Cycling Etiquette

Lazarus-g

Oct 26, 2001
Okay this is the deal. I ride solo all the time so I don't really know how to ride with somebody else. Yesterday I caught up with another rider and after a small chat realised he was going the same way so we rode together.<br /><br />I took the lead and after a while he did, the pace dropped considerably so that I was on his wheel most of the time, I left him there for a mile but felt he was struggling so took over again. When I got to a set of lights I stopped to see if he was alright but he was nowhere in sight. I got off the bike because I thought he'd fallen off but he came around the corner so when he caught up I got back on and set off again at a slower pace, We came to a hill that I always hammer down and when I got to the bottom he'd gone again.<br /><br />So what should I have done ? within another two miles he'd have gone one way and I another, so I kept on going.<br /><br />Right now I feel awful, I feel that I should have stopped again, waited and eventually said goodbye when we parted :(<br /><br />Any thoughts ?

I don't think you did anything wrong. No reason to feel bad. He probably also felt pressure thinking that he was keeping you up.

In all these situations I've been involved in, I have filled both the slower rider and faster rider role on many occasions (although I'm yet to do both simutaneously). If someone is going at something close to my pace, I'll hang with them for a while or give an extra 10% to keep up with them (depending on the situation). <br /><br />However, if there is a huge difference in speed, there's really no point waiting around all day, and during times when I've been the slower rider, I haven't expected them to wait for me either.

Who was it that said: "The first thing I learnt as a cyclist is that no-one waits for you"? Roger Penske, I think?

I've been on a few group rides with a specific "no drop" rule. However, the usual case is that everyone goes at their own pace. The exception is for a total newbie...I'll usually go out of my way to make him or her feel welcome. The sensation of being passed by everybody can be a bit intimidating.

My riding buddy and me split at various points on each ride, he is 30kg heavier than me so the hills are the most obvious time.<br /><br />We have an unspoken agreement that I will cut back and cruise part way down the hills to meet up with him and ride then together to the top.<br /><br />We also have an unspoken deal to meet at turnaround points etc to ensure we are both travelling ok.<br /><br />It works well, and allows us to ride together, and seperately, on the same ride.<br /><br />With strangers, I normally say G'day, and try my luck to blast them with speed, or burn up trying. It's my personal incentive scheme to keep my pushing hard. It's not meant to show up others, just give me a 1,2 or 5 minute goal to keep me rolling up the hill.