cycling for charity.

Mark E. Johnson

Guest
i am considering a circumferential trip around the u.s. over a 6 month period and am curious of
anyone's experiences with doing a long tour for charity.

i.e., people donate money to me for my trip and most if not all of this money in turn gets donated
to a charity organization.

any experiences on this?

thanks!

-mark johnson

as a clarification, my plan is to organize and do the trip solo... and was wondering what the best
approach (if it makes sense) to turn this into a fund-raising event.

-mark

[email protected] (Mark E. Johnson) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> i am considering a circumferential trip around the u.s. over a 6 month period and am curious of
> anyone's experiences with doing a long tour for charity.
>
> i.e., people donate money to me for my trip and most if not all of this money in turn gets donated
> to a charity organization.
>
> any experiences on this?
>
> thanks!
>
> -mark johnson

You will either need to get sponsored by a charity or obtain 501 (c)(3) charitable status from the
IRS in order for donations to your ride to be tax deductible by others. Both will take more time to
obtain than the ride.

The latter requires formation of a tax exempt organization (state filings) followed by
organizational plan that meets charitable status, and then file application for tax exempt status
with the IRS. It is as complicated as it sounds. Good luck.

Frank