Cycling Computers

That's a really interesting point. I suppose using your phone as a mounted cycling computer is a little reckless, as it certainly wasn't designed with the environmental stresses experienced at the front of a bike. Thats why I keep it strapped to my thigh or securely in my pocket. I would posit that having a screen on your handlebar is a little reckless because it draws your attention away from the road.

The device I use (read: my sig) comunicates all the data gathered both aurally and visually. Since I commute on my bike I really do need to be aware of road at all times, the sound portion makes a difference, especially during rush hour when people are the most ****** off and dangerous behind the wheel of an 1800 pound cycle destructor.

Has anyone had any close calls because they were looking at a cycle computer or some other distracting device on their bike?

robapp said:
Has anyone had any close calls because they were looking at a cycle computer or some other distracting device on their bike?

No. I don't stare at the computer. I occasionally glance at it, and I pick the best times to glance at it.

robapp said:

Nope, it's no different to me than glancing at the gauges in the car when I'm driving.....

Yeah, you guys are right, I suppose that comment was slightly hyperbolic. It is a little unrealistic to think that someone will train their full attention on the road at all times whether or not they have a screen to look at. However, I do still enjoy using custom sounds to tell me whats going on. Right now Im combing through old star trek episodes in hopes that I can get enough sound bytes so Picard can tell me my stats are (anyone know an episode where he says cadence?)