cycling glasses recommendation

zaku

Jun 23, 2004
any recommendation for a good one?

since i wear normal glasses (and i hate contact lenses) i'd like to know if there are any cycling glasses with prescription?

zaku said:

since i wear normal glasses (and i hate contact lenses) i'd like to know if there are any cycling glasses with prescription?
Rudy Project has polycarbonate lenses, wrap around styling, air holes and interchangeable lenses, and some styles are available with a prescription insert and photochromatic lenses, or Rudy Project now has interchangeable direct in prescription lenses without using the traditional insert. Bolle, Smith, Hilco and Wiley-X make frames with wrap around styling and interchangeable lenses and prescriptions are available with some styles. For a shield design without an insert, try Kaenon Polarized or Rudy Project. Julbo also makes style with side shields for wind protection or just extreme wraps and most are available with prescription.

I wear Rudy Kerosene glasses, but it's really a matter of personal preference.

As for prescription lenses, mine are prescription lenses, not inserts. Sports Optical, in the Denver area, can make prescription lenses to directly replace the non-prescription lenses in many cycling shades, as well as other types of sunglasses. I have three different pairs of lenses (clear, rose, and dark gray), and optically their excellent.

Rudy Projects are the way to go... Many of their models are adaptive to RX lenses. Personally, I have three different sets... Rydon, Syluro, and Ekynox. The one problem that I have with them is that they were not designed for everyday wear.
zaku said:

Rudy Projects are the way to go..... many choices specifically with prescriptions in mind.
zaku said:

zaku said:

Oakley

lohsnest said:
Rudy Projects are the way to go... Many of their models are adaptive to RX lenses. Personally, I have three different sets... Rydon, Syluro, and Ekynox. The one problem that I have with them is that they were not designed for everyday wear.
Why not for everyday wear? I have had a set of Rydon's now for about 3 years with RX inserts and use them every day regardless of if I am out riding or not.

jcjordan said:
Why not for everyday wear? I have had a set of Rydon's now for about 3 years with RX inserts and use them every day regardless of if I am out riding or not.
Inserts tend to mess up your peripheral vision. Okay for cycling where you are looking mainly straight ahead, but I don't enjoy wearing them for anything else (okay for driving also I guess).

I use Rudy Project Kalyos with prescription inserts, not lenses. One benefit of inserts is that you can change the lens colours to suit the light conditions.

They look kinda funny...it's sort of like wearing ski goggles while swimming...different application and design. I'm not saying that you can't wear them, just that some of their designs will look awkward if being used in any other application other than bicycling.

jcjordan said:

thank you guys.
i've been looking into rudy project as many of you guys suggested but didn't really find a style that like..

about the prescription inserts, is it only specific to rudy project? i like the oakley's styles though but don't know if they can accept the inserts too?

zaku said:
thank you guys.
i've been looking into rudy project as many of you guys suggested but didn't really find a style that like..

about the prescription inserts, is it only specific to rudy project? i like the oakley's styles though but don't know if they can accept the inserts too?

By inserts, do you mean the inserts that are in a separate, small frame that clips onto the main frame, behind the non-prescription lenses, or do you mean inserts as in prescription lenses that replace the non-script lenses? If you mean the latter, then Sports Optical--as well as other such places--can work with several brands.

I don't know if there are any labs figuring optical prescriptions into one piece wrap around lenses. Doing so doesn't present any technical problems, but the equipment investment is a bit more pricey. If labs aren't doing it now, they will be in the future (At our university, our mirror lab is in the process of figuring two different mirror prescriptions on one 8.4m glass blank. So from the center to radius 1, there will be one focal length, and from radius 1 to the edge of the clear aperture, there will be a second focal length. If that can be done on 55.5 square meters and 20+ tons of glass, it can be done on a dinky one piece shield for cycling glasses.).

i mean those that are in separate inserts so i can change the lens colors more easily.

my optometrist told me the samething as scirocco said, that since those glasses are kind of curvy and wraps around your eyes, with prescription on "curvy" lenses, it might messes up the vision as the eyes will force more to focus on view things.
so i thought if it was separate inserts then it shouldn't be a problem? they won't be as curved as the cycling glasses?

zaku said:
i mean those that are in separate inserts so i can change the lens colors more easily.

