cycling computers

webbhost

Oct 17, 2006
Hi,

Well after recently buying (and destroying) a Topeak Comp140 (dont ask lol!), i have since started reading an endurance book, and it suggests to get a speedo that also monitors your heart rate.

Question is what would you suggest to be a decent cycling computer? I dont mind spending out.

If you want me to be a bit more precise ask me questions :)
Must also have cadence reading too.

I would suggest do put in "computer" under the search function it should bring up alot of threads about some computers. and maybe reposted in under Tech/Equiptment.

Cateyes are known to be reliable when it comes to wireless. My mtb computer is MC100W and never had any problems. For the functions you need the HR 200DW or the 300 and no wires
biggrin.gif
hehe.
There are other brands and ones that have GPS etc..with training functions etc. but thats probably going overboard.
You should also see if the LBS can get you a replacement wires cheaply for the one that was slashed.
eek.gif

Polar is the best known name for HRM based cycle computer although many others offer similar. Then there's the Garmin unit with GPS and the lot, but you should be aware of the limited rechargeable battery life on one of those. You might also want to look for a unit that has digital wireless data transmission rather than analogue, to minimise any interference from various sources.

Rockslayer said:
I would suggest do put in "computer" under the search function it should bring up alot of threads about some computers. and maybe reposted in under Tech/Equiptment.

Cateyes are known to be reliable when it comes to wireless. My mtb computer is MC100W and never had any problems. For the functions you need the HR 200DW or the 300 and no wires
biggrin.gif
hehe.
There are other brands and ones that have GPS etc..with training functions etc. but thats probably going overboard.
You should also see if the LBS can get you a replacement wires cheaply for the one that was slashed.
eek.gif
it was halfords.. i doubt it lol. GPS enabled cycling computer.. now that sounds interesting... how much those things go for? Would be useful because i dont have to worry as much as where i go.

webbhost said:
GPS enabled cycling computer.. now that sounds interesting... how much those things go for? Would be useful because i dont have to worry as much as where i go.
Forget it, the Garmin 305 doesn't do mapping navigation, so it's no good for your specific aim. For that, it's not bad to combine a regular cycle computer with a cheaper general mapping/navigation GPS unit such as Garmin's eTrex Vista Cx. This all weather unit does what you want and has a far longer battery life (up to 20+ hours).

http://www.garmin.com/fitness/products.htmlThe Garmin/GPS cyclocomputers...suited for someone who is into serious training to the point it tells them how they compare in speed riding up the same hill/grade or a set track from a previous ride or downloaded route. Probably aimed at the pro athlete or the tech lovers.
It would make a good personal trainer and help you log ride. Dang I would love one but already have more Gadgets than I know what to do with.
eek.gif

If you are just starting to get serious beyond commuting, just stick with the basics you suggested HRM, Cadence, wireless, etc as you are going to find other gear you will want to put money towards.
smile.gif
Technology is only going to get cheaper and better especially at the rate it is improving now.

Rockslayer said:
Technology is only going to get cheaper and better especially at the rate it is improving now.
I subscribed to that logic until one day, I suddenly realized that my biological clock ticked at the same rate and in sync with the rest of clocks on Earth. By the time the said technology arrives at a bargain price, I may no longer have a need for it... :eek:

sogood said:
I subscribed to that logic until one day, I suddenly realized that my biological clock ticked at the same rate and in sync with the rest of clocks on Earth. By the time the said technology arrives at a bargain price, I may no longer have a need for it... :eek:
Yeah tell me about it I need the tech thats going to keep my clock ticking and repair my sporting injuries
biggrin.gif
As for "need" yes for something I use all the time I agree spend the $$$ and let it enhance/improve your sport/leisure or your everyday life in general. Sometimes I wonder, people create stuff, market it, we buy it.
eek.gif
I better upgrade from my flash Auto Reverse, Cassette Walkman it's getting too heavy in my jersey pocket.
biggrin.gif

Rockslayer said:
The Garmin/GPS cyclocomputers...suited for someone who is into serious training to the point it tells them how they compare in speed riding up the same hill/grade or a set track from a previous ride or downloaded route. Probably aimed at the pro athlete or the tech lovers.
It would make a good personal trainer and help you log ride. Dang I would love one but already have more Gadgets than I know what to do with.
eek.gif

If you are just starting to get serious beyond commuting, just stick with the basics you suggested HRM, Cadence, wireless, etc as you are going to find other gear you will want to put money towards.
smile.gif
maybe ill have to snap my dads car GPS from him lol. Im planning on starting training day after tomorrow (tomorrow is recoverin from all that overtime ive been doing lol) - i know theres a cycling track about 10 miles away? i could bike near it at first, then to it, then start making my way down the cycling track.. ill make sure not to overdo it through lol. try to stick to 10 miles max at first, as my training book says people can generally do 3 x as much as they would usually do.

