Cycling for weight loss. Update

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Daniel Crispin, Jun 28, 2004.

  1. Well been 3 weeks now. Lost 8 pounds on week 1, 6 pounds on
    week 2 and 2 pounds last week. Loosing less and less will
    have to eat less and pedal more ;) But seriously first few
    weeks I know you loose a lot of water too, so that's most
    likelly normal. Now just gotta find a way to keep loosing 4
    pounds per week and I will be happy.

    I read a lot about those carbs. I decided to lower my intake
    of the ones that spike insulin production. Will be hard
    since I am a pasta and rice guy. Good thing is that I am not
    a potato guy, 95 on the glycemic index is insane ;)

    How about you guys that were doing the same?

    Tags:

  2. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Daniel Crispin writes:

    > Well been 3 weeks now. Lost 8 pounds on week 1, 6 pounds
    > on week 2 and 2 pounds last week. Loosing less and less
    > will have to eat less and pedal more ;) But seriously
    > first few weeks I know you loose a lot of water too, so
    > that's most likely normal. Now just gotta find a way to
    > keep loosing 4 pounds per week and I will be happy.

    This sounds hard to me. If yo don't like bicycling and
    riding in the mountains, the exercise becomes just that and
    wears on you. In the long run, riding a bicycle because you
    love it is a durable hobby and it allows you to eat well
    without counting calories.

    > I read a lot about those carbs. I decided to lower my
    > intake of the ones that spike insulin production. Will be
    > hard since I am a pasta and rice guy. Good thing is that I
    > am not a potato guy, 95 on the glycemic index is insane ;)

    Ohhh, it sounds so unpleasant. Maybe you don't have nice
    mountains, forest and seascapes for your rides, but riding
    for the fun of it is more lasting and takes the drudgery out
    of 'exercising'.

    > How about you guys that were doing the same?

    I don't.

    Jobst Brandt [email protected]

  3. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Daniel Crispin wrote:

    > I read a lot about those carbs. I decided to lower my
    > intake of the ones that spike insulin production. Will be
    > hard since I am a pasta and rice guy.

    Well, don't cut out the carbs completely, especially from
    your post-workout recovery meal. Recommended intake after a
    hard workout is 70-100 gm of carbs and 20-25 gm of protein.
    Skip the simple sugars, not the complex carbs.

  4. Garyg

    Garyg Guest

    "Daniel Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well been 3 weeks now. Lost 8 pounds on week 1, 6 pounds
    > on week 2 and 2 pounds last week. Loosing less and less
    > will have to eat less and pedal more ;) But
    seriously
    > first few weeks I know you loose a lot of water too, so
    > that's most likelly normal. Now just gotta find a way to
    > keep loosing 4 pounds per week and I will be happy.

    No offense, but you're dreaming. Your goal of losing 4 lbs
    per week is unrealistic. It would require a daily deficit of
    2000 calories (1 lb of fat
    = 3500 calories). That means you need to eat 2000 calories
    = less than you
    burn each day. That is a nearly impossible rate of weight
    loss, and potentially unhealthy because it's hard to get
    sufficient vitamins and minerals. It's also hard to exercise
    with such a large calorie deficit.

    Most authorities recommend a much more modest rate of weight
    loss - a deficit of 500 calories per day is recommended and
    should result in about 1 lb per week of weight loss. See
    http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2002/102_fat.html for more
    info on this.

    Keep up the bike riding, and aim for a modest, sustainable
    rate of weight loss. You didn't gain all that weight in a
    few months, and you won't lose it in a few months either.

    GG http://www.WeightWare.com Your Weight and Health Diary

    > I read a lot about those carbs. I decided to lower my
    > intake of the ones that spike insulin production. Will be
    > hard since I am a pasta and rice guy. Good thing is that I
    > am not a potato guy, 95 on the glycemic index is insane ;)
    >
    > How about you guys that were doing the same?

