially, it will become easier, no point in rushing things
    to be able to do the TdF in a couple of weeks. Most importantly, enjoy! Cheers, Dave.

  11. Steve

    Steve Guest

    A word of warning. If you decide to get HRM (eg Polar type) and separate cyclometer (a perfectly
    reasonable thing to do), then do not get a wireless cyclometer. They can interfere with one another,
    resulting in apparent speeds of up to 50mph and heart rates of over 300bpm....a bit alarming!

    Regards Steve
    --
    *** Note: Please remove both socks before replying ***

    "Erdefen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for info on the above, I would like to have something I can clip on to the handlebars
    > and with readouts big enough to read without using my reading glasses. I would like it to have 2
    > readouts one to give info on the bike, eg, instantaneous speed, ave speed etc, the other display
    > to give info on my body eg instantaneous heart rate, memory of heart rate with maximums etc.
    >
    > Does such a thing exist? Does anyone have experience of using such a device with ref to
    > reliability, accuracy, price etc. Recommendations and/or constructive criticism would be
    > appreciated. Is there a website I can consult? As I am new to biking and of advancing years I feel
    > I need to be reassured by the info that this type of device might give me and might enable me to
    > increase my fitness level safely Regards Erdefen
    >
    > --
    > (Antispam, drop pants to EMail) All outgoing Emails checked for Virus with Norton.

  12. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 08:43:56 +0100, Erdefen wrote:

    > I'm looking for info on the above, I would like to have something I can clip on to the handlebars
    > and with readouts big enough to read without using my reading glasses.

    Can't help with heart rate. But this Palm Pilot based software might have a big enough display:
    http://www.bikebrain.com/

  13. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    steve wrote:
    > A word of warning. If you decide to get HRM (eg Polar type) and separate cyclometer (a perfectly
    > reasonable thing to do), then do not get a wireless cyclometer. They can interfere with one
    > another, resulting in apparent speeds of up to 50mph and heart rates of over 300bpm....a bit
    > alarming!
    >
    > Regards Steve

    The more expensive Polar models have coded transmitters ie. they receive only from the designated
    transmitter. That'll eliminate any cross talk.

  14. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    steve wrote:
    > A word of warning. If you decide to get HRM (eg Polar type) and separate cyclometer (a perfectly
    > reasonable thing to do), then do not get a wireless cyclometer. They can interfere with one
    > another, resulting in apparent speeds of up to 50mph and heart rates of over 300bpm....a bit
    > alarming!
    >
    > Regards Steve

    The more expensive Polar models have coded transmitters ie. they receive only from the designated
    transmitter. That'll eliminate any cross talk.

  15. den911

    den911 New Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2003