Cycling from Copenhagen to Paris, via Amsterdam

shamust

Apr 15, 2011
G'day,
I'm considering a bicycle tour from July 5th, for 3-4 weeks. I have never been to Europe, nor done a bicycle tour of this length before, so I'm trying to keep these facts in mind while working out what might be feasible.

So in my fellow cycling members opinion, would it be possible to cycle from Copenhagen to Paris via Amsterdam in this length of time? I would certainly be willing to ride hard, from dawn till dusk type thing. I also figure that if it looks like I'm lagging, I could jump on a train to catch up. If not, what would be a more reasonable goal for this time frame?

And lastly, of course, if there is anyone also planning a cycling journey around this time or in this area, please shout out :).

Thanks guys,
Shamus

Okay I thought I might define some of the questions that I'm finding it difficult to find an answer to, in the hope of getting a response :).

1. Is the number of kilometres (1300) able to be done in the amount of time suggested (20-30 days)? This works out to 45-65 kilometres per day.

2. What sort of bike would be suitable? I plan on buying a bike in Copenhagen before the ride. I have been considering the Vanmoof No. 3 single speed.

3. Is it possible to ride simply carrying a backpack on your back, for this length of time? The backpack will weigh 10-15 kilograms.

All responses are certainly appreciated, as I am a genuine novice when it comes to bicycle touring.

Hi Shamus,

In my opinion the distance per day is easy, just make sure you have a comfortable saddle. I'd try and get a tourer bike with gears. Also, having a backpack isn't so nice, I'd carry items in panniers on the bike, I think it's better to let the bike do the work. Cycling in the Netherlands is amazing (but it's windy!) so it might make sense to do the trip in the opposite direction. Research likely wind directions. That distance against the wind will be tough.

Good luck, sounds like a great trip. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Originally Posted by shamust .

Okay I thought I might define some of the questions that I'm finding it difficult to find an answer to, in the hope of getting a response :).

1. Is the number of kilometres (1300) able to be done in the amount of time suggested (20-30 days)? This works out to 45-65 kilometres per day.

2. What sort of bike would be suitable? I plan on buying a bike in Copenhagen before the ride. I have been considering the Vanmoof No. 3 single speed.

3. Is it possible to ride simply carrying a backpack on your back, for this length of time? The backpack will weigh 10-15 kilograms.

All responses are certainly appreciated, as I am a genuine novice when it comes to bicycle touring.
Originally Posted by swordbeach .

Hi Shamus,

In my opinion the distance per day is easy, just make sure you have a comfortable saddle. I'd try and get a tourer bike with gears. Also, having a backpack isn't so nice, I'd carry items in panniers on the bike, I think it's better to let the bike do the work. Cycling in the Netherlands is amazing (but it's windy!) so it might make sense to do the trip in the opposite direction. Research likely wind directions. That distance against the wind will be tough.

Good luck, sounds like a great trip. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif
I agree with swordbeach.

A. 1,300 KM would be easy (depending on the incline, weather and terrain. It works out at around 780 miles in total.

A. A touring bike is the best bet, as swordbeach has said. Get panniers so your weight of luggage isn't on your back.

A. Having 10KG on your back for 30 days would be a nightmare. Get a couple of panniers as suggested and let your bike handle your baggage. :)

Originally Posted by shamust .

G'day,
I'm considering a bicycle tour from July 5th, for 3-4 weeks. I have never been to Europe, nor done a bicycle tour of this length before, so I'm trying to keep these facts in mind while working out what might be feasible.

So in my fellow cycling members opinion, would it be possible to cycle from Copenhagen to Paris via Amsterdam in this length of time? I would certainly be willing to ride hard, from dawn till dusk type thing. I also figure that if it looks like I'm lagging, I could jump on a train to catch up. If not, what would be a more reasonable goal for this time frame?

And lastly, of course, if there is anyone also planning a cycling journey around this time or in this area, please shout out :).

Thanks guys,
Shamus
The advice given has been good.

You'll have no difficulty accessing public transport to complete the route if the distance becomes too much.
But let's try to be positive. You want this adventure to be achieved without too much stress and strain.

I think selecting a given distance per day and pedalling that distance at a leisurely speed is the way to go.
However if you're going to do 60kms per day at 10 kms per hour, you will need to ensure that you have a good setup (body position on the bike) because sitting there for that amount of time
day after day requires a good setup.

I would try to hire/purchase a bike that has plenty of gears that you can select from also. You don't want to find yourself having to get off the bike and walking if you cannot climb a steep gradient.

Also I think you need to try to get some training in BEFORE starting your adventure. It will help you to acclimatise yourself and your body to cycling.

best of luck and keep us posted as to how you get on!

For most of your tour, you can choose for staying with the local hosts of 'Vrienden op de Fiets'. A solo cyclists pays only 19 euro a night. The number of families in Denmark and France is limited but in the Netherlands, Belgium and the northwest part of Germany, there are plenty of them. To have an idea about their presence in the regions that you will be touring, check these maps:
'Vrienden op de Fiets' in Germany and Denmark
'Vrienden op de Fiets' in the Netherlands
'Vrienden op de Fiets' in Belgium and Luxembourg
'Vrienden op de Fiets' in France