  5. On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 22:15:08 -0400, "Daniel Crispin"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Well been 3 weeks now. Lost 8 pounds on week 1, 6 pounds on
    >week 2 and 2 pounds last week. Loosing less and less will
    >have to eat less and pedal more ;) But seriously first few
    >weeks I know you loose a lot of water too, so that's most
    >likelly normal. Now just gotta find a way to keep loosing 4
    >pounds per week and I will be happy.
    >
    >I read a lot about those carbs. I decided to lower my
    >intake of the ones that spike insulin production. Will be
    >hard since I am a pasta and rice guy. Good thing is that I
    >am not a potato guy, 95 on the glycemic index is insane ;)
    >
    >How about you guys that were doing the same?

    I've lost about 2KG just putzing around enjoying the
    sights here in the 10 days or so since I got my new bike.
    I try to ride 2 times a day - once in the morning and once
    in the evening.

    Right now, we have a typhoon bearing down on us!
    http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V4e/typhoon/news/TYtrace.htm I went
    out for a ride today and I could hardly make headway against
    the high winds. There isn't a cloud in the sky yet and it
    will be 48 to 72 more hours before its actually here!

    Michael J. Klein [email protected] Dasi Jen, Taoyuan
    Hsien, Taiwan, ROC Please replace mousepotato with
    asiancastings

  6. Matt Woodthorpe

    Matt Woodthorpe New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2004
    Well done on the weight loss, of course you have to remember that as well burning the blubber, your two-wheeled road rocket improves fitness and builds muscles. Muscle is heavy, muscle is good, so you may find you don’t always lose weight. The alternative diets involving denying your body the raw materials to burn fuel, and sitting around waiting for the weight to fall off, are a recipe for bad health, wind and halitosis. Skinny and unfit, does not equal healthy
    Just eat a healthy diet and go for the burn, few things look better than a lean mean pedalling machine.
    So take these words of wisdom from a man who is 40years of age, 100 kg in weight, doing 200+ a week and fit as a butcher’s dog.
    :eek:

  7. Pbwalther

    Pbwalther Guest

    >No offense, but you're dreaming. Your goal of losing 4 lbs
    >per week is unrealistic. It would require a daily deficit
    >of 2000 calories (1 lb of fat
    >= 3500 calories). That means you need to eat 2000 calories
    >= less than you
    >burn each day.

    >That is a nearly impossible rate of weight loss, and
    >potentially unhealthy because it's hard to get sufficient
    >vitamins and minerals. It's also hard to exercise with such
    >a large calorie deficit.

    >Most authorities recommend a much more modest rate of
    >weight loss - a deficit of 500 calories per day is
    >recommended and should result in about 1 lb per week of
    >weight loss.

    I agree with this. The lb per week notion is good because
    that anything greater entails a pretty drastic situation
    that can not be sustained.

    Now, it is possible to lose weight faster. I went on a 2
    week tour in the Rocky Mountains. It had a about 70 miles
    daily plus quite a bit of climbing. Plus it was a camping
    situation (at high schools and what not) but when you have
    to put up your tent and tear it down and walk to the showers
    and so on, you get in even more exercise. I figured I could
    lose some weight on the tour so I ate all the carbohydrates
    I could to replenish my glycogen for the next day and I
    avoided fats and ate a normal amount of protein. I was very
    surprised when I got home and discovered I had lost 10 lbs
    in 2 weeks and it all seemed to have been fat. But you can
    do that when you are on the bike oh 6 hours per day and
    active for another 3 hours or so. People did gain weight on
    the tour by eating massive cheese burgers, fries and
    sundaes. So it seems no matter how much you exercise, you
    can sabotage it by upping the intake.

