cycling gaiters

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tim, Aug 1, 2003.

  1. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Chaps & Chappesess,

    Any idea where I can get gaiters that cover my shoes and socks for rain (like the walking ones,
    only cover more). I don't mean neo-overshoes, something goretex that covers all of your foot
    would be great.

    Thanks

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Tim wrote:

    > Any idea where I can get gaiters that cover my shoes and socks for rain (like the walking ones,
    > only cover more). I don't mean neo-overshoes, something goretex that covers all of your foot would
    > be great.

    You might try overgaiters like Berghaus Yeti Gaiters or Extremeties Terragaiters. They have a
    tendency to pop off the toes, and would be a bit oversized for a typical cycle shoe, but OTOH might
    do what you want.

    Mind you, a typical overshoe will do the same job, just not go so far up your leg. But they'll go
    far enough up to meet a pair of overtrousers

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Tim wrote:
    >
    >> Any idea where I can get gaiters that cover my shoes and socks for rain (like the walking ones,
    >> only cover more). I don't mean neo-overshoes, something goretex that covers all of your foot
    >> would be great.
    >
    >You might try overgaiters like Berghaus Yeti Gaiters or Extremeties Terragaiters. They have a
    >tendency to pop off the toes, and would be a bit oversized for a typical cycle shoe, but OTOH might
    >do what you want.

    Spats are what is required here.

    Eager Clothing sell them (ISTR the got a good review in the CTC rag) both calf length and
    over the knee

    No web, tel/fax 01686 640873

    The CTC shop also have them as well (different make) though Icouldn't get any sense out of the
    website, according to it most of the product categories haven't got any products.......

    In this moths magazine ad though.
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > Any idea where I can get gaiters that cover my shoes and socks for rain

    www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm - clothing - overshoes - spats

    ~PB

  5. The Mark

    The Mark Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:
    > Tim wrote:
    >
    >> Any idea where I can get gaiters that cover my shoes and socks for rain (like the walking ones,
    >> only cover more). I don't mean neo-overshoes, something goretex that covers all of your foot
    >> would be great.
    >
    > You might try overgaiters like Berghaus Yeti Gaiters or Extremeties Terragaiters. They have a
    > tendency to pop off the toes, and would be a bit oversized for a typical cycle shoe, but OTOH
    > might do what you want.
    >
    > Mind you, a typical overshoe will do the same job, just not go so far up your leg. But they'll go
    > far enough up to meet a pair of overtrousers
    >
    > Pete.

    The gaiters idea sounded quite good so I ran up stairs to get my Yetis. They fit fine over my
    Cannondale mountain bike shoes and I don't think they'll slip off the toes.

    The only problem I've had with the gaiters is when on long walks they hold a lot of sweat so I only
    ever use them when I go up the mountains in winter.

    I'll just have to wait until Coldrain to try them out. :)
    --
    Mark Road bike, Mountain bike and I'm getting something special built for me (I hope it will
    arrive soon).