Cycling for 1,000 miles

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by bosco500, Nov 19, 2016.

1. bosco500

bosco500 New Member

I have been on the road bike for about a year now. Done a few centuries. I really want to venture out and go farther. I would like to go from GA to NY which is about 1,000 miles, but am worried about saddle sores. If I ride 100 miles in a day I have blisters. I really can't imagine doing that 10-15 days in a row. Are there any "pads" or anything else that you can stick to your bottom that absolutely stop any chafing? A simple google search didn't turn up anything of importance. Thanks for any help.

Tags:

2. Uawadall

Uawadall Active Member

Many factors, could be a combination of:
    your saddle (maybe try a different one), time spent(100 miles is a lot),shorts, not standing every once in a while, etc...As you realize, 100 miles is much different from 100 miles for 10+ days straight. Did you think of maybe not doing all the days consecutively or lowering the mileage? It may be fun to o minimal biking after lets say, 3 or so days. It'll give you a chance to enjoy a town and recover.

3. MikeWMass

MikeWMass New Member

Something is wrong if you are getting blisters in 100 miles. Are you wearing cycling shorts? Have you tried chamois cream? (I don't care for it, but a lot of people use it).
    If you are wearing cycling shorts, are they too big? My experience is they should be pretty tight, so the chamois does not move relative to you, and should not pinch anything.
    Is your saddle at the right height? Too high, and you end up rocking, especially when tired.
    If all that is OK, you may want to talk to a bike fitter, or look into a different saddle.
    Hope that helps, and good luck with your long ride!

4. bulaboy

bulaboy Member

Experiment w/different saddles and shorts. And what Mike said about saddle height and fit is right on.

What time of year are you planning to do this ride? If you have the time beforehand I'd suggest you ramp your mileage up to ~300/week and keep it there for a couple of months. Do a couple of back to back centuries. That will force you to resolve any issues with; bike fit, the saddle, the shoes, fueling... You will also have a better idea how many miles you will be able to consistently do. Good luck.

5. bosco500

bosco500 New Member

Thanks for the tip guys. I think my shorts may be a little large. That is the first thing I'm going to change. Planning the ride for May or June of 2017 so plenty of time to get ready. I'm in Atlanta, so probably won't be doing much high mileage (other than on the trainer) for a few months. Definitely want to get a professional fit on the bike, haven't done that yet.