cycling equipment on the internet

oroboy

Sep 20, 2003
Would you all please share your favorite websites for purchasing cycling equipment on the web. I'm looking for full gruppos, wheels, pedals, clothes etc..... Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanx

Oroboy

Purchasing cycling gear on the web conforms to lots of the same general rules that all online shopping seems subject to.

There are a hanful of online stores that are widely reputable, provide relatively good service, and list reasonable prices. With a little searching, it's not tough to find cheaper prices or rarer items from increasingly smaller or more obscure stores -- these can be gems, or they can be headaches. Without asking around, there's no way to know.

Some of the big stores include Performance Bike, Supergo, Bike Nashbar, and Colorado Cyclist -- think of these as bike superstores. They may not carry a full spread of the sexiest, rarest imports, but they're easy one-stop shopping if you need a new derailleur, some brake shoes, a roll of rim tape and a pair of socks.

There are also a number of shops which cater to a slightly higher crust -- Reparto Corse and Competetive Cyclist come to mind. Wrench Science, here in Berkeley, operates one of the nicest high-end custom build shops around, but nice bikes are about all you can order from them; general supplies sales aren't their thing.

There are lots of others... Glory Cycles are pretty good; Bike Tires Direct aren't bad for decent prices on (what else?).

Good luck.

Lately I've been using Wise Cycle Buys to purchase a few components from. (http://www.wisecyclebuys.com/) Kind-of off the beaten path... Their customer service and prices are as good as anybody's, and William (guy who answers the phone) has been a great guy to deal with.

And of course don't forget our banner add sponsors on the left!

I want to add Excel Sports. Their service people have been super helpful and when they ran out of a part I wanted, they just threw in a higher end component -- same price -- instead of making me wait... Good stuff.

just be careful with airbomb. those guys are idiots, it took me 2 months to get two water cages. sheesh...incorrect advertising. yikes.

Originally posted by Xandre
just be careful with airbomb. those guys are idiots, it took me 2 months to get two water cages. sheesh...incorrect advertising. yikes.
I had a problem with Airbomb as well; I waited a long time for an itme that turned out to be not in stock. Any store can make this kind of mistake, but how they handle it is another story. Good stores let you know, so you can make a call.

On the other hand, I've had great luck with Airbomb. Extremely fast shipping and super prices.

I've also purchased from the previously mentioned stores with great success as well. Excel Sports has a great catalog with all the groupo components broken out by price and weight.

I would like to add one more to the list: World Cycling Productions (www.worldcyclinig.com). They are particularly great for race videos/DVDs and clothing - both team logo and high-end technical wear. They have a fair selection of components, pieces, and odds and ends, along with a frames, forks and complete bikes (Colnago, Time, Pinarello, Opera, and BMC). I have found them to be accurate and quick. Never had a problem with them.

Originally posted by oroboy
Would you all please share your favorite websites for purchasing cycling equipment on the web. I'm looking for full gruppos, wheels, pedals, clothes etc..... Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanx

Oroboy

I've been happy with Stephen at www.bikeusa.com (Mud, Sweat & Gears, Lawton OK). Range and prices are pretty good. Pricepoint's good but a bit anal (and pricey) about shipping.

Originally posted by oroboy
Thanx

Oroboy

Add Lickton's at http://www.lickbike.com
Bob is quite a character, but he knows how to service his customers and hires knowledgable people. One of the regular contributors here is on his staff.
Since Peter Chisholm, Sheldon Brown, and Andrew Muzi also contribute regularly; you should check with them for good value. Price is one component of that value.

Watch out for wise cycle buys. I ordered a stem, it never came (but they took my money). They never replied to emails, never answered the phone, and although we left messages, they never called us back. $66 down the toilet. WATCH OUT!!! Beware of any web-based shop that doesn't have a postal address clearly on the website, and test the phone number first - make sure somebody actually answers it!

Interestingly, got somewhere with wise cycle buys today (although our order was placed 6 1/2 weeks ago) and on the way to a very amicable resolution! Still, my advice still stands...check the number gets answered, check the email gets replied to, BEFORE placing an order - get peace of mind before sending money and before commiting yourself to a supply of crucial components. We've had really good business with wiggle.co.uk and evanscycles.co.uk over here (although ribblecycles.co.uk is popular but can have slow/partial delivery and is also very hard to reach by phone). Any time you can pay by paypal is a good and safe idea. We've bought from US suppliers via ebay quite a bit and never had a problem, but again, if in doubt send an email first and just check you can get the lines of communication open.

I've gotten stuff from Performance Bike, which I liked because they have real stores (some of which are not that far from where I live in northern CA), so there was always the option of actually going to a store, in case of difficulties.

I've also had good luck with a couple of purchases from bicyclebuys.com. They have some really low-price specials. As an example, I bought some shoes from them that were $15 or so cheaper than any other store in the internet (after LOTS of searching), and they threw in free shipping to boot. Of course, I only have experience with a couple of purchases.

Thirdly, I've had decent luck so far in buying from ebay "stores" (as opposed to individual sellers of used gear), including purchases of new pedals (shimano Ultegra for around $89, including shipping, versus $140 or so at regular stores), and a variety of New Old Stock vintage parts (old Suntour shifters, derailleurs, etc.)

oroboy said:
Thanx

Oroboy
With the exceptions of bike and wheels I hve done most of my shopping of the internet. My two favorite are ProBikeKit and Geoff Butler. I even by my High 5 bars, gels and drinks online from them, about 1/2 the cost of the same product here in Oz and that includes shipping.