Cycling facility at work - proposal rejected.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Bates, Oct 7, 2003.

  1. An email was sent out to all employees at work asking for ideas on how to spend a grant which the
    organisation had received to fund improvements to facilities for employees to cycle to work.

    My idea was to install a second shower in the gents changing room. I pointed out that there was a
    urinal which I had never seen anybody use (the smell is an effective barrier) which could perhaps
    make the installation painless since there was already a water and drainage supply there.

    My idea was rejected in favour of providing the grand total of 6 Sheffield stands which have
    insufficient room between them to accomodate 2 bikes (ie it is impossible to put a bike either side
    of a single stand). But there *is* a cover over the instalation to stop your back wheel getting wet!
    --
    "Netiquette" states that a signature should be no more than four lines long.

    Tags:

  2. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Richard Bates" <[email protected]ara.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > An email was sent out to all employees at work asking for ideas on how to spend a grant which the
    > organisation had received to fund improvements to facilities for employees to cycle to work.
    >
    > My idea was to install a second shower in the gents changing room. I pointed out that there was a
    > urinal which I had never seen anybody use (the smell is an effective barrier) which could perhaps
    > make the installation painless since there was already a water and drainage supply there.

    Oh what I would give for shower facilities here!!

  3. On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 14:19:22 +0100, Richard Bates
    <[email protected]ara.co.uk> wrote:

    > My idea was rejected in favour of providing the grand total of 6 Sheffield stands which have
    > insufficient room between them to accomodate 2 bikes (ie it is impossible to put a bike either
    > side of a single stand). But there *is* a cover over the instalation to stop your back wheel
    > getting wet!

    I hope you've pointed out that as each stand can be used by only one bike they could have saved
    themselves half the money by installing three stands spaced appropriately in the same area.

    Colin

  4. David Wilson

    David Wilson Guest

    does it not get a little time consuming having to shower when you get to work? or do you just never
    shower at home so you save the time that way?

    news:[email protected]...

  5. David Wilson wrote:
    > does it not get a little time consuming having to shower when you get to work? or do you just
    > never shower at home so you save the time that way?

    That's the way it works for me - quick shave & breakfast, on me bike and then a nice shower at work.
    That way I don't mind getting hot/cold/wet/muddy/frosty etc cos a shower soon puts it right.

  6. "Russell Fulker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > That's the way it works for me - quick shave & breakfast, on me bike and then a nice shower at
    > work....

    I don't like waking up without going straight in the shower, as I don't really feel properly awake
    without the shower to kick me into life.

  7. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Russell Fulker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > That's the way it works for me - quick shave & breakfast, on me bike and then a nice shower at
    > > work....
    >
    > I don't like waking up without going straight in the shower, as I don't
    really
    > feel properly awake without the shower to kick me into life.

    Same here, although shaving in the shower can have interesting consequences such as shaving your
    left eyebrow half off! Simon

  8. Peter Fox

    Peter Fox Guest

    Following on from Richard Bates's message. . .
    >An email was sent out to all employees at work asking for ideas on how to spend a grant which the
    >organisation had received to fund improvements to facilities for employees to cycle to work.
    >
    >My idea was to install a second shower in the gents changing room. I pointed out that there was a
    >urinal which I had never seen anybody use (the smell is an effective barrier) which could perhaps
    >make the installation painless since there was already a water and drainage supply there.
    >
    >My idea was rejected in favour of providing the grand total of 6 Sheffield stands which have
    >insufficient room between them to accomodate 2 bikes (ie it is impossible to put a bike either
    >side of a single stand). But there *is* a cover over the instalation to stop your back wheel
    >getting wet!

    So grant whoever provided the grant will be ones to take exception. All grant-giving bodies
    waffle-on about 'quality' write to them and ask if they are happy with the quality of this
    installation.

    Ask your organisation whose advice they got about spacing the stands. Then say - "Well you need to
    get _them_ to fix their blunder."

    --
    PETER FOX Not the same since the cardboard box company folded

  9. David Wilson wrote:

    > does it not get a little time consuming having to shower when you get to work? or do you just
    > never shower at home so you save the time that way?

    The latter. Who cares if you smell out on the road?

  10. In article <[email protected]>, David Wilson wrote:
    > does it not get a little time consuming having to shower when you get to work? or do you just
    > never shower at home so you save the time that way?

    I don't think its as bad as trying to wash in a sink. You can strip off, quick shower and get
    dressed quite quickly. We have a single occupancy toilet upstairs with sink, but no shower. You need
    to at least completely change and dry yourself off after a long ride.

    I used to work at a large company in Warwick, which had a number of showers. The one near my office
    was over a 1 tile deep cutout in the boys' room floor - a good idea, only a lot of water missed the
    cutout and caused the room to flood. The shower was handy though.

    - Richard

    --
    _/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard dot Corfield at ntlworld dot com _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/ Time is a
    one way street, _/ _/ _/_/ _/_/_/ Except in the Twighlight Zone.

  11. W K

    W K Guest

    "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Russell Fulker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > That's the way it works for me - quick shave & breakfast, on me bike and then a nice shower at
    > > work....
    >
    > I don't like waking up without going straight in the shower, as I don't
    really
    > feel properly awake without the shower to kick me into life.

    a nice chilly ride, with a good downhill and a few large roundabouts do me.