cycling Germany...

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Velonut, May 27, 2003.

  1. Velonut

    Velonut Guest

    Cycled across Germany in 2001. Found everything to be vastly more economical in the former GDR. That
    included campgrounds and particularly B&B's. In fact, things were so cheap I quite camping and
    stayed in B&B's.

    Immediately upojn re-entering What used to be west GY everything became three times more expensive.
    another problem I had in 2001 was with my Master Card. Since it was issued here in the US and did
    not have an <E> on the front, no one would take it. I was forced to use my check card and get money
    out of ATM's. That turned out to be a very good measure. Worked fine in both Austria, GY & France. I
    was able to get small emounts of local currency at the official rate. Have not been in Europe since
    the introduction of the Euro so I cannot comment on that currency.

    IRT language, I spent a lot of time in the former GDR and ran into numerous folks who not only spoke
    no English but said I was the first Yank they had ever met. The lesson is - if going into the former
    GDR, learn some German or take along a small pocket translator.

    IRT credit cards, I recommend you take at least two (2) credit cards (1 Visa & 1 Master card) and
    maybe even a debit card.

    I am planning a big ride across Europe this summer. Starting in Frankfurt, going southeast along the
    Main & Tauber rivers to the Danube. Down the Danube into Austria and then turn north into the Czech
    Republic passing thru Prague and continuing on towards Dresden. From Dresden I plan on riding the
    Elbe downstream to Hamburg and then turn south to return to Frankfurt.

    The trip will be interrupted for a short stretch to motor down to France to see a couple of stages
    of the Tour de France.

    Dale Lally Pompano Beach FL [email protected] Regards from the Velo Nut

    Dale V Lally Jr W0OWF Pompano Beach FL [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Ken Brown

    Ken Brown Guest

    [email protected] (VeloNut) wrote:

    > I was forced to use my check card and get money out of ATM's. That turned out to be a very good
    > measure.

    Bank machines in Europe have no letters. If your PIN includes letters (mine does) figure out the
    number sequence before you go. It took me 4 tries to figure mine out over there, and i saw others
    with the same problem.

    >I am planning a big ride across Europe this summer. Starting in Frankfurt, going southeast along
    >the Main & Tauber rivers to the Danube. Down the Danube into Austria and then turn north into the
    >Czech Republic passing thru Prague and continuing on towards Dresden. From Dresden I plan on riding
    >the Elbe downstream to Hamburg and then turn south to return to Frankfurt.

    Dale, I have photos and a trip report covering some of the same territory at
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown/austria1.htm

    Ken Ken Brown, Toronto Canada Ontario Rail Trails: http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown delete "nospam"
    if replying via e-mail

  3. What maps did you use and where did you obtain them? You are right about the former GDR, many people
    only learned Russian. I lived in East Berlin for over 18 years and studied Russian for 10 years or
    so. Glad the wall is all over now. Now I live in the U.S. and had to learn English from the
    beginning when I came over here.

    Jürgen