Cycling from Milano to Hamburg

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Shige, Jun 1, 2003.

  1. Shige

    Shige Guest

    Hi,

    I am planning a bicycle tour from Milano to Hamburg (To any cities in Germany) this July,
    August, September. Would anyone give me some websites with information or some books available
    on the internet?

    From some maps, there seems no way entering Switzerland without tunnel. Is it true? As I carry
    heavy camping stuff and clothing, I would like to avoid longer tunnels.

    I'll appreciate any info.

    Shige :)

    Tags:

  2. Jacques

    Jacques Guest

    There are many ways to cross the Alps in Switzerland without using a long tunnel, but as you carry
    heavy equipment be prepared to sweat. You don't even have a choice on this issue as most if not all
    of these tunnels are motorways and therefore forbidden to bicycles.

    The alpine passes of interest are between 2000 and 2400 m high, and these roads are usually quite
    crowded on nice summer days. The main way for car is the Gotthard tunnel; the motorway on the south
    and north sides of the pass is in a state of perpetual traffic jam. You can take the secondary road
    that along that motorway: it will have less traffic but what you will inhale will not be that
    pleasant. Other routes suffer less trafic but you will have to share the road with everybody else. A
    good compromise between elevation and traffic could be the Lukmanier (or Lucomagno) - but it is an
    assumption, not based on experience.

    If what I'm saying is too discouraging, you can easily put your bike on the train through the
    Simplon tunnel (Domodossola to Brig) or the Gotthard tunnel (Airolo to Göschenen).

    Good luck. What route do you plan through Switzerland ?

    Jacques

    http://www.suisse-a-velo.ch http://int.myswitzerland.com/en/welcome.cfm
    http://www-math.science.unitn.it/Bike/ http://www-math.science.unitn.it/Bike/Countries/Switzerland/

    > From some maps, there seems no way entering Switzerland without tunnel. Is it true? As I carry
    > heavy camping stuff and clothing, I would like to avoid longer tunnels.

    The G.S.Bernard pass has no long tunnels. So does the Simplon pass. Otherwise via
    Pontresina/St.Moritz, but there I have no experience.

    Ciao,
    --
    Roberto Divia` Love at first sight is one of the greatest
    ============= labour-saving devices the world has ever seen.