  8. Garyg

    Garyg Guest

    "Pbwalther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >No offense, but you're dreaming. Your goal of losing 4
    > >lbs per week is unrealistic. It would require a daily
    > >deficit of 2000 calories (1 lb of
    fat
    > >= 3500 calories). That means you need to eat 2000
    > >= calories less than you
    > >burn each day.
    >
    > >That is a nearly impossible rate of weight loss, and
    > >potentially unhealthy because it's hard to get sufficient
    > >vitamins and minerals. It's also hard to exercise with
    > >such a large calorie deficit.
    >
    > >Most authorities recommend a much more modest rate of
    > >weight loss - a deficit of 500 calories per day is
    > >recommended and should result in about
    1
    > >lb per week of weight loss.
    >
    > I agree with this. The lb per week notion is good because
    > that anything greater entails a pretty drastic situation
    > that can not be sustained.
    >
    > Now, it is possible to lose weight faster. I went on a 2
    > week tour in the Rocky Mountains. It had a about 70 miles
    > daily plus quite a bit of
    climbing.
    > Plus it was a camping situation (at high schools and what
    > not) but when
    you
    > have to put up your tent and tear it down and walk to the
    > showers and so
    on,
    > you get in even more exercise. I figured I could lose some
    > weight on the
    tour
    > so I ate all the carbohydrates I could to replenish my
    > glycogen for the
    next
    > day and I avoided fats and ate a normal amount of protein.
    > I was very surprised when I got home and discovered I had
    > lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks and
    it
    > all seemed to have been fat. But you can do that when you
    > are on the bike
    oh 6
    > hours per day and active for another 3 hours or so. People
    > did gain
    weight on
    > the tour by eating massive cheese burgers, fries and
    > sundaes. So it seems
    no
    > matter how much you exercise, you can sabotage it by
    > upping the intake.

    Too true. Most exercise burns off a depressingly small
    number of calories With respect to weight loss, the diet
    component is generally more important than the exercise
    component (with some exceptions like your week-long bike
    tour). It's really easy, especially after exercise, to
    sabatoge a weight loss plan by chowing down on calorie
    dense foods.

    Once after a century ride I was too lazy to cook and went to
    Jack in the Box. I ordered a healthy-sounding Turkey Pannido
    sandwich, and a small chocolate shake. Later I got curious,
    and looked them up online...imagine my surprise when I found
    out I had consumed over 1400 calories (most of it fat
    calories)!

    GG

  9. Iguana

    Iguana Guest

    GaryG wrote:
    > "Daniel Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Well been 3 weeks now. Lost 8 pounds on week 1, 6 pounds
    >> on week 2 and 2 pounds last week. Loosing less and less
    >> will have to eat less and pedal more ;) But seriously
    >> first few weeks I know you loose a lot of water too, so
    >> that's most likelly normal. Now just gotta find a way to
    >> keep loosing 4 pounds per week and I will be happy.
    >
    > No offense, but you're dreaming. Your goal of losing 4 lbs
    > per week is unrealistic. It would require a daily deficit
    > of 2000 calories (1 lb of fat = 3500 calories). That means
    > you need to eat 2000 calories less than you burn each day.
    > That is a nearly impossible rate of weight loss, and
    > potentially unhealthy because it's hard to get sufficient
    > vitamins and minerals. It's also hard to exercise with
    > such a large calorie deficit.
    >
    > Most authorities recommend a much more modest rate of
    > weight loss - a deficit of 500 calories per day is
    > recommended and should result in about 1 lb per week of
    > weight loss. See
    > http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2002/102_fat.html for
    > more info on this.
    >
    > Keep up the bike riding, and aim for a modest, sustainable
    > rate of weight loss. You didn't gain all that weight in a
    > few months, and you won't lose it in a few months either.
    >
    > GG http://www.WeightWare.com Your Weight and Health Diary

    I agree with you, aiming for an unreachable goal makes
    quitting easier when the weight loss isn't being achieved.

    I am in the midst of losing weight. I found myself at 206lbs
    in March, and for my size, I should be more like 170lbs. So
    I set a goal to drop from 206 to 180lbs by 31 December, a
    very realisitc goal. To do so, I need only drop approx. 1/2
    lb per week.

    Seeing my recommended calorie intake was 2700, and that I
    was pumping in more like 3300 on a bad day, it was easy to
    knock off 500 calories a day from the recommended to set my
    goal at 2200; gave up a chocolate bar at night, dropped the
    Pepsi for diet Pepsi, and started eating more veggies
    instead of homemade fries.

    I also bike a fair amount, average about 1200-1500 calories
    burned per ride, say 3 times per week. The riding, however,
    isn't for weight loss, it's entertainment, with a good side
    effect that it also helps lose weight.

