Cycling doctor gets death threats after posting videos of crapdriving on Youtube.

Ian Jackson wrote:

> In article
> <edbef349-e22b-42ad-a051-200736479b7e@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> spindrift <[email protected]> wrote:
>>What was the case in Cambridge where a cyclist was deliberately rammed
>>and trusted the police to investigate?

> You're probably thinking of my incident with a taxi in December 2006.
> The most recent summary I've posted here was yesterday, in this article:
> <u3i*[email protected]>
>
> I don't think the collision was deliberate in the sense that you put
> it. The taxi driver intended only to intimidate, but misjudged.
>
> But, yes, the police have been useless. After that incident I got
> cameras for my bike but the police aren't interested in prosecuting
> even with video evidence. See for example
> `KN51 TXU pulls out forcing me to swerve and brake' at
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ijackson/bikecams/

'Tailgating by and collision with N99 JHC' looks deliberate to me (yes, I
have read your narrative). Has that been shown to the police?

Incidentally, excellent presentation with the fore and aft cameras; makes
the road situation really clear.

;; better than your average performing pineapple

In article <[email protected]>,
Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>'Tailgating by and collision with N99 JHC' looks deliberate to me (yes, I
>have read your narrative). Has that been shown to the police?

No, it hasn't. That was after I gave up reporting things to the
police.

>Incidentally, excellent presentation with the fore and aft cameras; makes
>the road situation really clear.

Glad you like it. I've got a pile of really shoddy shell scripts
based on ffmpeg to unglue the incoming files and glue the result back
again encoded more compactly. Also a small program to determine the
timing offset by trying to make the soundtracks line up.

--
Ian Jackson personal email: <[email protected]>
These opinions are my own. http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ijackson/

PK wrote:
> you mean they walked their bikes to the edge of the pavement, got on,
> rode across the crossing and then got off again before mounting the
> pavement. Of course! my mistake! I apologise for my error!

The standard of proof for a criminal prosecution is "beyond reasonable
doubt", not "on the balance of probabilities". As witness all those car
and motorbike drivers in ASLs about whom nothing could be done because
they might possibly just have driven into the box while the light was
still green.

-dan

"Roger Merriman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1ief170.1n77fp3lp1gkzN%> reading/watching this i get the feeling they
think he's a idiot/funny.

He's currently appealing for moral support in the cyclechat commuting forum.

..

"Ian Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:bsr*[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>>'Tailgating by and collision with N99 JHC' looks deliberate to me (yes, I
>>have read your narrative). Has that been shown to the police?

> No, it hasn't. That was after I gave up reporting things to the
> police.
>
>>Incidentally, excellent presentation with the fore and aft cameras; makes
>>the road situation really clear.

> Glad you like it. I've got a pile of really shoddy shell scripts
> based on ffmpeg to unglue the incoming files and glue the result back
> again encoded more compactly. Also a small program to determine the
> timing offset by trying to make the soundtracks line up.

The one with the white van H748 FMJ was a particularly unpleasant encounter.
It's a shame your mics didn't pick up on the threats being issued, as
there'd be no way that should be ignored by the police. I did raise a small
smile when you read out the licence plate as "Foxtrot, Mango, Juliet",
although under the circumstances I'd have been likely to use the
"melonfarmer" word so beloved in Tarantino films than Mango! I don't think
many people are prepared to stand up to aggressive pillocks like this in the
way you do.

Colin

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:11:32 -0000,
Colin Reed <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ian Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:bsr*[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>'Tailgating by and collision with N99 JHC' looks deliberate to me (yes, I
>>>have read your narrative). Has that been shown to the police?

>> No, it hasn't. That was after I gave up reporting things to the
>> police.
>>
>>>Incidentally, excellent presentation with the fore and aft cameras; makes
>>>the road situation really clear.

>> Glad you like it. I've got a pile of really shoddy shell scripts
>> based on ffmpeg to unglue the incoming files and glue the result back
>> again encoded more compactly. Also a small program to determine the
>> timing offset by trying to make the soundtracks line up.
>>

> The one with the white van H748 FMJ was a particularly unpleasant encounter.
> It's a shame your mics didn't pick up on the threats being issued, as
> there'd be no way that should be ignored by the police. I did raise a small
> smile when you read out the licence plate as "Foxtrot, Mango, Juliet",
> although under the circumstances I'd have been likely to use the
> "melonfarmer" word so beloved in Tarantino films than Mango!

I think it was the TV edit of Repo Man by Alex Cox which started the
use of Melon Farmer for a certain other word. The suitcase in Pulp
Fiction seems to use an other-worldly light just as the boot of the
car in Repo Man. Was it a direct influence from Repo Man - probably.

--
Andy Leighton => [email protected]
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

"Andy Leighton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:11:32 -0000,
> Colin Reed <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> "Ian Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:bsr*[email protected]...
>>>
>>> No, it hasn't. That was after I gave up reporting things to the
>>> police.

>>> Glad you like it. I've got a pile of really shoddy shell scripts
>>> based on ffmpeg to unglue the incoming files and glue the result back
>>> again encoded more compactly. Also a small program to determine the
>>> timing offset by trying to make the soundtracks line up.
>>>

>> The one with the white van H748 FMJ was a particularly unpleasant
>> encounter.
>> It's a shame your mics didn't pick up on the threats being issued, as
>> there'd be no way that should be ignored by the police. I did raise a
>> small
>> smile when you read out the licence plate as "Foxtrot, Mango, Juliet",
>> although under the circumstances I'd have been likely to use the
>> "melonfarmer" word so beloved in Tarantino films than Mango!

> I think it was the TV edit of Repo Man by Alex Cox which started the
> use of Melon Farmer for a certain other word. The suitcase in Pulp
> Fiction seems to use an other-worldly light just as the boot of the
> car in Repo Man. Was it a direct influence from Repo Man - probably.

You mean like this otherworldly light?

http://www.yehudamoon.com/index.php?date=2008-02-14

just managing to combine a couple of threads there!

Colin

In article <[email protected]>,
Colin Reed <[email protected]> wrote:
>The one with the white van H748 FMJ was a particularly unpleasant encounter.

Yes.

>It's a shame your mics didn't pick up on the threats being issued, as
>there'd be no way that should be ignored by the police.

I have acquired a third camera with much better audio, but I haven't
yet decided where its line of sight ought to be.

> I did raise a small
>smile when you read out the licence plate as "Foxtrot, Mango, Juliet",

Yes :). Nice example of a stress-induced error.

> I don't think many people are prepared to stand up to aggressive
>pillocks like this in the way you do.

That's certainly the case but I don't blame them.

--

Ian Jackson wrote:
> Glad you like it. I've got a pile of really shoddy shell scripts
> based on ffmpeg to unglue the incoming files and glue the result back
> again encoded more compactly. Also a small program to determine the
> timing offset by trying to make the soundtracks line up.

Well geeked, that man!

BugBear

vernon <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Roger Merriman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:1ief170.1n77fp3lp1gkzN%> reading/watching this i get the feeling they
> think he's a idiot/funny.
> >

> He's currently appealing for moral support in the cyclechat commuting forum.
>
> .

yeah just googled that. sounds like he's getting a lot of hate comments
and the like, fairly intimidating even with a sensible head on.

roger

--
www.rogermerriman.com