Cycling glasses

Helter75

Jun 3, 2016
Hey everyone.
I am living in a rather dirty and dusty town so I can't really ride without glasses. At first I tried ordinary vision glasses but that didn't really work out. Now I'm wearing these but I don't really like the style - I feel like I'm participating in some kind of a perverted Deus Ex cosplay. Any advice for glasses with a simpler design?

2597_1big.jpg

This thread made me realize that I should have been wearing that glasses in the picture. I wear contact lenses and I usually ride with it for it is inconvenient wearing eyeglasses. But that protective glasses would be good for eye protection especially for one with contact lenses. Dust is very common when riding during the dry season especially that more than half the roads in our village are dirt roads. You can imagine the flying dust when a vehicle speeds up, leaving me with a smoke of dust.

I like cheap safety glasses.

On my road bike with drop handlebars, I look for the type that does not have a frame above the lens. I make sure I try them on first and if I find them suitable, I buy a bunch and store them because I am tuff on glasses and they get scratched up pretty easily. I need to wear glasses for wind protection because my eyes are sensitive.

I am really happy if I can find some under 5 bucks or even cheaper. Consider them disposable.

It looks cool though. But if you live in a dusty area, maybe consider purchasing a mask as well, as the dust would probably be pretty terrible for your lungs, and that it would really be a terrible biking experience in general, as you would have to hold your breath when dust clouds enter the scene, and you would have a harder time maneuvering the trail when that happens. Just a thought though, and maybe you're better with it than without.

I first realized the importance of protecting my eyes when I was riding my Moped several years ago. Living in the country, and riding down dirt or blacktop roads, there tend to be a lot of bugs--some of them quite big--especially in the summertime.

Add to that, a constant speed of 35 miles per hour, and a bug hitting splat! in the middle of your forehead--well, needless to say that was one of the worst headaches I think I've ever had.

The next day, I bought a helmet with a visor. I know that probably wouldn't be right for a bike rider, but you might check around to see if there's a combo that would work. That way, you wouldn't have several pieces to worry about.

I would feel naked without my cycling glasses. I love my Rudy Project glasses that also have my normal glasses prescription lenses behind the sunglasses. The Prescription lenses can snap right out if I wanted to wear them as just sunglasses. The glasses wrap around the face a little preventing anything from coming in from the sides.

Hey everyone.
I am living in a rather dirty and dusty town so I can't really ride without glasses. At first I tried ordinary vision glasses but that didn't really work out. Now I'm wearing these but I don't really like the style - I feel like I'm participating in some kind of a perverted Deus Ex cosplay. Any advice for glasses with a simpler design?

View attachment 1721

Those are fine because since they're made of plastic like all cycling glasses to save weight because modern generation of heads can't support the weight of a really nice pair of laminated glass lens that is both highly unbreakable and virtually scratch proof, and since those are made of plastic you'll be buying new pair next season anyways due to all the scratches that will happen to them, and yours will get scratched up sooner rather than later due to the sand you spoke of. So I would just wait till next season to buy a pair. And a word of advice, don't buy anything expensive because they're all made of plastic and they all will scratch no matter what they claim which means a $400 pair of glasses will have to be replaced just about every season or two if your lucky, a nice pair of Tifosi sunglasses are inexpensive compared to most other sunglasses for cycling and yet still have optically pure lenses and stylish looks.

by the way I'm not sure how anyone can ride a bike without eye protection, even if for some odd reason the sun doesn't affect your eyes, which it eventually will with cataracts when you get older due to sun damage, but riding creates wind blasting at your eyes which will dry them out causing intense eye pain, not to mention bugs, pollen, other forms of grit hitting your eyes. Unless you're just tooling slowly around the block or at some park you need glasses.

Hey everyone.

View attachment 1721
Why are you looking for simpleer design? This design of this one is the best.

Cycling glasses are very important. In fact, all the cyclist should wear these glasses. They protect us from the dirt and the other elements on the road. I never went get out of my house without these glasses and I consider them very important. The pictures of the glasses posted above looks really amazing.

If you'd like to try them out, here's a link that will get you to the brand web page: click here
Hope that helped ;)
Thank yo very much. I appreciate this post. It's a wonderful glass and it's very cheap. I would definitely buy it. These type of glasses are really important for every cyclist and I would recommend this glass to everyone.

Reactions: divinemaredi
Cycling glasses are pretty great to protect our eyes from the elements and we can get them pretty cheap.

Now, go out and get yourself some big black frames with the glass so dark, they won't even know your name.
And the choice is up to you 'cause they come in two classes, Rhinestone shades or cheap sunglasses.

Whatever Nashbar, Performance, Colorado Cyclist, etc. put on sale for $20 or less works for me.
Cheap.
Disposable.
Stylish.

Although you don't like the style of those glasses, I do think that they are one of the best options available - simply because of the fact that they cover the whole of your eyes, meaning that they are protected as best they can be from all of the dirt and the dust that might be flying up at you while you're cycling. That is what I wear when I riding, but annoyingly mine cost a lot of money as I had to have prescription lenses put into them.

I also wear contact lenses and getting dust or any sort of dirt under them feels horrible. Therefore, I tend to wear some sort of sunglasses on my eyes when riding my bike. I have usually worn my regular, urban sunglasses, but after some time I bought specialized sunglasses for runners/cyclists, similar to the ones in OP's first post. They have served me pretty well so far and I recommend it to anyone cycling in dusty environments or cycling during hot summer days where sunlight is also a problem.

Cycling glasses are an important part of the cycling gear for me aswell, and while there's nothing actually wrong with my eyes, they're important to not only block out the sun itself, but also take away some of the glare that can affect your vision when cycling.