(does this mean if i do 10 mile bike rides, and get used to it, then i should be able to go to 30 mile bike rides after this? and so on to 90?)

If i do 10 miles at first i can even pick up a HRM on the way back lol.

Rockslayer said:
Polar looks good but how does it cope with overhead canopy/trees etc. offroad?
In terms of Altitude? GPS? Something else? I'm not sure what you mean.

I don't think the Polar monitors have GPS (I'm guessing this is what you're getting at), but hey my 710i is a few years old so maybe they have a new model with that functionality by now.

Otherwise everything works perfectly regardless of the conditions. The only problem I sometimes have is with electro magnetic interference with the wireless sensors. This usually happens around trams (I'm from Melbourne). It takes something big which is sucking a lot of juice anyhows.

webbhost said:
maybe ill have to snap my dads car GPS from him lol. Im planning on starting training day after tomorrow (tomorrow is recoverin from all that overtime ive been doing lol) - i know theres a cycling track about 10 miles away? i could bike near it at first, then to it, then start making my way down the cycling track.. ill make sure not to overdo it through lol. try to stick to 10 miles max at first, as my training book says people can generally do 3 x as much as they would usually do.

(does this mean if i do 10 mile bike rides, and get used to it, then i should be able to go to 30 mile bike rides after this? and so on to 90?)

If i do 10 miles at first i can even pick up a HRM on the way back lol.
sounds good. your ability to do the same ride/distance should definately improve. if your computer doesnt do this, Keep a brief written log it helps if you can look back to and need to change things. There should be some guide to logging in the book that you are reading. Note also nutrition before during and after. may how much rest you have had before and how you feel before and after ride. It can help pinpoint things that help improve or decline your riding ability. one thing I noticed for me was burning out early in the ride and being wrecked on the way back. Pace it and then if it is easy, increase the intensity at the end or next ride. Theres a whole bunch of other stuff. questions are always good.

Rhubarb said:
In terms of Altitude? GPS? Something else? I'm not sure what you mean.

I don't think the Polar monitors have GPS (I'm guessing this is what you're getting at), but hey my 710i is a few years old so maybe they have a new model with that functionality by now.

Otherwise everything works perfectly regardless of the conditions. The only problem I sometimes have is with electro magnetic interference with the wireless sensors. This usually happens around trams (I'm from Melbourne). It takes something big which is sucking a lot of juice anyhows.
sorry late 3'oclockitis. minds gone..kinda thinking Altitude based on GPS geuss its not relevant i this case. It's good to know about the interference though but lucky I wouldnt get offroad.
I was thinking about the ride comparisions on comps with Alt plus GPS which track ride and you can compare rate of climbs etc..
Does polar just give highest and lowest and averages in Alt ?

Rockslayer said:
sorry late 3'oclockitis. minds gone..kinda thinking Altitude based on GPS geuss its not relevant i this case. It's good to know about the interference though but lucky I wouldnt get offroad.
I was thinking about the ride comparisions on comps with Alt plus GPS which track ride and you can compare rate of climbs etc..
Does polar just give highest and lowest and averages in Alt ?
Ahhh thats cool.

Polar also does gradients, as it knows the alitude and the distance you are covering from the speedo - and works it out via rise/run. It can also then graph this.

So it does do highest, lowest, average, but can also tell you your altitude at a given time in the data it records as well as of course working out the gradient between two points.

hiya

i got bored yesterday so i popped out to halfords lol.. got a halfords HRM, and this time i got a "wireless" speedo to avoid cutting any wires again.

I might now have cadence this time, but im sure i can keep a rough track of that in my head.

Did my first proper training this morning and results were as follows:

date27-Oct-06
waking heart rate45
Morning Weight9.8
Hours of sleep8
Raiting 1 - 10 of enthusiasm for training + life7
Time of day9.45
temperature7C
wind12mph
max heart rate186
average heart rate171
total time24.52
milage6.12
average speed14.7
rating 1 - 10 of feeling whilst training4
calories burned297.87

I think i have all i need to start some good training.. However im not really sure ill do 3 days of centuries by next summer (sponsored event i wanna plan) - i might have to leave that until the year after lol. I got a long way to go...

One thing i did notice was the banging headache
when i got back home. I went out thinking aah its only a 6 mile run i wont need to drink - maybe i should wise up next time