Cycling Cross Country

misochan

May 11, 2011
I drove across Canada this summer with my family and saw a lot of cyclists along the way. It got me psyched to maybe want to try it myself. I was wondering if there is anyone on here that has done something similar to this doesn't have to be cross canada and if so maybe we could share information.

How long it took overall?
How many miles/km per day?
What training you did prior to the journey?
What equipment you took along?

It must be over 3000 miles. 60 days @ 50 miles/day (3-4 hours). 30 days @ 100 miles/day (6-8 hours).

You determine how long you want the trip to be and then train sufficient that you can do enough miles each day. You might even start before you are up to the trip and ride yourself into shape.

You map out your ride and determine what you need to carry. Perhaps there will be long stretches out West where stores are more than a day apart - a quick look at Google maps indicates that 50 mile days would get you from town to town. But a flat tire late in the day might cause you to knock on doors for a food or a place to stay.

A credit card. Some money. A couple spare tires (my tires last over 3000 miles but ...). A couple changes of bike clothes. A set of walking around clothes. A rack that lets you carry a day or two of food.

---

The hard part of doing the ride is: What to do when you are tired in a small town?