Cycling Computers

medavidcook

Jan 9, 2014
Hello All,

I am looking at purchasing my first cycling computer, I am looking for something that i can load maps onto,

I have been looking at the Garmin Edge 810,

anyone use this or know of any others

thanks

Garmin 810 /end of thread

There's that Mio 505 unit, but I don't even know what maps are available for it. Garmin wrote the book.

That's what I thought, I think I will stop looking round and getting reviewing the product. Thanks for vote Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an old 800 and I think they're brilliant, get yourself one you wont regret it.

Thanks for your input Steve, 800 could be the way forward as not alot of difference between 800 or 810, One question i have in the 810 you can save mutliple bike profiles, can you do this with the 800 if you can let me know will be great.

The 810 has capacity for up to 10 bikes. Bike setup was an early glitch, but that has been fixed with a software upgrade.

The 800 allowed up five bikes in memory.

Check out Garmin's less expensive Edge Touring models. They offer fewer cycling-specific features (no speed/cadence sensor input, no heart rate on the cheaper model, no barometer on the cheaper model etc.), but are still map and route oriented navigation devices. $250-$300 MSRP.

DC Rainmaker's review of the Touring. Basically a stripped down 810 designed for tourist types as opposed to the more performance oriented 800/810.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/08/garmin-touring-computer.html

I have the Edge 500 and love it. It does NOT have GPS nav, but it has all the cycling specific functions.

Mansmind said:
I have the Edge 500 and love it.  It does NOT have GPS nav, but it has all the cycling specific functions. 
To be accurate the 500 and 510 will show you a breadcrumb trail with a compass heading and a sort of map. It won't give you turn by turn directions. To use the breadcrumb trail you need to download a course to the unit or follow a previously used course. If someone wants or needs turn by turn directions or the ability to search for a location, they need to look at the 800 or 810.

In fact the Edge 510 will give turn by turn notifications provided you create your course properly i.e. click at every intersection when you're creating a course. You won't get a map as mentioned but you'll get a warning prior to every intersection saying "Turn left" in 50m etc. Couses created at RidewithGPS are better as you can add custom warnings plus you get the street name that you're currently on. This navigation is fine for navigating towns and country roads. Marginal in cities but okay if you have a rough idea of where you're going.

I know the 500 has course following capability... I set up a course to "race against myself", frankly it was very hit or miss. Now that COULD be just the GPS signal in my area...but I was less than 5 minutes into the ride when the unit thought I was off course for the next 10 minutes or so. I don't find that particularly benefit very useful personally.