You can do the same with prescription lenses, but you have to have prescription lenses in different colors.

zaku said:
my optometrist told me the samething as scirocco said, that since those glasses are kind of curvy and wraps around your eyes, with prescription on "curvy" lenses, it might messes up the vision as the eyes will force more to focus on view things.
so i thought if it was separate inserts then it shouldn't be a problem? they won't be as curved as the cycling glasses?

No, that's not really the case. The lenses would be made, as all prescription eye lenses are, to produce a new "system" with a better focal range. The eye isn't forced to "focus more." As far as the eye can see, more things are in focus.

All things being equal, inserts would tend toward distorting images more as a result of their much shorter focal length and bigger angular field of view. However, things are rarely "all equal." Prescription wrap around lenses can be made bad, just as inserts can. With that said, my Rudy Kerosenes show no noticeable aberrations.

Other problems that are sometimes or often seen with inserts are that they fog much more easily (There's less air moving by their surfaces), and some folks' eyelashes touch them, causing some discomfort.

As is the case with all prescription lenses, the worse your prescription, the more likely there is to be aberrations as you look farther off the optical axis (i.e., the more you look away from straight ahead).

According to my problem,which is same as you had.I would like to share about my experience.Both of my eyes have around 700+power long sightedness problem and I wanted to buy a cycling glasses at the beginning.First of all,i had a problem about riding when wearing normal glasses that is when i was sweating on my face,i had to keep push my normal glasses up or else it fall like an old guy who is cycling.Then I started to search for a nice striking cycling glasses.I found the prescription solution.I bought a cycling glasses with prescription but it didnt came with the prescription lense holder.I wasnt aware that the local optic shop did not sell it.When I brought it to the shop and the optic boss told me that they didnt sell the prescription lense holder and the glasses is not suitable for me.At that time I cant accept it because the glasses I newly bought really scratched my pocket.Next I tried to contact the seller of the glasses but he told me that he cant get it for the time being.Then I think for a solution and came out WITH a solution(it was quite desperate at that time).I try to cycle with that glasses without using prescription.At first it was not easy to get use to it.But time after time I think it didnt make much different for me now.

So how much is your eye's power??Is it higher than I do??Or slightly lower??It may sounds mad and this way is not recommended except you got no more option like me. :D

Emp said:
I bought a cycling glasses with prescription but it didnt came with the prescription lense holder.I wasnt aware that the local optic shop did not sell it.When I brought it to the shop and the optic boss told me that they didnt sell the prescription lense holder and the glasses is not suitable for me.At that time I cant accept it because the glasses I newly bought really scratched my pocket... :D
What brand are your glasses? Post it here and someone may be able to provide a link to an online store where you can buy the insert, if you still want it. You're lucky, though, being long-sighted - you can probably get away with no correction, as you are currently doing.

Ooops sorry I think what I had is short-sightness not long. :D

And about the glasses.Yeah the dealer contacted me that he already got the prescription lense holder stock now after 3 months or so.

alienator said:
You can do the same with prescription lenses, but you have to have prescription lenses in different colors.

yea that was an issue because i think it's much more expensive to replace prescription lenses than just the lenses itself if i just need to change colors.

Emp said:
So how much is your eye's power??Is it higher than I do??Or slightly lower??It may sounds mad and this way is not recommended except you got no more option like me. :D

i don't remember mine but i got strong blurry sightness. i thought the same too and i tried to ride without my current glasses just to see if it works but i can't. unless i ride like 10km/h lol..

Rudy's are as nice as they come and I use them for those days when I wear contact lenses ( which is becoming rarer),

My prescription is high enough that I cannot get prescription Rudy's ; At the moment the only glasses I have been able to find with an insert that will take my prescription are Bolle's.

The Parole is actually a fine glass, interchangeable lenses, etc but I don't find that they feel as solid as the Rudy's.

I suppose one of these days I will start snooping around again and see if I can get a high index lens in the rudy's. It will NOT be cheap though.

High index, progressive lens = big $$.

I have a strong prescription with tried Rudy's insert but insert was too close to my eyes and my eyelashes actually touched the lens. My reccommendation is look at Alpina eyewear . They were able to provide lens not inserts with adequate wrap around to fit my RX They are excellent glasses. Good Luck