Cycling from Ireland to Rome. Help!!!

Niamhie

Aug 29, 2013
Hi guys, I'm a complete noob to cycling and I've decided to undertake a massive challenge next year for charity. It's called home to Rome. We will cycle from our homes on Ireland all the way to Rome!! About 2000 km in 2 weeks! It's a huge challenge! I really know very little about bikes. . . It will be on road, fair bit of uphill, no need to carry bags or tents. I'm really at a loss as to what bikes I should be looking at.... Any suggestions or advice you could share with me would be hugely appreciated!! Thanks all! Niamhie :)

although not impossible it is highly unlikely that a novice cyclist could cover 145 kilometers every day for 14 days and enjoy it in the process, you should add 1 more week and you should start training as soon as possible ! if it is a supported tour where you don't need to carry anything on your bike, then you should buy the best road bike that your budget can allow you,

Yes it's supported, thankfully! I'm pretty doubtful myself... Up mountains!! I can barely get up a hill. Adding an additional week isn't an option unfortunately. I guess it'll be a very painful learning curve. Any tips for training?

tips for training, give priority to volumen, days off should be less than days training in your weekly plan, buy an indoor trainer for late autumn and winter and early spring training, keep in mind that cycling long distances can be painful on your body, arms, back, saddle sores. The only way to avoid that is to train on your bike all the time until you get used to it, of course we are assuming that you are getting a correct bike fit before you start this project,