cycling / general fitness

ebola

Jul 22, 2003
Anyone here have opinions on the value of cycling for general fitness - i.e. vs other forms of excercies ?

In my experience: although it's brought me many benefits & is a good new hobby I actually miss my old routine now.
I used to walk to work & do a few pressups/pullups etc - until an office move that increased the distance from 3.5 to 9 miles.

This morning walking my bike along after getting a flat tire I reached a peak speed of 5.7mph. This perhaps explains why I dont think I'm getting the same overall benefit as when I walked to work; it also left me with much more energy for pressups in the evening.

Recently I've added other mixed aerobic gym activities, ( and discovered the injury potential of running the hard way, so I have to do this in moderation ). In trying to maintain my previous composition I give the impression of having suddenly become fanatically addicted to excercise.

An option I am considering is to simply jump off the bike and wheel it up hills, then i'd get the best of both worlds. It does sound a bit eccentric though doesn't it !

I have to admit in terms of general fitness it might actually be better to just drive like any 'normal' person and save my time & energy for the gym.. although I suppose as on the plus side as a cyclist (i) I have the satisfaction of doing my bit to combat pollution, and (ii) save money vs running a car (iii) one is more likely to stick to routine commuting long term (iv) it can give me some of the raised H.R. benefits of running without the injury risk.

Originally posted by ebola
Anyone here have opinions on the value of cycling for general fitness - i.e. vs other forms of excercies ?

In my experience: although it's brought me many benefits & is a good new hobby I actually miss my old routine now.
I used to walk to work & do a few pressups/pullups etc - until an office move that increased the distance from 3.5 to 9 miles.

This morning walking my bike along after getting a flat tire I reached a peak speed of 5.7mph. This perhaps explains why I dont think I'm getting the same overall benefit as when I walked to work; it also left me with much more energy for pressups in the evening.

Recently I've added other mixed aerobic gym activities, ( and discovered the injury potential of running the hard way, so I have to do this in moderation ). In trying to maintain my previous composition I give the impression of having suddenly become fanatically addicted to excercise.

An option I am considering is to simply jump off the bike and wheel it up hills, then i'd get the best of both worlds. It does sound a bit eccentric though doesn't it !

I have to admit in terms of general fitness it might actually be better to just drive like any 'normal' person and save my time & energy for the gym.. although I suppose as on the plus side as a cyclist (i) I have the satisfaction of doing my bit to combat pollution, and (ii) save money vs running a car (iii) one is more likely to stick to routine commuting long term (iv) it can give me some of the raised H.R. benefits of running without the injury risk.

ebola,
It may certainly be true that you were expending more energy walking the 3.5 miles compared to riding the 9 miles but for you to suggest the alternative of driving in to work because 9 miles isn't enough exercise sounds ridiculous! Besides, being 'normal' is way overrated.

Perhaps i am missing something but why can't you both ride to and from work (and therefore get all the benefits you mention) as well as go to the gym?? If you dont have enough energy for both then you're not eating right. Any exercise will be good for 'general' fitness so the more you are able to do of anything the better.

Originally posted by ebola

Don't walk up the hills! Stay on the bike, choose a higher gear & sprint up them!* I recommend this for increasing your heart rate & overall fitness. You could even take a longer route to work & get more exercise that way.
Ride faster, Ride further, Enjoy, Repeat. ;)

*Warning, do this at your own risk. I'm neither a doctor or gym instructor nor do I play one on TV.

If you wish to increase your workout period on your commute, add a little variety by changing the route you take to and from work and increase the distance traveled from 9 miles to ???

I think it is a great add in and booster. It really depends upon desired results. The concentration is on the legs which the more you do with the legs the more the rest of the body will loose. I think if a person needs to loose weight and has a big stomach this should not be the first form of exercise. It won't really get rid of that like; walking, jogging, running, and jumping rope. This is the way to loose the tummy. Adding biking after that stomach has flattened out is a good idea because then you can fine tune the legs especially. The arms will trim down more with biking but in order to really work on those of core you will need to get into something that focuses on that.
Biking though overall is a great exercise whatever level of fitness. It is good to understand what it does though and what areas it hits. Bikers in great shape have already got their body to where they want it. They are in an effortless point. You want to trim down before you get into the long mileage on a bike and even before you jog or run too.