Cycling Documentary Series-The Answer to Doping

susannahdean

Feb 15, 2013
I just saw post on facebook. Copied and pasted it below. It's awesome!! A letter from current US Masters Nat Champ.

Doping and the Future of Cycling:
An open letter to Cycling’s Press.

The letter no one wants to hear.

Hello,

I would like to offer one possible simple step in the right direction for the fight on doping.
Every day I read a new story on an old problem. Doping was, and may still be rampant, in pro cycling. Everyone gets that.

It’s not Lance’s fault. It’s not the UCI’s fault. It’s not USADA’s fault, or any other one person or one cycling group’s fault. It’s basic human behavior. At some level, everybody lies. Managing that temptation is one of life’s greatest challenges. Teaching those who are younger and less experienced than you to do the right thing is one of life’s greatest responsibilities.

Please consider running our latest documentary episode of RACE DAY- The Series on your website.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvhV8TqK6D0
(See synopsis below)

I hope it’s entertaining and I think your audience will enjoy it, but you can be the judge. More importantly, I think it will help us spread the word about one possible answer to the doping problem: Teach the next generation of cyclists the right set of values, morals and decision making skills so they can make the right choices on their own. Every major American cycling star who has been caught has the money, connections, and ability to do this. Even helping one or two of the young riders in their home town will make a difference.

I had my first personal experience with doping in the biggest NRC criterium of the time in America in 1989. I was in the winning breakaway with five other guys who were all proven world-class riders. It was my first year as a pro and the average speed of the race was right around 31mph. In the closing laps, I watched one of the guys in the break simply ride away at 32-34mph and win solo. The rest of us in the break did not stop chasing and we did not catch him. After the race, I asked one of my breakaway companions (who had won huge races in Europe and the USA), “How is that possible?” He simply replied, “Oh, he’s on the program.” After a bit more questioning, I understood. My immediate and overwhelming response was, “F#&* - That – Guy! I’m going to train harder, race smarter, build a better team and beat him anyway.”

I stood on the podium of more than 300 Pro 1-2 races in my career and in well over 100 of those I was on the top step. How many of the other 200 or so races was there a doper on the top step above me? I don’t know. I don’t care. I raced clean. I knew I did, and I knew those who didn’t knew they didn’t. That’s all that mattered to me.

The moral of the story? All the way back to the mid 80’s when bike racing became a real sport here in America, everyone who was anyone in the sport knew about doping. I was there and I’m telling you, EVERYONE knew. Each rider had to make a conscious and moral choice to do it or not do it. And the word on the street was if you wanted to have a career in Europe, let alone a winning one, you probably have to be on the program because most of the riders there were. Now, not every single rider who ever raced over there did drugs. That’s not true. That’s never been true. But, almost every single rider knew what they were up against. Those were the rules. If you race, you race against dopers. Do it, or don’t do it. But, don’t cry about it.

I hope now we can change the rules.

Finally, I know this episode promotes our program and our sponsors, but I think they deserve it. In the current cycling environment, if you want to keep companies who are still behind the sport interested, it’s important to give them exposure for doing the right thing.

Thank you.

Jamie Paolinetti
Writer/Director – RACE DAY - The series
The Hard Road – thehardroadmovie.com
PRO the movie – prothemovie.com
Former Associate Editor – Bicycle Guide Magazine
Current USA Cycling - Master’s National Criterium Champion

susannahdean said:
It was my first year as a pro and the average speed of the race was right around 31mph. In the closing laps, I watched one of the guys in the break simply ride away at 32-34mph and win solo. The rest of us in the break did not stop chasing and we did not catch him. After the race, I asked one of my breakaway companions (who had won huge races in Europe and the USA), “How is that “How is that possible?” He simply replied, “Oh, he’s on the program.” After a bit more questioning, I understood.
in a flat race with no wind or a tailwind, with a good field of cyclists, 31 mph average is possible, and if one guy brakes away he can because he trained better than you, doing motorpacing and killing himself with intervals in the L5-6-7 levels, thats all the program you need,