Cycling from the UK to Romania

--
Frank
[email protected]
Drop DACKS to reply
"Pinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:s%O%[email protected]...

> "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> <snip><snip>
> >>
> >> Thanks once again for the advice, all appreciated, and keep it coming
> >> if you have more ideas...

> > Apart from a short stretch between Heilbronn and Donauworth you can
> > virtually travel from Luxembourg to the Black Sea along rivers (Mosel,
> > Rhein, Donau). Look at www.esterbauer.com for guidebooks with detailed
> > mapping that will take you the whole way. Unfortunately only in German

(I
> > have seen English versions of some of their books but can't find any on
> > the
> > website).
> > --
> > Michael MacClancy

> The Donau Radweg series had 3 books
> 1 Donaueschingen to Passau ( all in Germany -- and only in German)
> 2 . Passau to Wien ( all in Austria -- available in English )
> 3. Wien to Budapest ( mainly in Hungary -- only in German)
>
> But
>
> Book 4 -- Budapest to the Black Sea is due for release in May this year
>
> If you can read a bit of German it is helpful but even without any, the
> strip style maps are very good. They take a bit of getting used to since

the
> cycle route is highlighted all the time and major roads ( even motorways)
> are less obvious.. There is a huge amount of information in them --
> especially accommodations! They are available from Stanford's who are a

lot
> more reliable for quick delivery than are Amazon!
>
> The Rhein Radweg is in 3 books -- all in German, You wouldn't need book 1,
> since that is just in Switzerland but books 2 and 3 run from Basel to
> Rotterdam ( or the other way round if you start at the back!)
> You can get the Mosel Cycle way from Stanford's as well and it is

available
> in English and will guide you from Luxembourg to Koblenz
>
> The whole of the Mosel, Rhein and Danube is very easy cycling the only

hilly
> bit is going into the Swarzwald ( Black Forest ) going from the Rhein to
> the Danube which can be a bit of hard work but there is a route round that
> to a certain extent
>
> --
> Trevor A Panther
> In South Yorkshire,
> England, United Kingdom.

I did most of the Rhein Radweg last year. Started with no map but found all
three along the way, in English, at train stations (can't remember which
ones). One tip if you use the Radweg maps - there are a LOT of different
cycleways; don't get them confused! I did and ended up in some interesting
places, but I was in no hurry - it was fun getting directionally challenged
occasionally :)

Can't see the point of enjoying the simplicity of cycling and introducing
the complexity of a GPS though. I reckon a cycle computer is enough and
gives you less distraction so you can smell the roses (or wineries along the
Rhein!).

All up I spent two months in Europe ( I live in Western Australia) last
year. A few days in Salzburg and Venice, 3 weeks cycling around Tuscany
before heading up to Munich to do the Rhein. I had two panniers (Deuter Rak
Pak II), a sleeping mat and bag and a Camelbak Blowfish. Plenty to carry
clothes, small gas stove, cooking gear and enough food to last me till the
next town.

I used an old cromoly GT mtb frame (Karakoram) with suspension forks.
Cromoly because it's eay to weld if it breaks and the frame looks crappy but
is very good and quite light - perfect for leaving around the place. 1.25"
IRC slick on the back and a Conti Town and Country on the front. 3 flats the
whole way. I have wrist problems, so Azonic riser bars and Ergon grips gave
me ~ 1800 km of pain-free riding. A suspension seatpost, Time ATAC pedals
and Specialized Avatar saddle were confy too.

I averaged ~100km per day when riding. Some days down to 30km coz something
interesting distracted me, some days up to 150km coz I was on a roll. No
rush, no fuss. Hills (some good ones in Italy!) were easy with the mtb as
long as I kept telling myself I had all day and just kept spinning.
Originally I set distance targets but after a couple of days missing seeing
stuff to keep to my target I gave up and enjoyed being in interesting
places. I figured if I ran out of time I could always catch a train. Much
nicer than stressing over distance.

