cycling Germany...

Velonut

Guest
Cycled across Germany in 2001. Found everything to be vastly more economical in the former GDR. That
included campgrounds and particularly B&B's. In fact, things were so cheap I quite camping and
stayed in B&B's.

Immediately upojn re-entering What used to be west GY everything became three times more expensive.
another problem I had in 2001 was with my Master Card. Since it was issued here in the US and did
not have an <E> on the front, no one would take it. I was forced to use my check card and get money
out of ATM's. That turned out to be a very good measure. Worked fine in both Austria, GY & France. I
was able to get small emounts of local currency at the official rate. Have not been in Europe since
the introduction of the Euro so I cannot comment on that currency.

IRT language, I spent a lot of time in the former GDR and ran into numerous folks who not only spoke
no English but said I was the first Yank they had ever met. The lesson is - if going into the former
GDR, learn some German or take along a small pocket translator.

IRT credit cards, I recommend you take at least two (2) credit cards (1 Visa & 1 Master card) and
maybe even a debit card.

I am planning a big ride across Europe this summer. Starting in Frankfurt, going southeast along the
Main & Tauber rivers to the Danube. Down the Danube into Austria and then turn north into the Czech
Republic passing thru Prague and continuing on towards Dresden. From Dresden I plan on riding the
Elbe downstream to Hamburg and then turn south to return to Frankfurt.

The trip will be interrupted for a short stretch to motor down to France to see a couple of stages
of the Tour de France.

Dale Lally Pompano Beach FL [email protected] Regards from the Velo Nut

Dale V Lally Jr W0OWF Pompano Beach FL [email protected]

[email protected] (VeloNut) wrote:

> I was forced to use my check card and get money out of ATM's. That turned out to be a very good
> measure.

Bank machines in Europe have no letters. If your PIN includes letters (mine does) figure out the
number sequence before you go. It took me 4 tries to figure mine out over there, and i saw others
with the same problem.

>I am planning a big ride across Europe this summer. Starting in Frankfurt, going southeast along
>the Main & Tauber rivers to the Danube. Down the Danube into Austria and then turn north into the
>Czech Republic passing thru Prague and continuing on towards Dresden. From Dresden I plan on riding
>the Elbe downstream to Hamburg and then turn south to return to Frankfurt.

Dale, I have photos and a trip report covering some of the same territory at
http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown/austria1.htm

Ken Ken Brown, Toronto Canada Ontario Rail Trails: http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown delete "nospam"
if replying via e-mail

What maps did you use and where did you obtain them? You are right about the former GDR, many people
only learned Russian. I lived in East Berlin for over 18 years and studied Russian for 10 years or
so. Glad the wall is all over now. Now I live in the U.S. and had to learn English from the
beginning when I came over here.

Jürgen