Cycling DVD's

cali-largeguy

Aug 26, 2005
I am looking for some advice. I am asking Santa for a dvd to use while on the trainer at nights, and am wondering which ones are the best out there. By best I mean the best workout while at the same time being entertaining. Any suggestions.
Just have to throw this in for all you snow bound people. Here in wonderful California we are still able to ride outside. Did 42 miles today :D and it was only 36F when we left at 8:30am, and got steadily warmer. Sorry folks, gotta love Cali

Set your trainer up in front of the biggest TV or projector screen you can find. Play a TdF, Giro, Vuelta or spring classic DVD. Use iPod ear buds or similar so you get a total immersion sound... the sounds of screaming tifosi, motorbikes, tooting team cars and Phil Liggett or Paul Sherwin saying... "I just don't know where he gets the legs... look at that massive gear he's pushing".

Mountain stages are the best as they're usually longer and you can grind up then spin (make sure you get into an aero tuck) down. Chuck the odd bottle across the room when it's finished. Sprints at the end of a stage can be good... just make sure you don't get head butted or run into the barriers by the likes of Robbie McKewen

There's nothing like becoming a Tour hero in your own front room.

Oh... and don't forget to make up your own victory salute as you cross the line... and zip up your jersey for the cameras.

cali-largeguy said:
I am looking for some advice. I am asking Santa for a dvd to use while on the trainer at nights, and am wondering which ones are the best out there. By best I mean the best workout while at the same time being entertaining. Any suggestions.
Just have to throw this in for all you snow bound people. Here in wonderful California we are still able to ride outside. Did 42 miles today :D and it was only 36F when we left at 8:30am, and got steadily warmer. Sorry folks, gotta love Cali
I don't think I've seen any genuine workout dvd -- Troy Jacobson or Chris Charmichael -- that I could classify as "entertaining." The best workout dvd I've used is Jacobson's 90-minute time trial. I've got about a dozen of his other dvds, and you can't go wrong with them. For this time of year his series called Aerobase Builders, which is exactly what the title suggests, is particularly good.
For cycling entertainment, this year's (2005) Giro is pretty exciting, and the 2003 TDF is a favorite.
A friend says the best way to go is with a double screen -- perhaps the TV and a laptop with a dvd player on it, with pure entertainment on one and a cycle training dvd on the other. Haven't got the screens to try it, but it might be the answer if you do.

Have you ever thought about playing video games while you riding? Just a thought.. ya know.

I ususally watch the tour or other cycling related dvds. But it gets old.