Spares and tools? Not much - two spare spokes, Crank Bros multi tool, two
spare tubes and patch kit (with levers), spare set of brake pads, two quick
links and a short section of chain, Pedros Ice Wax chain lube and one each
brake and gear cable. I used blue Loktite on all bolts when I set up the
bike, so no need for spares. Even small villages have a bike shop, so help
is always near - don't over prepare and carry more weight than you need.

Keep it simple and enjoy!

Cheers,

Frank

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 07:44:50 +0800, "Plodder"
<[email protected] (remove DAKS to reply)> wrote:

>I did most of the Rhein Radweg last year. Started with no map but found all
>three along the way, in English, at train stations (can't remember which
>ones). One tip if you use the Radweg maps - there are a LOT of different
>cycleways; don't get them confused! I did and ended up in some interesting
>places, but I was in no hurry - it was fun getting directionally challenged
>occasionally :)
>
>Can't see the point of enjoying the simplicity of cycling and introducing
>the complexity of a GPS though. I reckon a cycle computer is enough and
>gives you less distraction so you can smell the roses (or wineries along the
>Rhein!).
>
>All up I spent two months in Europe ( I live in Western Australia) last
>year. A few days in Salzburg and Venice, 3 weeks cycling around Tuscany
>before heading up to Munich to do the Rhein. I had two panniers (Deuter Rak
>Pak II), a sleeping mat and bag and a Camelbak Blowfish. Plenty to carry
>clothes, small gas stove, cooking gear and enough food to last me till the
>next town.
>
>I used an old cromoly GT mtb frame (Karakoram) with suspension forks.
>Cromoly because it's eay to weld if it breaks and the frame looks crappy but
>is very good and quite light - perfect for leaving around the place. 1.25"
>IRC slick on the back and a Conti Town and Country on the front. 3 flats the
>whole way. I have wrist problems, so Azonic riser bars and Ergon grips gave
>me ~ 1800 km of pain-free riding. A suspension seatpost, Time ATAC pedals
>and Specialized Avatar saddle were confy too.
>
>I averaged ~100km per day when riding. Some days down to 30km coz something
>interesting distracted me, some days up to 150km coz I was on a roll. No
>rush, no fuss. Hills (some good ones in Italy!) were easy with the mtb as
>long as I kept telling myself I had all day and just kept spinning.
>Originally I set distance targets but after a couple of days missing seeing
>stuff to keep to my target I gave up and enjoyed being in interesting
>places. I figured if I ran out of time I could always catch a train. Much
>nicer than stressing over distance.
>
>Spares and tools? Not much - two spare spokes, Crank Bros multi tool, two
>spare tubes and patch kit (with levers), spare set of brake pads, two quick
>links and a short section of chain, Pedros Ice Wax chain lube and one each
>brake and gear cable. I used blue Loktite on all bolts when I set up the
>bike, so no need for spares. Even small villages have a bike shop, so help
>is always near - don't over prepare and carry more weight than you need.
>
>Keep it simple and enjoy!
>
>Cheers,
>
>Frank

It's sometimes great when stuff gets cross-posted to other newsgroups,
especially if they're relevant ones.

I'm reading and replying from rec.travel.europe, and it's brilliant to
hear of someone who's thoroughly enjoyed themselves and taken things
day by day.

Excellent and cheerful post. Thank you!

Keith, Bristol, UK

Email: usenet[dot]20[dot]keefy[at]spamgourmet[dot]com

This is a sp*mtrap, but I will get your mail!

On 14 Apr 2006, "Bill-Dorset-UK" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Thanks for all the great ideas. I've clearly a lot to consider!
>
>I have pencilled-in the 21st July to the 25th August as a time-frame to
>complete it in. I was thinking of June, which would have been
>preferrable in terms of the weather (a little cooler) and traffic
>(Europe won't be on holiday).

And June will give you even more daylight.

Don <www.donwiss.com/joyrides> (e-mail link at page bottom).