    So, my goal is to lose 1lb per week by adjusting my diet and
    calorie intake, and then if I lose another pound by biking,
    it's a bonus.

    So, since March 1, I've lost 24 pounds, roughly 1.5lbs
    per week( I do cheat, I don't count calories as carefully
    on weekends, have been known to indulge in a 'few' beers
    now and then, and still make homemade fries when I BBQ a
    good steak!)

    All in all, a realistic goal fairly easier to make, and
    without turning my passion of biking into a mandatory weight
    loss tool.

  10. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Daniel Crispin writes:
    >
    > This sounds hard to me. If yo don't like bicycling and
    > riding in the mountains, the exercise becomes just that
    > and wears on you. In the long run, riding a bicycle
    > because you love it is a durable hobby and it allows you
    > to eat well without counting calories.

    Unfortunatelly I am an Urban rider. There is a lot of nice
    trails around the island of Montreal, but only 1 small hill
    in the middle of the town... I would say a 500 feet climb or
    something like it. Maybe I should do that once a week. Last
    time I did it I was exausted at the top, it's a steep climb
    that goes for maybe 3 miles... or something like that.

    Anyways to loose weight you have to do both, only cycling
    would be too slow... I calculated it and it would take me 4
    times as long.

    > > I read a lot about those carbs. I decided to lower my
    > > intake of the ones that spike insulin production. Will
    > > be hard since I am a pasta and rice guy. Good thing is
    > > that I am not a potato guy, 95 on the glycemic index is
    > > insane ;)
    >
    > Ohhh, it sounds so unpleasant. Maybe you don't have nice
    > mountains, forest and seascapes for your rides, but riding
    > for the fun of it is more lasting and takes the drudgery
    > out of 'exercising'.
    >
    > > How about you guys that were doing the same?
    >
    > I don't.
    >
    > Jobst Brandt [email protected]

  11. "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Daniel Crispin wrote:
    >
    > > I read a lot about those carbs. I decided to lower my
    > > intake of the
    ones
    > > that spike insulin production. Will be hard since I am a
    > > pasta and rice guy.
    >
    > Well, don't cut out the carbs completely, especially from
    > your post-workout recovery meal. Recommended intake after
    > a hard workout is 70-100 gm of carbs and 20-25 gm of
    > protein. Skip the simple sugars, not the complex carbs.
    > --
    > terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

    I never take post workout meals as such ;) I just eat my
    normal meals. What do you eat after a workout? A protein
    shake? Or a real meal?

  12. "GaryG" <[email protected]_SPAMBEGONE_software.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Daniel Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Well been 3 weeks now. Lost 8 pounds on week 1, 6 pounds
    > > on week 2 and
    2
    > > pounds last week. Loosing less and less will have to eat
    > > less and pedal more ;) But
    > seriously
    > > first few weeks I know you loose a lot of water too, so
    > > that's most likelly normal. Now just gotta find a way to
    > > keep loosing 4 pounds per week and I will be happy.
    >
    > No offense, but you're dreaming. Your goal of losing 4 lbs
    > per week is unrealistic. It would require a daily deficit
    > of 2000 calories (1 lb of
    fat
    > = 3500 calories). That means you need to eat 2000 calories
    > = less than you
    > burn each day. That is a nearly impossible rate of weight
    > loss, and potentially unhealthy because it's hard to get
    > sufficient vitamins and minerals. It's also hard to
    > exercise with such a large calorie deficit.
    >
    > Most authorities recommend a much more modest rate of
    > weight loss - a deficit of 500 calories per day is
    > recommended and should result in about
    1
    > lb per week of weight loss. See
    > http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2002/102_fat.html for
    > more info on this.
    >
    > Keep up the bike riding, and aim for a modest, sustainable
    > rate of weight loss. You didn't gain all that weight in a
    > few months, and you won't lose it in a few months either.
    >
    > GG http://www.WeightWare.com Your Weight and Health Diary
    >

    > > I read a lot about those carbs. I decided to lower my
    > > intake of the
    ones
    > > that spike insulin production. Will be hard since I am a
    > > pasta and rice guy. Good thing is that I am not a potato
    > > guy, 95 on the glycemic index is insane ;)
    > >
    > > How about you guys that were doing the same?

