Cycling from Calgary to Princeton, BC

gaircity

Jan 3, 2011
Alright everyone, the time has come for my first big bike trip. I'm gonna be riding from Calgary, Alberta to Princeton, BC this summer, for fun as well as transport to a volunteer job that I have there, I'll be pulling a trailer, simply because I'm going to try and carry a majority of my food with me. I'm a strong 19 year old rugby player, and I am mentally tough enough to handle pretty well anything. The part that I need help with is the route planning. I'm totally comfortable riding on the shoulder of the Trans-Canada, but there are a few bits that concern me. The route from Sicamous to Kelowna is my main concern; along the lake there is simply a two lane highway with not a very large shoulder if memory serves me. I'm thinking about going further along the TCH towards Kamloops and heading south on a smaller highway, maybe at Campbell Creek. Has anyone got any experience either driving or riding that highway at all? I never have so I have no idea with respect to the traffic flow or shoulder conditions.
Other plans that I had:
- Average about 80km per day
- Finish the journey in 11-12 days
- Camping is preferable for accomodation
- Will either be riding an old, refurbished road bike or new-ish mountain bike with slicks on it. pros and cons for each?

I've looked for places on the TCH where biking is illegal, but I'm getting conflicting information. My conclusion is that from Canmore to Calgary on HWY-1 and between Lions Bay and Hope, also on the TCH. Can anyone back-up or refute these claims?

I'm gonna be training for this trip as much as I can. Do you think that my goals and expectations are realistic?

Any random advice that can be passed on from you to me would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Originally Posted by gaircity .
Other plans that I had:
- Average about 80km per day
- Finish the journey in 11-12 days
- Camping is preferable for accomodation
- Will either be riding an old, refurbished road bike or new-ish mountain bike with slicks on it. pros and cons for each?

I'm gonna be training for this trip as much as I can. Do you think that my goals and expectations are realistic?

Any random advice that can be passed on from you to me would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers
yes it sounds good, for pavement roads i would go with the refurbished road bike, rugby is cool but you need time on the saddle, you don't want blisters and saddle sores to ruin your journey,