Cycling Germany : any hints or tips?

I'm going to Germany on Wednesday for the fourth time. It's not as pretty as Ireland where I live
but it's different and has superb cycling facilities, good hotels etc. and nice food, and good
night-life.

There are loads of long-distance cycle paths.

I've done the Nahe Valley, the Rhine from Koblenz to Mannheim, the Neckar from there to Stuttgart,
the Mosel from Trier to Koblenz, the Lahn from Koblenz to its source, the Romantic Road and into
Austria to Bodensee and then along the Alps to Berchtesgaden. It was all worthwhile.

Walter Mitty wrote:

> I'm going off on a tour for July.
>
> Anyone got a good route in Germany for 4 weeks cycle camping?
>
> This great web site gives me some ideas, but any one elses comments valued.
>
> http://www.germany-tourism.de/biking/radfahren_interaktive_karte.html#

That didn't last long. I get a 404 at that URL.

Anyway, I agree with Gearóid - - - the river trails. A cycle tourist never had it so good.

What parts of Germany do you want to see? There is bound to be a river trail that runs through it.
Link some together. Don't like where you happen to be - want to get somewhere else fast? Get on a
train. The German rail system is the most bike friendly I've seen.

I've cycled the Danube - the Altmuhl - a wee bit of the Romatisches Strasse and in and around the
Olden Wald - near Nekar.

I would recommend any and all of the Danube river trail - and the Altmuhl. The Romantic Road is
another easy, beautiful ride.

You may like mountains, though. In that case - southern Bavaria.

Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Tolerance is recognizing that other people
have different ideals and needs than you. Compromise is acting on that knowledge.

"Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive wit
when in news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

> I'm going to Germany on Wednesday for the fourth time. It's not as pretty as Ireland where I live
> but it's different and has superb cycling facilities, good hotels etc. and nice food, and good
> night-life.
>
> There are loads of long-distance cycle paths.
>
> I've done the Nahe Valley, the Rhine from Koblenz to Mannheim, the Neckar from there to Stuttgart,
> the Mosel from Trier to Koblenz, the Lahn from Koblenz to its source, the Romantic Road and into
> Austria to Bodensee and then along the Alps to Berchtesgaden. It was all worthwhile.

I cycled the entire Irish coastline ... stunning. Did you ever stay in polatomis (spelling?) in
Mayo? Great hostel, great place.

--
Walter Mitty.

"Chuck Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> > http://www.germany-tourism.de/biking/radfahren_interaktive_karte.html#

> That didn't last long. I get a 404 at that URL.

Chuck, give it another try, it's working again.

Regarding that site - I'm impressed! Somebody really put some effort into it!

Walter,

I'm originally from a little town in the middle of the Muensterland (Route
32)

and can highly recommend that area. Just about flat with the odd little hill

thrown in here and there, lots of small rivers, lakes, man-made cannels. Cycling

is BIG in that area, although more on a 'local market' basis. Especially on

week-ends you'll find lots and lots of families going for a ride and frequent

what we know as "Gasthaus" for a coffee or hot chocolate and a piece of cake.

Have to admit if it's rainy is can become boring/depressiving but then you can

jump on a train as Chuck suggested and go elsewhere.

On a German scale, the area is still 'backcountry'.

Tom

currently Botswana, Africa

http://www.bicycletraveller.de

Thomas Schleicher wrote:

> "Chuck Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > > http://www.germany-tourism.de/biking/radfahren_interaktive_karte.html#
>
> > That didn't last long. I get a 404 at that URL.
>
> Chuck, give it another try, it's working again.

Hi Tom. It was good to see your note the other day on your whereabouts. Congratulations on your
good fortune.

I still get a 404 on that URL. I wonder if it's taken down at certain times?

Oh, ... now I get it. I'm surprised. German "engineering" is usually more thorough. That map only
works in IE (not Netscape 4.7 or Netscape 7 or Mozilla).