cycling events, wiltshire, for a dad and 11 year old

didds

Guest
My son (11) yesterday asked if there were any cycling events like the
10K races/runs I involve myself in - organised events with marshalling
etc.

I've googled and can find lots of hits for guides to family bike rides
etc ... which is the sort of thing we do anyway ... but can't come
up with much that looks suitable for a 45 year poor cyclist and a 11
year old :) 125Km audax's sound great but I doubt either of us would
stand a chance of completing one :)

any pointers?

Wiltshire preferred so we don;t have to drive miles (which would
rather defeat the object :)

cheers

didds

On 26/05/2008 18:23, didds wrote:
> My son (11) yesterday asked if there were any cycling events like the
> 10K races/runs I involve myself in - organised events with marshalling
> etc.

<snip>
> Wiltshire preferred so we don;t have to drive miles (which would
> rather defeat the object :)

Not quite the same thing, and not quite Wiltshire either, but:
http://tinyurl.com/5spwka
leads to:
<http://www.bristol.gov.uk/ccm/content/Transport-Streets/Walking-Cycling/bristols-biggest-bike-ride.en?#internalSection1>

A search for "cycling" at http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/ throws up a few
hits, some of which might be of interest to you.

You might also find something useful on one of the local CTC sites (I'm
not sure which of these will be more relevant to you):
http://www.wessexctc.org/
http://www.ctcwest.org.uk/

--
Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk>
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis

didds wrote:
> My son (11) yesterday asked if there were any cycling events like the
> 10K races/runs I involve myself in - organised events with marshalling
> etc.
>
> I've googled and can find lots of hits for guides to family bike rides
> etc ... which is the sort of thing we do anyway ... but can't come
> up with much that looks suitable for a 45 year poor cyclist and a 11
> year old :) 125Km audax's sound great but I doubt either of us would
> stand a chance of completing one :)
>
> any pointers?

50K audaxes? http://www.aukweb.net/cal/calsolo.php?Ride=08-27 is in
Bristol, which may not be too far away. They aren't marshalled, but the
limited number of 50Ks I've done with my son have been quite sociable
with easy to follow route sheets.

Alternatively try contacting your local CTC - most groups do regular
rides of different speeds and distances.

didds wrote:
> My son (11) yesterday asked if there were any cycling events like the
> 10K races/runs I involve myself in - organised events with marshalling
> etc.
>
> I've googled and can find lots of hits for guides to family bike rides
> etc ... which is the sort of thing we do anyway ... but can't come
> up with much that looks suitable for a 45 year poor cyclist and a 11
> year old :) 125Km audax's sound great but I doubt either of us would
> stand a chance of completing one :)
>
> any pointers?
>
> Wiltshire preferred so we don;t have to drive miles (which would
> rather defeat the object :)
>
> cheers
>
> didds

Which bit of Wiltshire are you in? Chippenham Wheelers organise a number
of different races on Thursday evenings at Castle Combe.

Here's this coming Thursdays events:

4th Go Ride Session Castle Combe Circuit 18:00-19:00.
5th Summer Series Circuit Racing Castle Combe Circuit. Youth Races
19:00, Seniors 19:30

On Tuesdays:

Training at Castle Combe Circuit from 17:30. £1 each.
Some times a youth time trial Castle Combe Circuit 18:30

Hope that helps

On May 27, 11:00 am, Rob Horton <yahoo@mr_horton.com> wrote:
> didds wrote:

> Which bit of Wiltshire are you in?

devizes

> Chippenham Wheelers organise a number
> of different races on Thursday evenings at Castle Combe.
>
> Here's this coming Thursdays events:
>
> 4th Go Ride Session Castle Combe Circuit 18:00-19:00.
> 5th Summer Series Circuit Racing Castle Combe Circuit. Youth Races
> 19:00, Seniors 19:30

Looks good :)

What would the races "consist" of do you know?

My son also only has a small MTB (ie not a road bike). Is this a
problem?

cjheers

didds

didds wrote:
> On May 27, 11:00 am, Rob Horton <yahoo@mr_horton.com> wrote:
>> didds wrote:

>> Which bit of Wiltshire are you in?

> devizes
>
>> Chippenham Wheelers organise a number
>> of different races on Thursday evenings at Castle Combe.
>>
>> Here's this coming Thursdays events:
>>
>> 4th Go Ride Session Castle Combe Circuit 18:00-19:00.
>> 5th Summer Series Circuit Racing Castle Combe Circuit. Youth Races
>> 19:00, Seniors 19:30

> Looks good :)
>
> What would the races "consist" of do you know?
>
> My son also only has a small MTB (ie not a road bike). Is this a
> problem?
>
> cjheers
>
> didds

Don't know, I would suggest paying a visit to view the Castle Combe
activites on a Thursday. Try to turn up in time to look at the Go-Ride
and youth races.

Here's a link to the Wheelers Go-Ride stuff

http://www.communigate.co.uk/wilts/chippenhamwheelers/page24.phtml

Alternatively, if you want to do some off road stuff and haven't found
any good local trails then give Spirt Hill Trail a go.

http://www.spirthilltrail.uk.com/products.htm

It's based at Spirt Hill Farm which is just north of Calne on top of the
ridge. You'll have to pay a few pounds since it is privately owned, but
then you don't have to drive to wales and pay the bridge fees.

Hope that helps

On 27 May, 11:00, Rob Horton <yahoo@mr_horton.com> wrote:
> didds wrote:
> > My son (11) yesterday asked if there were any cycling events like the
> > 10K races/runs I involve myself in - organised events with marshalling
> > etc.

> > I've googled and can find lots of hits for guides to family bike rides
> > etc ...  which is the sort of thing we do anyway ...  but can't come
> > up with much that looks suitable for a 45 year poor cyclist and a 11
> > year old :)  125Km audax's sound great but I doubt either of us would
> > stand a chance of completing one :)

> > any pointers?

> > Wiltshire preferred so we don;t have to drive miles (which would
> > rather defeat the object :)

> > cheers

> > didds

> Which bit of Wiltshire are you in? Chippenham Wheelers organise a number
> of different races on Thursday evenings at Castle Combe.
>
> Here's this coming Thursdays events:
>
> 4th Go Ride Session Castle Combe Circuit 18:00-19:00.
> 5th Summer Series Circuit Racing Castle Combe Circuit. Youth Races
> 19:00, Seniors 19:30
>
> On Tuesdays:
>
> Training at Castle Combe Circuit from 17:30. £1 each.
> Some times a youth time trial Castle Combe Circuit 18:30
>
> Hope that helps- Hide quoted text -

Do they use the "new" chicanes?

On 28 May, 12:11, Rob Horton <yahoo@mr_horton.com> wrote:

> Alternatively, if you want to do some off road stuff and haven't found
> any good local trails then give Spirt Hill Trail a go.
>
> http://www.spirthilltrail.uk.com/products.htm
>
> It's based at Spirt Hill Farm which is just north of Calne on top of the
> ridge. You'll have to pay a few pounds since it is privately owned, but
> then you don't have to drive to wales and pay the bridge fees.
>
> Hope that helps

cheers Rob - really appreciate your help :)

didds