Cycling Glossary

Lee

Guest
Could any of you expert(!) cyclists please give us a bit of a glossary of cycling terms people will
hear on this forum, i personally dont know my pannier from my derallieur!!

Lee

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 10:29:11 +0100, "Lee"
<gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> in
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Could any of you expert(!) cyclists please give us a bit of a glossary of cycling terms people will
>hear on this forum, i personally dont know my pannier from my derallieur!!

Your derallieur changes your gear. your pannier *stores* your gear.

Love and luggage from Rich x

--
If ingnorance is bliss then I am the erm er luckiest thingy in the whatchamacallit. To mail me,
change the obvious bit to richard

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Could any of you expert(!) cyclists please give us a bit of a glossary of cycling terms people
> will hear on this forum, i personally dont know my pannier from my derallieur!!

As always, the Master has the answers.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/glossary.html

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

As ever, Guru Sheldon has the answer:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/glossary.html

For the low down on the Paving Slab Fairy and why you should never mention camper vans, I have this
page on my site:

http://www.chapmancentral.com/Web/public.nsf/Documents/uk-rec-cycling

--
Guy
===

Richard Bates <[email protected]> wrote:

> >Could any of you expert(!) cyclists please give us a bit of a glossary of cycling terms people
> >will hear on this forum, i personally dont know my pannier from my derallieur!!
>
> Your derallieur changes your gear. your pannier *stores* your gear.

Much like the difference between Diaorea and Depression.

Depression is when it feels like the bottom has fallen out of your world

Diaorea is when it feels like the world has fallen out of your bottom.

--
Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

> "Lee"
<gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com>
> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> As ever, Guru Sheldon has the answer:
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/glossary.html
>
> For the low down on the Paving Slab Fairy and why you should never mention camper vans, I have
> this page on my site:
>
> http://www.chapmancentral.com/Web/public.nsf/Documents/uk-rec-cycling

According to your site Guy, I'm supposed to be providing an official faq. Did I have one too many
one night and say I was going to draw one up? I don't remember :)

> According to your site Guy, I'm supposed to be providing an official faq. Did I have one too many
> one night and say I was going to draw one up? I don't remember :)

I think you might have done, and maybe we need one since Simon Ward's is apparently 404 these days.

--
Guy
===

Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:

> According to your site Guy, I'm supposed to be providing an official faq. Did I have one too many
> one night and say I was going to draw one up? I don't remember :)

In which case , yes you did, and I'm still waiting for the Windcheetah you promised me!

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 15:55:08 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> in
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I think you might have done, and maybe we need one since Simon Ward's is apparently 404 these days.

There is a part of it archived here:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?P5C1566C5 or http://groups.google.com/groups?q=group:uk.rec.cycling+in-
subject:faq+insubject:proto+author:simon+author:ward&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&scoring=d&selm=5js-
vsd%2424k%241%40netty.york.ac.uk&rnum=1
--
If ingnorance is bliss then I am the erm er luckiest thingy in the whatchamacallit. To mail me,
change the obvious bit to richard

> "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > According to your site Guy, I'm supposed to be providing an official
faq.
> > Did I have one too many one night and say I was going to draw one up? I don't remember :)
>

> I think you might have done, and maybe we need one since Simon Ward's is apparently 404
> these days.

Google groups showed this exchange on 8 JUN 01:

> Simon Ward
> 1. Does anyone have a copy of the old `monolithic' FAQ hidden away on their hard disk or in their
> browser cache? If so, could you send me a copy (text or HTML, I'm not fussed) as I wish to
> transplant bits of it into the `new' FAQ (this is a long shot, but you never know)

Simon Mason: "I found the full "Proto FAQ" from 1997 if that's any use."
----------------
That's the extent of my relationship with the faq as far as I'm aware. Anyway, here is that
proto faq.

This message contains information on how to obtain the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) list for the
uk.rec.cycling newsgroup. It will be posted to the newsgroup on a quasi-weekly basis (ie. when I get
round to it!)

uk.rec.cycling is a USENET forum for the discussion of topics relating to cycling in the UK and (to
a lesser extent) Ireland. It does not contain the American bias of groups such as rec.bicycles.misc
and rec.bicycles.tech. Discussion of all aspects of cycling and human-powered transport is welcomed.

The scope of the FAQ is purposely restricted to issues relevant to cyclists in the UK and Ireland.
For more general information on cycling/human powered transport, you are referred to the newsgroups
`rec.bicycles.misc' and `rec.bicycles.tech', which have their own FAQs

The FAQ itself is posted to uk.rec.cycling on a quasi-monthly basis and is maintained by Simon Ward
([email protected]).

HOW TO GET THE FAQ
------------------

The uk.rec.cycling FAQ can be obtained by any one of three methods:

1. The World Wide Web. The FAQ can be obtained from the following URL:

http://halibut.york.ac.uk/faq.html

2. Anonymous FTP If you don't have web access, a plain text version of the FAQ can be obtained via
anonymous FTP. FTP to halibut.york.ac.uk (144.32.34.34), login as `anonymous' and enter your
email address as a password. Change directory to `/pub/uk.rec.cycling' and download the file
`urcFAQ.txt'.

3. Via email If have neither Web nor FTP access, the current version of the FAQ can be obtained by
sending an email to `[email protected]'

WHAT'S IN THE FAQ?
------------------

The uk.rec.cycling FAQ is not an exhaustive document. It is still under development and as such,
will not contain answers to every conceivable question. However, it does have answers to *some* of
the more common questions that arise on the newsgroup. The topics currently covered in the FAQ are
as follows:

- What is uk.rec.cycling?
- A Brief Guide to UK cycling organisations
- I want to buy a custom frame - who can I contact?
- What UK cycling magazines are there?
- I want to get my bike(s) insured - how do I go about it?
- What cycle routes exist within the UK?
- I'm after a book on cycle maintainence and/or wheel building - which should I buy?
- What are the rules concerning bikes on trains?
- What good mail order outlets are there?
- What's the situation regarding LED lights?
- I'd like to buy a dynamo for my bike - which should I buy?
- What is a DataTag?
- Where can I get information about races and other cycling events?
- I'm very small/tall and can't find a bike to fit. What do I do?
- I'd like to go on a cycling holiday - who offers such things?
- Which panniers should I buy?
- I'm going touring for the first time - what should I take?
- What is the `End-To-End'? How do I go about doing it?
- How can I go about transporting my bike(s) on my car?
- I want to buy a trailer/trailerbike for my child. What is available?
- Is there a definitive way of determining correct saddle height?
- I'm looking to buy a new saddle for my bike, what would you recommend?
- My chain keeps skipping on my cassette/freewheel - what should I do?
- Are there any UK cycling e-mail lists?

In general, maintainence topics are avoided since these are fairly extensively covered in the
rec.bicycles FAQ (available on the web at http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq.html), although the
queries which recur a lot are included.

Certain portions of the FAQ are sketchier than others - this is because I do much of the writing
myself and have to rely on others for contributions (see below) - if there's something that you
want to see in the FAQ, submit it.

SUBMITTING INFORMATION FOR THE FAQ
----------------------------------

The overall success and usefulness of the FAQ depends on the input of others, and the current
state of the FAQ owes much to the contributions submitted by readers of the newsgroup. If you have
any information which you think should go in the FAQ, send it to:

[email protected]

Your name will be added to the list of contributors *unless* you specify that you wish to remain
anonymous. I am indebted to the following people for their contribution to the FAQ as it stands now:

> For the low down on the Paving Slab Fairy and why you should never mention camper vans, I have
> this page on my site:

Speaking of which, I wonder if he sold the c*mper van? ;-)

Pete