    Well I did loose 8 pounds and 6 pounds on 2 consecutive
    weeks... I did not feel tired or sluggish either. My BMR is
    around 2700 now. If I cycle say 10 hours per week that is
    about 5000 calories right there. So 1.5 pound lost due to
    excercise. I eat around 2000 calories per day now. So that
    is a deficit of almost 1.5 pounds. So ok, 3 pounds per week.
    I know I will not be able to do that for ever because as I
    lose weight my BMR will lower. But still 3 pounds is 3 times
    what is supposedly recommanded.

    Once the first 50 pounds are off, I won't mind loosing at a
    slower rate. Right now I am doing all I can to burn the most
    I can. And as for vitamins, that is why supplements exist.

  13. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Daniel Crispin wrote:

    > I never take post workout meals as such ;) I just eat my
    > normal meals. What do you eat after a workout? A protein
    > shake? Or a real meal?

    I usually make myself a juice drink with protein right after
    a ride, then I'll have some pasta an hour or two later. I
    try to get at least 100 gm of carbs and 25 gm of protein
    from the two. If I don't get enough food within about 3
    hours after a ride, my legs feel sluggish the next day.

  14. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "GaryG" <[email protected]_SPAMBEGONE_software.com> wrote

    > Once after a century ride I was too lazy to cook and went
    > to Jack in the Box. I ordered a healthy-sounding Turkey
    > Pannido sandwich, and a small chocolate shake. Later I got
    > curious, and looked them up online...imagine my surprise
    > when I found out I had consumed over 1400 calories (most
    > of it fat calories)!

    There was a recent article in the local paper about how
    nutritionally bad the coffee shop drinks could be, and how
    unaware many customers were of this. They reported one drink
    at over 800 calories (majority fat), making it the
    equivalent of a double cheeseburger. Many of the pastries
    are in this range or even higher. From the amount of post-
    ride face stuffing I see, I'd have to guess that many rides
    result in a net caloric gain. Most of these riders seem to
    be of the belief that their riding allows them to eat
    anything. "Ride to eat" is a common outlook. It's not
    surprising that many of these are substantially overweight
    despite regular, vigorous exercise.

  15. On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 07:30:54 GMT, Matt Woodthorpe
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Well done on the weight loss, of course you have to
    >remember that as well burning the blubber, your two-wheeled
    >road rocket improves fitness and builds muscles. Muscle is
    >heavy, muscle is good, so you may find you don’t always
    >lose weight. The alternative diets involving denying your
    >body the raw materials to burn fuel, and sitting around
    >waiting for the weight to fall off, are a recipe for bad
    >health, wind and halitosis. Skinny and unfit, does not
    >equal healthy Just eat a healthy diet and go for the burn,
    >few things look better than a lean mean pedalling machine.
    >So take these words of wisdom from a man who is 40years of
    >age, 100 kg in weight, doing 200+ a week and fit as a
    >butcher’s dog. :eek:

    good points :)

    Michael J. Klein [email protected] Dasi Jen, Taoyuan
    Hsien, Taiwan, ROC Please replace mousepotato with
    asiancastings

  16. "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Daniel Crispin wrote:
    >
    > > I never take post workout meals as such ;) I just eat my
    > > normal meals. What do you eat after a workout? A protein
    > > shake? Or a real meal?
    >
    > I usually make myself a juice drink with protein right
    > after a ride, then I'll have some pasta an hour or two
    > later. I try to get at least 100 gm of carbs and 25 gm of
    > protein from the two. If I don't get enough food within
    > about 3 hours after a ride, my legs feel sluggish the
    > next day.
    > --
    > terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

    Probably why I always have leg pain unless I rest for 2 days
    after a hard ride.

    I will try it next week end, will get a bucket of protein
    powder and eat(drink) that after I am back home. 25 Grams is
    not that much when using powder. Not sure it's as good as a
    real meal like tuna, milk or anything high in protein
    though.... I always wonder about the ability of the body to
    metabolize those food supplements.