Cycling from Edinburgh to York (need advice)

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by juanjaime, Sep 28, 2007.

1. juanjaime

juanjaime New Member

Hey guys I'm planning to cycle from Uni. of Edinburgh to Uni. of York, anywhere I can look up a nice route (preferable without a lot of heavy traffic), and anything I should be aware of?

Thanks,
    juanjaime

Tags:

2. fastcat

fastcat New Member

What I use for route planning is a software package of an OS Road Map - about £20 from Anquet, which is excellent for route planning, Covers the whole of the UK at 1:250,000 scale. Can zoom in and out and plan routes and measure distances easily. (A normal road atlas from any garage will do also of course.)

Here's a thought:
    Edinburgh
    Lasswade
    Innerleithen
    Hawick
    Kielder forest
    Hexham
    Stanhope
    Barnard Castle
    Richmond
    Ripon
    Boroughbridge
    York

You can join most of these places with B or lesser roads. But, lots of alternatives and some great countryside available in the shape of the borders and Yorkshire dales.

Ken

3. juanjaime

juanjaime New Member

I've decided to shorten the route a bit, take a train down to Newcastle and start biking from there, and split the journey into 3 days.
    It should be a lot safer, easier and I can enjoy the scenary as a first timer.
    I am thinking of taking the Three Rivers Route from Newcastle to Middlesbrough and then the White Rose Route from Middlesbrough to York.
    How many hours you think it would take me on a all purpose bike (not road bike).

Thanks for all the help, I just can't wait to get everything planned out and start my virgin bike trip!

James

4. threaded

threaded New Member

Avoid the pub, Richard III, or you'll never make it to the University, and it's real annoying to fail at the last hurdle. A friend often had that problem. ;)

It might be an idea to contact the York Uni cycling club in advance to get a keycard for their bike sheds if you're planning on staying at the uni for any length of time.